Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a new tenant

Options
  • 16-06-2011 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

When finding a new tenant for a room, how should the deposit be paid?

I thought that all money would go to the landlord. And then i get the deposit back from them.

But the landlord said to get them to give me the deposit. Is she trying to pull a fast one, who would want to hand over money without having some kind of proof?

How does it normally work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When finding a new tenant for a room, how should the deposit be paid?

I thought that all money would go to the landlord. And then i get the deposit back from them.

But the landlord said to get them to give me the deposit. Is she trying to pull a fast one, who would want to hand over money without having some kind of proof?

How does it normally work?
    In theory: the replacement gives the old tenant the deposit.

Long term: the replacement of the replacement of the replacement never gave her a deposit, so unless they get a replacement, they don't get the deposit. Also happens is that the LL refuses to give the tenant the deposit, as "they never gave the LL any deposit"...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I don't like the idea of a tenant giving another tenant the deposit. It can just make things messy when, a few tenants down the road, someone decides to move out and there's an issue with getting a new tenant.

Anywhere I've lived, whether house sharing or signing a lease, I've always paid the deposit to the landlord, and when moving out I've gotten the deposit back from them. It just makes things easier and more clean cut.

Advertisement