Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horses or football.

• 16-06-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

What do you prefer to have as your main punts for the week ? horses or football or a bit of each.

I was always a horses man since I started betting many years ago, Yankees doubles and patents were my favorites. I used to get up early on a saturday and get my racing post and a Kit- kat from the local shop. Study the form and pick out my selections. Won a few, lost a lot more.:p

I then started to do the odd football bet from the long list or the "easy Six" on the old style coupons in the betting shops. I found that I was winning a bit more often and losing not so much . Eventualy I moved away from horses to do just football bets. After all their is only 3 results with a fooball match, Home- away -or -draw. With Internet betting now their is much more choice of markets and plenty of good sources for stats on the web.

I was watching royal ascot and remembered how hard it is to pick a winner
    There are so many variables to alter the form book, The going goes firm or soft this alters how the horse runs, horses get knocked, jockeys get stuck behind other horses and cant get a run, or leave it late when held up. Tactics..........stables out of sorts , but the owners want a run........the list is endless. Then you find your luck goes out for weeks at a time and you just cant get a winner.

But you cannot beat a more enjoyable time when your selections come in, and your horses are running to form.........enjoy watching it this week :)

Going to back the horses for a while now and am keeping notes on the ones that catch my eye and tips from theses boards .Their is some good information on here which can be very useful. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

lamoss wrote: »
    I was watching royal ascot and remembered how hard it is to pick a winner
    Ascot is a bad example as in big meetings more horses have chances in each race.

In the lower grade meetings often only 10% of the field will have a realistic chance and you will find better value than in a football match.

By your rational Tennis is easier again as there are only two outcomes? But of course the less out comes the more the price reflects that.

The type of bet you were doing on the horses also has a lot to do with it. They are a licence for a bookmaker to print money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You should always stay away from Yankees, lucky 15 and Jesus don't ever ever ever do Union Jack.

Singles are the only way to have some chance of beating the bookie. I did a few doubles and trebles and they give the bookie major advantage so going to stick to singles.

I do well from football and golf. Horses seem to do well in placepots and quadpot but nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭lamoss

You are both right, I used to do these sort of bet regularly when I was younger ,I had no choice as I used to work most saturdays in The U.K. This was about 30 years ago now,.........No internet betting or I-pad apps around at the time :D You could only bet in the bookies and as I was working at the time I could not be in the bookies all afternoon.
    You learn by your mistakes. :)

I would now only bet singles on horses as these are the most flexable way to go depending on markets or prices.

The ratio betting on the other thread looks interesting......singles the way to go :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I only really bet on football or basketball mainly with a bit of MMA, GAA and racing. I find football the easiest because I know the most about it compared to the others. That doesn't say much though, tbh.:pac:

I'm atrocious at horses on my own. I've gotten better recently, but I'm still fairly bad at it and I'd only really follow tipsters(PyRo ftw :P) if I was going to back a few horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

I find it easier to pick winners in the big festivals because every horse tries. Nothing worse than when you are onto a good thing but the horse is only out for a canter. The horse will eventually win off a nice mark but you would probably need to take a couple of losses before that and it gets very tedious.

• Advertisement

Horses for me, Kempton and Lingfield AW tracks especially, HCs only too :)

Advertisement