Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BLUE BLOODS (RTE)

• 16-06-2011 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Have watched a few episodes now and wondering what the general consensus is? I was drawn to the series by Tom Selleck who I remembered from Magnum PI.

The good points is-its comforting to have a cop show that is more white than grey in moral tone. It was becoming way too clichéd -the dirty or troubled cop. I also like the family of cops concept .
    The negative points-Selleck is too grumpy for my liking and seems to have gone into over serious modes. He was never that great an actor but he had charm-which he seems to have lost. He doesnt have range of looks to replace the charm. The stories are generally formulaic and are tied up a little too neatly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I enjoyed the series as a whole but the whole family sitting down for dinner scenes were annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Watched a lot of them when Sky Atlantic started, but gave up. Found them to be too 'wishy washy' for my liking. Hill Street Blues, The Wire etc.. it a'int!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the series as a whole but the whole family sitting down for dinner scenes were annoying.

why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

I love the whole family dinner thing at the table. Its somthing that is missing from this country. We did it every day and sunday when I was in new york for three weeks. It felt right we could all talk about our day etc.

I love this programme. Even one of the characters is a boyle like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

RichT wrote: »
    Watched a lot of them when Sky Atlantic started, but gave up. Found them to be too 'wishy washy' for my liking. Hill Street Blues, The Wire etc.. it a'int!
    This. Why can't all cop shows be like the Wire and the Shield:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭patmac

Seen it all before, very clichéd. Couldn't understand
    Why they asked the rookie Regan to infiltrate the secret society that was suspected of killing his brother a few hours after he graduated, like wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I love it. There's at least one glaring error or cringey moment in each episode, but damned if it ain't beautifully shot. And I like Donny. In fact, I like all the Reagans. They're like real people, only better :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Dymo

Watched about 8 episodes and thought how could they make a high budget series with such bad storylines. Same crap every week that gets tiring very quickly. Very little character development even though they have a good cast. Its seems all they need in New York is one family to fight crime. The detective solves all the cases and gets every break going. Just not my cup of tea, when I'm used to so many quality TV shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

patmac wrote: »
    Seen it all before, very clichéd. Couldn't understand
    Why they asked the rookie Regan to infiltrate the secret society that was suspected of killing his brother a few hours after he graduated, like wtf

I suppose that
    they reckoned a new rookie wouldn'y be corrupted yet and as he was a Regan, he was likely to be invited to join at some point - also he would be motivated to find out if his brother was killed by dirty cops or not

why?

I like my cop shows to be about solving crimes, not a morality discussion at the dinner table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

I find it awful tbh. Its soooooo bland, its like a soap opera rahter than a cop show.

To think this is getting great ratings while the likes of Chicago Code and Detroit 1-8-7 have been cancelled makes me sad!

Generatic sugar sweet tosh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Dymo wrote: »
    Watched about 8 episodes and thought how could they make a high budget series with such bad storylines. Same crap every week that gets tiring very quickly. Very little character development even though they have a good cast. Its seems all they need in New York is one family to fight crime. The detective solves all the cases and gets every break going. Just not my cup of tea, when I'm used to so many quality TV shows.

Not even. Donnie thinks he's Jack Bauer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I like it apart from the Cosby Show antics at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Great series I think. Brings me back to all those cop shows I used to watch at home as a kid. the likes of Kojak and Mannix,other names escape me!

The whole New York background really makes it as well.

Nothing wrong with good,tidy storylines like this as far as I concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mankell

I've watched 3 episodes of this programme. I find it cringy and corney. There are clichés all over it and some of the acting is just plain bad. I wasn't expecting the Wire but this thing doesn't work on any level. I'm going to give up unless someone tells me it get much much better soon. Btw Breaking Bad is the best series since The Wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Having watched it, i hope they make another series, but I agree with others that the endings do seem to be tidied up very neatly. Plenty of good storylines though and good cast. Bridget Moynahan is hot

I did hear that Tom Selleck wasn't overly pleased the the whole family thing so maybe we will see some changes. I certainly hope so.

