Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance payment.

Options
  • 16-06-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

A bit p'd off with my insurance company, a lot to do with the fact I feel they have me over a barrel:mad:

My situation is that due to the fact that I just changed jobs and was a few weeks out of work I'm low on money. I ring my insurance company and ask them is there anyway they can help me out with this months payment, deferred, spread out over the rest of my policy or whatever.

They tell me the best they can do is when I default on the 22nd of this month, they can wait till the end of the month.

I've been with them nearly 3 years and never missed a payment and have only 3 payments left this year.
    Am I asking for too much (my madness could be blinding me)

Also if my payments are spread out over 8 instalments, does this mean 4 payments = half of policy = 6 months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    A bit p'd off with my insurance company, a lot to do with the fact I feel they have me over a barrel:mad:

My situation is that due to the fact that I just changed jobs and was a few weeks out of work I'm low on money. I ring my insurance company and ask them is there anyway they can help me out with this months payment, deferred, spread out over the rest of my policy or whatever.

They tell me the best they can do is when I default on the 22nd of this month, they can wait till the end of the month.

I've been with them nearly 3 years and never missed a payment and have only 3 payments left this year.
    Am I asking for too much (my madness could be blinding me)

Also if my payments are spread out over 8 instalments, does this mean 4 payments = half of policy = 6 months?

Hi

I'm not sure what way would have your installments spread, but I've been with several companies Axa, Hibernian, Quinn... and what seems to happen is a deposit which will cover the first 1-3 months, followed by installments billed monthly for the rest.

I had a similar problem with Quinn a couple of years back. They told me to default and from the default date, I have 14 days to pay over the phone by credit/debit card. After that, the installments continue on as normal. If i didn't pay after 14 days, the policy would be cancelled.

This I felt was fair as they are basically giving me credit and insuring me for the year. I'd be surprised if they couldn't come to some sort of deal with you. 8 days seems a bit mean IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jack_Elle

matt70iu wrote: »
    Hi

I'm not sure what way would have your installments spread, but I've been with several companies Axa, Hibernian, Quinn... and what seems to happen is a deposit which will cover the first 1-3 months, followed by installments billed monthly for the rest.

I had a similar problem with Quinn a couple of years back. They told me to default and from the default date, I have 14 days to pay over the phone by credit/debit card. After that, the installments continue on as normal. If i didn't pay after 14 days, the policy would be cancelled.

This I felt was fair as they are basically giving me credit and insuring me for the year. I'd be surprised if they couldn't come to some sort of deal with you. 8 days seems a bit mean IMO!

I have to agree with matt70iu - The insurance company will feel that they are already doing you a favour by allowing you to pay by the month (as this is not a given with insurance companies) so Id take what they are offering to do with the default after 14 days and try to get the money together... They cant spread the payment across the rest of the year as you could get with mortgage or loans unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Thanks people, I got it sorted on my side, still not happy with the lack of desire to help from them.

I tell ya tho I'll be putting in extra effort to find another provider next time.

Advertisement