Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mass Card

• 16-06-2011 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭

If someone dies thats a friend of yours who believes in a different faith, should you give a mass card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

no for me send them a nice letter telling them you are sorry for their loss . there are nice cards cards out there too you can send. a lot depends how well you know the family . i am not roman catholic as you can guess . even if you send mass card most people see it as a good deed and wont take offence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Bob Cratchet

If you're not sure how they would take a mass card, you can send them a with sympathy / condolences card. Most card shops stock them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand, as a Catholic, I'd agree with previous posters sentiments. However I think if you feel it appropriate in the circumstances as a gesture of remembrance, then it would be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No, I wouldnt. Just get a plain Sympathy Card without any Religion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

Another non Catholic here.

Could someone clarify is it appropriate and even allowed, from a Catholic perspective, to say a Mass for a deceased person "who believes in a different faith"? If it's not then a Mass card is not a good idea I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Athiest here. I had the opposite dilemma recently. A parent of a close friend died. Whilst I have no religious belief I was aware that the grieving family are very religious and although a mass card means nothing to me it would be appreciated by them at this time. I would usually send a standard sympathy card but chose to give a mass card. The rule for me is give what you think would be best received.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Slav wrote: »
    Could someone clarify is it appropriate and even allowed, from a Catholic perspective, to say a Mass for a deceased person "who believes in a different faith"? If it's not then a Mass card is not a good idea I guess.
    From a Catholic point of view, it's perfectly fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Eleven years old! This is your second post about condolence cards (the other one was a 13 year old thread). Are you selling them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Quitelife

As someone who lost a parent too young I still have the Mass cards years later and they brought comfort to read when times were low .

RIP.ie has taken a lot of this market now but id still send Mass cards and even special Mass intentions cards and people do be very appreciative of the effort I went to .

most people on boards seem to be atheists but there’s a very large amount of people in society who appreciate Mass cards .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Mass cards are always nice ways to evoke the departed even for those who don't believe, from what I see. People are grateful to me at least, and definitely my Mam who sends them most of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mass cards are a sign and assurance of loving sympathy and caring - and so much more - at a hard time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod: This thread has been hauled back into life from 11 years ago, however the topic is still valid so I will leave it open.

Do remember though that this is the Christianity forum, which includes all aspects of Christianity.

Non-mod opinion - While Mass cards would be an obvious choice for Catholics, and may well be gratefully received by non-Catholics in the spirit in which they are given, it might be more considerate to think about the recipient and judge whether a Mass card, a Christian sympathy card or even a completely neutral card might be more appropriate.

Advertisement