Not overtly impressed with it so far. Watched a few more episodes. Its a bit twee. Selleck looks really tired. The years have not been kind to him sad to say. Will see it out to end of season but they really would want to spice it up a bit. Its like the Cosby cop show to borrow from another poster's description.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Selleck looks really tired. The years have not been kind to him sad to say.

Hope Len Cariou (the actor who plays Sellecks father) doesn't read this....

He's only six years older than Tom. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

One word............ bland.
    Ten words............ Could not give a fuck for any of the characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

For me, the family orientated style is what makes it. I really enjoyed it. If they were just separate cops around New York it would just be another Cop Drama - the Reagans gel it all into one. No harm in a bit of morality either!

The one con I'd give it is that it's relatively predictable in so far as we know there will be some difficult crime to solve but worry not as it will be solved within the hour!

All that said, I like how it's made and I enjoy every episode! I do hope though that the second series will have more on-going subplots influencing each individual episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Soft, safe, boring, bland
    Watched four episodes, I won't be back

I'm watching the now cancelled Detroit 187 over this
    And I miss the superb Chicago Code, also cancelled!

Yet this show gets a second season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭LGiamani

The only thing I like about the series is the hot young cop Will Estes my mind cannot concentrate on anything else when I'm watching the programme. He is one sexy cop I hope I get pulled up some day by a garda who is similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The last episode on how they solved it was pretty weak - I think they could have easily continued it in to the second season

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I like my cop shows to be about solving crimes, not a morality discussion at the dinner table.

and just ever so slightly biased to the political right morality preaching at that.

Ellian wrote: »
    and just ever so slightly biased to the political right morality preaching at that.

Interesting point. It is certainly right wing. You get no analysis of the circumstances that create crime. Im going to watch this to the end for various reasons. I got tired of watching dark troubled cop shows and wanted something a bit more straightforward but this show does tend to be overtly bland. I honestly dont think Selleck has that great an acting range and he no longer has the looks for the ladies.

He could have got some work on those bags under his eyes! Oh im being so shallow!

Will see it out until the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

It is certainly right wing. You get no analysis of the circumstances that create crime.

Didn't really get that at all.

It's mainly about solving a crime, why would a cop care about the circumstances that created the crime? It's his job to solve it, not fix the social/economic problems in New York. Most police shows only deal with the actual crime.

• Advertisement

Well Selleck says several times " I dont get the Grey". Actually a lot of times its middle class criminals they seem to arrest. Last episode I saw " smack down" had Selleck aligning himself with the Catholic Church at the end. " you were there for the Regans in the Past"
    It could be read as simply being loyal to your friends but I really think it was pointing to valuing religion as a force for good .I dont mind that or the family values but the " I dont get the grey" in terms of right or wrong-Im not sure about that black or white thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kilronan

My upc box was down on Tuesday so didnt record...anyone know if blue bloods is repeated Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

kilronan wrote: »
    My upc box was down on Tuesday so didnt record...anyone know if blue bloods is repeated Thanks

RTE doesn't show repeats of it.

RTE Player has it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

They are an old skool Catholic family, rooted in public service....like alot of NY and Boston Irish families are, it makes perfect sense to me, in fact i'd say a Conservative Catholic is kinda bog standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Yea, a lot of cringey moments in it but i have to say i liked it and am lookin forward to the 2nd season.

I think the last episode seemed a bit rused thought the Blue templar would have went on into the 2nd season.

for people that think Tom Selleck is too serious in it at the end of the day he is the top cop of New York which has to be a pretty stressful job so i like him in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

bungler wrote: »
    Yea, a lot of cringey moments in it but i have to say i liked it and am lookin forward to the 2nd season.

I think the last episode seemed a bit rused thought the Blue templar would have went on into the 2nd season.

for people that think Tom Selleck is too serious in it at the end of the day he is the top cop of New York which has to be a pretty stressful job so i like him in it.
    spoilers....

Well Selleck says several times " I dont get the Grey". Actually a lot of times its middle class criminals they seem to arrest. Last episode I saw " smack down" had Selleck aligning himself with the Catholic Church at the end. " you were there for the Regans in the Past"It could be read as simply being loyal to your friends but I really think it was pointing to valuing religion as a force for good .I dont mind that or the family values but the " I dont get the grey" in terms of right or wrong-Im not sure about that black or white thinking.

