Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airtricity >> ESB move resulting in horrendous bill

• 16-06-2011 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

*edit*
    Ok - I had some details wrong - just got the full story there... (see below)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

zacseph wrote: »
    Ok... so a friend who I lived with (actually moved out a year ago) had just moved to airtricity with his current room-mate 2 months ago. He just got charged 700 euro for mischarged bills over the last 2 years (apparently they never read the meter until he submitted the new reading when he switched).
    This seems kinda crazy to me, and i'm wondering if there's any policies governing how much they can charge at once, or how far back they can go or something?

What seems crazy to me is that the meter reading wasn't submitted to the ESB for over two years.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If the electricity was used, then your friend is liable for it. The ESB should be paid. However, given that it is a hefty bill, his best bet is to ring the ESB and work out an installment plan with them.

Make sure to keep the installments reasonable (offering to pay E10 p/m is bit of a joke). Given than an average 2 month bill is in the region of E150, then I would consider 6-12 months a reasonable timeframe over which to pay the E700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

Ok - excuse me - I was way off - the bills were actually on Airtricity for the past 2 years.
    They got some kind of average based on past usage and every 6 months gave a bill for any extra usage when they checked the meter.
    there was an extra 300 to 400 owed every 6 months which we assumed was being taken each month based on new estimates...
    Now, when we lived there, there were 2 of us all both with computers and home alot during the day, so I can imagine the extra.
    Since we moved out, their usage has plummeted quite a bit, but somehow the final reading was almost twice the usual usage.
    He has just switched back to esb now and Airtricity took a balance of 700 euro on the account.
    The first step obviously will be to check the reading on the meter to be sure, but that will have to wait until saturday when the landlord comes as we don't have a key for the meter...
    (sorry for the confusion)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭discostu1

Just to clarify your mate was with Airtricity for 2 years,
    Did he/she sign up for their wonderful monthly direct debit??
    If so he/she can count themselves luck its only €700
    Have a read sound familiar

http://householdsaving.blogspot.com/

Any of the dealings family or friends have had with them have been appalling ESB is now cheaper and most here seem to think have better customer care, so no contest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ok - excuse me - I was way off - the bills were actually on Airtricity for the past 2 years.
    They got some kind of average based on past usage and every 6 months gave a bill for any extra usage when they checked the meter.
    there was an extra 300 to 400 owed every 6 months which we assumed was being taken each month based on new estimates...
    Now, when we lived there, there were 2 of us all both with computers and home alot during the day, so I can imagine the extra.
    Since we moved out, their usage has plummeted quite a bit, but somehow the final reading was almost twice the usual usage.
    He has just switched back to esb now and Airtricity took a balance of 700 euro on the account.
    The first step obviously will be to check the reading on the meter to be sure, but that will have to wait until saturday when the landlord comes as we don't have a key for the meter...
    Call or write to esb networks, get the address online and ask them to send you out a key for the meter, or buy one in any hardware shop for a euro or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Call or write to esb networks, get the address online and ask them to send you out a key for the meter, or buy one in any hardware shop for a euro or two.

Dont think esb networks post them out, you need to contact your supplier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Get a key in any hardware store, or just use a pliers. Until he reads the meter, he won't know what the situation is. If Airtricity were owed money, then they have every right to take it when the account is closed.

If he didn't read the meter before switching, then that's his problem, but whatever was used and not paid for needs to be paid for. If a reading was done, and there was a deficit in what had been paid, then the balance will be due when the switch over happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

It amazes me how people dispute a large bill, but they would never question a large credit due back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭discostu1

IF your with ESB ring them at 1850372372 and they will send out a key free of charge, as others have said get a reading. I agree you need to pay whatever is owing but dont think our Airtricity friends are blameless either

Advertisement