Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics: show that sound is a wave motion.

• 16-06-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Describe an experiment to show that sound is a wave motion.

I have no idea! Help please. Marking scheme doesn't make it easy to work out which experiment they want.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

Tuning fork and spin it beside your ear. I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheRepeat

I'm not sure about the marking scheme but I would probably do the bell-jar experiment that shows that sound needs a medium to travel through therefore a wave? You could also do the signal generator+loudspeakers one that shows the interference of waves as interference proves indefinately that sound is a wave .. Hope this is off some help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Strike a tuning fork and then hold a fork of the same frequency but not struck beside it. That fork will begin vibrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Strike a tuning fork and then hold a fork of the same frequency but not struck beside it. That fork will begin vibrating.
    That sounds like proving resonance, would that suffice for proving a wave?

For what I have, it's just strike a tuning fork, rotate it slowly near your ear while it's vibrating, observe the volume increase and decrease, which shows the waves undergo interference, which proves it's a wave.

The criteria for proving stuff is a wave is usually showing it can be polarised or it undergoes interference (constructive or destructive) with another wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

I is certain my way is correct!
    Bang tuning fork
    Rotate tuning fork beside
    ear
    Hear loud, soft, loud, soft

Due to constructive and
    destructive interference.
    Sound shows interference
    so sound is a wave

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I think you get two speakers playing the same sound and you put them maybe a metre or so apart and walk in line with them and a couple of feet away, observing that there are loud spots and quiet spots. That indicates that there's interference going on, which means that sound must travel in waves.

That's how we do it anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

That method with the speakers and the tuning fork is the exact same phenomenon, both ways are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AlanBr

Obtain a tuning fork.
    Strike the tuning fork off a table.
    Place the tuning fork by your ear.
    Rotate the tuning fork.
    You will notice the sound waxing and waning.
    This shows constructive and destructive interference which proves sound is a wave motion.

There you go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

they both do the same job!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They are not looking for a specific experiment, just any one that demonstrates that sound is a wave motion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

AlanBr wrote: »
    Obtain a tuning fork.
    Strike the tuning fork off a table.
    Place the tuning fork by your ear.
    Rotate the tuning fork.
    You will notice the sound waxing and waning.
    This shows constructive and destructive interference which proves sound is a wave motion.

There you go :)

Bit of an unnecessary step I think. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Bit of an unnecessary step I think. :p
    You'd be surprised, they marked down in physics one year for not saying "turn on the multimeter" when showing the factors affecting capacitance.

Advertisement