Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PostGrad. Course - help!

Options
  • 16-06-2011 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

Maybe someone can advise me on the following -

I've just finished a BA (English & Classics) and I'm in the process of applying for postgraduate courses.

Last Christmas, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and due to the severity of my symptoms at that time, I was forced to defer two of my exams until this coming August. I was assured by the arts faculty of my university that my exams would be considered a first sitting and that my deferral would not result in any repercussions in applying for futher study.

Fast forward to June - I have found myself in a situation whereby my course application is considered ineligible (because of the timing of my final exam results). I have been told outright by the department in question that they cannot consider my application. However, I was under the impression that should one find themselves in the unfavourable position of deferrals, you could be granted conditional offers until such time as your results become available.

I find this whole situation highly unjustifiable, and rather discriminatory - I should have the same opportunities as those who sat their exam last Christmas. I have received all of my other results, with first class honours.

I don't know where to go from here. Any advice in disputing this decision by the dept. in question?

:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Moved from Graduates to Postgraduates.
    OP: I would encourage you to reach out to your year head and the school you're applying to to see if they can do anything for you..

Advertisement