Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch help!

Options
  • 16-06-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭

Hi!
    I'm in USA for summer and I was given a project today at work. In the office at work, there is a button that will open a gate 5 seconds walk away. At the moment, the gate is only open when the button is pressed. So it is difficult for the office guy to press the button and open the gate simultaneously. I am charged with altering the circuit to the point where the gate will remain open for 10 seconds or so after the button is pressed.
    It has been years since I have done anything like this so here is what I'm thinking.
    Three options:

1. Maybe a capacitor and relay or something that will hold the charge and have the gate open for ten or so seconds?

2. When the button is pressed, it stays on until the gate is opened, being stopped by a limit switch on the gate?

3. A combination of the two?
    I appreciate all the help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Just get a timer relay, so when the input is triggered it's output will remain active for 10 seconds.

You could also use a relay and a normally closed reed/limit switch to hold the power on till the gate is physically opened. Disadvantage here is that power will be held on till the door is opened.

Advertisement