Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Website:PSVita Forums

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 vikingroma

Looks good keep it up !

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭seanob43

Thanks mate!Having a problem with the UCP,anyone here good with phpbb?

Oh...nevermind.Site fully working again.

Hey Guys,
    The site has been completely re-designed and I would for some gamer boardsies to come check it out?

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭RedXIV

OK couple of quick things:

Purely on aesthetics you need to tighten it up. you've boxes that are obviously supposed to frame text that aren't doing that and the first 3 posts of your main news feed are all following different formats.

I'm not too keen on the new logo, it leaves too much open space along the top and pushes the page a bit too far down.

Also the bottom of your page is a mess, sorry but it is.

On your forums I'd remove the images beside the forums, it just looks tacky, on the other hand your wiki main menu is good but make sure the text within it is either aligned to the left or justified. Having it center aligned is horrible to read.

Also, look at your partners page, you can see the text overlapping itself, this shouldn't happen. Try to stick to a maximum of 3 fonts too, with a single font for 95% of the site.

Sorry to come across so critical and I hope you pull something out of it, great to see someone trying to learn!

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    OK couple of quick things:

Purely on aesthetics you need to tighten it up. you've boxes that are obviously supposed to frame text that aren't doing that and the first 3 posts of your main news feed are all following different formats.

I'm not too keen on the new logo, it leaves too much open space along the top and pushes the page a bit too far down.

Also the bottom of your page is a mess, sorry but it is.

On your forums I'd remove the images beside the forums, it just looks tacky, on the other hand your wiki main menu is good but make sure the text within it is either aligned to the left or justified. Having it center aligned is horrible to read.

Also, look at your partners page, you can see the text overlapping itself, this shouldn't happen. Try to stick to a maximum of 3 fonts too, with a single font for 95% of the site.

Sorry to come across so critical and I hope you pull something out of it, great to see someone trying to learn!

Okay first off thank you for taking the time to review my site,
    Do you mind expanding on some of it as I don't really understand most of what you are trying to say?
    I can't see the Partners page's text overlapping itself?
    I understand what you mean about the forums.
    Why is my footer a mess?

Thanks,
    Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

A thing I've noticed. You have your blog "protected by PcDrome Blog Protector". However, you rip your blog content, word for word, from other sites, without crediting?

This sort of carry on is not going to end well and, at best, will give you a very bad reputation.

Suggestion, if you are going to post up news on your "blog", do so in your own words rather than rip off the work of others.

RangeR wrote: »
    A thing I've noticed. You have your blog "protected by PcDrome Blog Protector". However, you rip your blog content, word for word, from other sites, without crediting?

This sort of carry on is not going to end well and, at best, will give you a very bad reputation.

Suggestion, if you are going to post up news on your "blog", do so in your own words rather than rip off the work of others.

It's an autoblog of the most recent PSVita news,my site is not a news site and I we don't pretend we are.I also try to change a few words around so that it's not completely copying the content.

But I believe you're right,I probably should leave a link tot he website in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

seanob43 wrote: »
    It's an autoblog of the most recent PSVita news,my site is not a news site and I we don't pretend we are.

But I believe you're right,I probably should leave a link tot he website in the post.

If you are just a news aggregator, then yes, you should credit with a source link. Anything else is theft and could get you into copyright and legal problems.

I also try to change a few words around so that it's not completely copying the content
    I mean this in the best possible way but are you sure? I've jumped into two stories and within second found the original source. The text was word for word.

Lastly, get rid of the "Blog Protector". It doesn't. It serves no purpose other than to piss off your viewers. If anyone wanted to copy "your" news items, they could just copy the html source. It's not clever or smart and will stop me visiting again. When I read a longish story on a web page, I like to highlight the line I'm reading as I find this easy to follow. I get distracted easily.

RangeR wrote: »
    If you are just a news aggregator, then yes, you should credit with a source link. Anything else is theft and could get you into copyright and legal problems.

I mean this in the best possible way but are you sure? I've jumped into two stories and within second found the original source. The text was word for word.

Lastly, get rid of the "Blog Protector". It doesn't. It serves no purpose other than to piss off your viewers. If anyone wanted to copy "your" news items, they could just copy the html source. It's not clever or smart and will stop me visiting again. When I read a longish story on a web page, I like to highlight the line I'm reading as I find this easy to follow. I get distracted easily.

Okay,one again thank you so much for your input,
    I try to change the words around as much as I can but sometimes it's just not possible.Do I need to change the words around and provide a source link or just one of the above.

About the blog protector,I didn't realize some users highlight text to help them to follow but now I know.Thanks for that,I'll remove the plugin right now.

Any more comments are welcome!

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

What aspect of it have you designed yourself?

cormee wrote: »
    What aspect of it have you designed yourself?

What do you mean by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

seanob43 wrote: »
    What do you mean by that?

What part of the site did you design yourself? You're saying it's been redesigned, and you are looking for a critique of it - this implies some sort of design work has been done on it - I'm trying to figure out what parts you designed yourself.

cormee wrote: »
    What part of the site did you design yourself? You're saying it's been redesigned, and you are looking for a critique of it - this implies some sort of design work has been done on it - I'm trying to figure out what parts you designed yourself.

Oh apologies,well before it was only just a forum.So i have recently added the news section,the wiki and videos.I also had to redesign the header of the forum.

Advertisement