I don't remember the exact details of the episode but Frank asked the Bishop (or Cardinal?) to ask the principal of the school to let the police search the lockers, reminding him that the church doesn't need to be seen covering up something else. They don't ignore the churches bad deeds and they have nothing to do with the show.
    Maybe the character does see religion as a force for good? Disagreeing with a character's point of view doesn't seem like a great reason to dislike the show (the dodgy storylines are). Same with you seeing the show as right wing, maybe the characters are right wing a lot of Americans are, what's wrong with it?

While it can be kind of simplistic I don't think the show is completely black and white as you make it out to be, I'm actually pretty sick of Danny being a cop that walks/crosses the line.

I don't get what you mean by "Actually a lot of times its middle class criminals they seem to arrest."

They dont arrest young black men for instance. Most of the guys they arrest are not from the lower socio economic groupings -its as if they just want to avoid making any social commentary or being realistic. Im prob being overtly pedantic.

The key criticism remains-The plots are too simplistic and wrapped up way too quickly.

I like family life scenes and happy ones at that but they go way OTT here. Im going to see it to the end of season one but beyond that unless it throws a bit of dirt or work on better plots into it-Im out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Masked Man wrote: »
    Didn't really get that at all.

It's mainly about solving a crime, why would a cop care about the circumstances that created the crime? It's his job to solve it, not fix the social/economic problems in New York. Most police shows only deal with the actual crime.

+1 , i like it , its refreshing to see a show which features an entire family with such dedication to traditional values , decency and justice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'm really enjoying the series - better than that DRAWN OUT CSI crap.
    All the different levels of cop in a family - good actors, good show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭The Davestator

My main problem with it is that the whole regan family are so moral, clever, right and generally perfect in every way. Everything sellick says is a philisophical gem!

Too bland.

and it might as well play the national anthem at the end as its so pro NYPD.
    Love the theme tune though!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 electrofrog

cena wrote: »
    I love the whole family dinner thing at the table. Its somthing that is missing from this country. We did it every day and sunday when I was in new york for three weeks. It felt right we could all talk about our day etc.

I love this programme. Even one of the characters is a boyle like me.

That you Ollie :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

That you Ollie :cool:

Who's Ollie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭rednik

Enjoyed the full season, good acting with a decent cast. Selleck is very good in the role as commisioner. Looking forward to next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

adox wrote: »
    I find it awful tbh. Its soooooo bland, its like a soap opera rather than a cop show.

To think this is getting great ratings while the likes of Chicago Code and Detroit 1-8-7 have been cancelled makes me sad!

Generatic sugar sweet tosh.

Well I stuck with it since posting the above but unfortunately I still hold the same opinion.

As I have stated earlier its nice to see decent cops again as opposed to troubled cops who cross the line by a mile and are divorced blah blah blah but I just watched "RE-do" and the bit at the end was cringe making " ASSt District Attorney regan is back at her desk" that being said finally we had an episode with some darkness in it. The scenes where she was pursued added some much needed suspense. The series is overtly bland and they would want to spice it up slightly because it does tend to be a bit of a parody of the Good cop.

The young Regan Cop-what's his name? He is a terrible actor though Selleck doesn't have a great range either. The Blue templar storyline is so so boring and would want to pick up.

Just watched "Family Ties"-its so bad its good. Another great cringe/reach for trhe vomit bag speech by Selleck at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I enjoyed the show, and am glad its renewed for a second season.

But a few things that bugged me were, the Grandfather always having a similar case from back in the day to compare to the the case in the episode, and how it all gets wrapped up almost instantly in the last few mins, don't go to the toilet at 50mins in, cause Donnie is about to rip this st*t up and solve the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    , and how it all gets wrapped up almost instantly in the last few mins, don't go to the toilet at 50mins in, cause Donnie is about to rip this st*t up and solve the case.

??

isn't that what most shows do?

it they solved the case in the first 10 mins it wouldn't be much of an episode:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,978 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Danny and Jamie Reagan - huba huba :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement