Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Shampoo

• 16-06-2011 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for a decent medicated shampoo for my dog. He's scratching a lot lately, even though he's regularly treated for fleas in the summer months. I've checked him over and there's no sign of foreign sources of irritation. Vet's had a look and can see no reason why he's scratching.

I've found two shampoos that might be suitable online at Christies:

Pozer Scratch Me
    Tropiclean Oxy Med Shampoo (recommended by Christie's themselves)

Has anyone ever used either of them, and if so, what did you think of them?

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

How often is he washed normally?

Sometimes they just get a bit itchy in the summer, not that we've had much heat to irritate their skin. Does your pooch moult a large amount in the summer?
    I use Bow Wow Bouquet it's not a medicated shampoo, it's a gentle shampoo though and smells lovely. Mollys.ie stock it methinks.
    But I also use a shampoo I get at the vets in a large bottle, says on it suitable for sensative skin and none of mine have had a bad reaction to it and it leaves their coats lovely and shiney. It's just called Vet Solutions. It's a canadian product. Smells coconutty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

He's a Shih Tzu who's normally bathed every 2-3 weeks. He tends to get a bit smelly & his coat greasy if he's left any longer than that. I forgot to say he does have a grass pollen allergy which I take care of by bathing his paws in lavender oil mixed with warm water every couple of days to repel the grass mites, and rinse off the pollen.

It's interesting what you say about the Coconut smell of your shampoo - think the Tropiclean is the same type of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Tropiclean is wonderful but if I were you I would have a look at his diet and get him onto a holistic dry food for his coat and then maybe add a supplement like canni-glo or omega-aid and im pretty sure you'll see a huge difference. For immediate relief I would get some lavander oil and some tea tree oil and put a few drops of each into warm water, pour over your dog and leave for a few minutes and then wash it off with just water.

I would perhaps give him a vitamin e capsule for a week every other day - just from boots or tesco.

suziwalsh wrote: »
    Tropiclean is wonderful but if I were you I would have a look at his diet and get him onto a holistic dry food for his coat and then maybe add a supplement like canni-glo or omega-aid and im pretty sure you'll see a huge difference. For immediate relief I would get some lavander oil and some tea tree oil and put a few drops of each into warm water, pour over your dog and leave for a few minutes and then wash it off with just water.

I would perhaps give him a vitamin e capsule for a week every other day - just from boots or tesco.

Funny you should say that - I've replied to another thread asking about dog food. Mine gets Burns. I also vary his diet by giving him fish/hearts/liver/chicken mixed with brown rice & I give him a half teaspoon of cod liver oil with his food every day.

Yes - I also bathe his feet every other day with warm water with a couple of drops of lavender oil. See my earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

When I had my dog in for his last check up my vet recommended Johnsons baby shampoo. She said it was as good as any other dog shampoo. Has anyone ever tried it? I'm a bit weary myself.

• Advertisement

It's fine to use, but baby shampoo is pH balanced for human skin. A dog's pH is about 7-8 (neutral to slightly alkaline), and human's is 4.5 - 5pH.

Maybe a puppy shampoo might be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

markc1184 wrote: »
    When I had my dog in for his last check up my vet recommended Johnsons baby shampoo. She said it was as good as any other dog shampoo. Has anyone ever tried it? I'm a bit weary myself.
    It's what I use for my Labrador, about half a bottle of Johnsons with camomile diluted down to a litre in a jug with a drop or two of tea tree oil if I have it. He does only get a bath once a year or so though. Just gave him a bath with it last week and all itchiness seems to be gone for now anyway, going to take a few more weeks before he stops having a coat too soft for a lab though

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

I always use puppy shampoo for my dog cos we're at the beach a lot so I have to wash her tummy each week and her coat is always fine.

ABajaninCork, maybe put your dog on James Wellbeloved as that helps with the itchy coat and helps calm the skin. Working from the inside out y'know :D
    Its great dog food.

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/dog/lamb__rice_kibble.aspx

Advertisement