Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

independant student question

Options
  • 16-06-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

im planning on doing a plc course in september and will be applying for the grant, im a bit worried as im a mature student 25 (single mother) that was living at home up untill last december but on the website it says you must be independant from your parents since the 1st october

i have esb bills and bank statments since december from the house i own and live in, my parents gifted the house to me last nov (signed forms in front of solicitor)but the deeds only arrived 2 weeks ago

is this enough to prove i am independant from them? ther is no way i can afford travel costs/childcare if i dont get the full grant+special rate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

You need something official sent to u at that address early october. You should ask your VEC. Get whatever you can like a TV licence Bank Statement ESB Bill in your name. You're cutting it a bit fine asking them to accept something in November but try it anyway. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

You should get it but it may take time (also depends on your area, some seem more understanding/flexible), dont expect to get it until November/December at the earliest.

I dont know where you live and where you are studying but dont forget that the qualifying rules for mature student grants have changed this year. If you are living under 45km from your chosen place of study the grant is much less than it was.

I'd say apply early, if you havent already start getting the paperwork together. I applied early july in my 1st year (I was applicant #15) and I didnt see my grant until December. You might need to fight your corner explaining your change of circumstances, it might be worth going to your local TD's clinic to get support.

Good luck!

Advertisement