Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish credit history any use in UK?

Options
  • 16-06-2011 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

I have recently moved to the UK to work and have been living with a friend for a couple of months. I have a bank account here but no more.

I am looking now at getting myself fixed up with a credit card, buying a car (through finance or leasing), renting a (not inexpensive) house etc. I have a very good credit history in Ireland - 10 years paid up mortgage, credit cards that see good turnover but repaid in full every month, numerous loans of various terms over last 12 years which have all been paid off on time, car finance deals paid off, no overdue bills etc. Will the UK banks and finance companies be able to see that credit history? I hate the prospect of having loans declined, or missing out on the house, on the basis that I have zero credit history.

I know this is the opposite situation to many people who unfortunately want to ditch an impaired credit history on moving to the UK. Opions seem divided in previous threads as to whether UK banks can or will access this credit history.

If a mod wants to point me toward a thread that has answered this already, feel free

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 DivaGamer

I used to work in Credit Card collections for HSBC in the UK and whilst I'm not 100% certain (as I don't know much about Irish banking despite living here for two years), I'm fairly sure your Irish Credit won't be accessible.

In the UK there are 3 credit reference agencies that all creditors send information to an obtain information from - they are Equifax, Experian and Callcredit.

If your payment histories haven't been reported to those companies then a creditor in the UK won't have a record of it.

As far as a I know, Irish creditors only send these records to the Irish Credit Bureau - so no such luck I'm afraid.

Sucks for you, rocks for me - My credit in the UK was ****e when I left, no problem getting a mobile and overdraft over here though! :-p

Advertisement