Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet to neuter guinea pig in Cork?

• 16-06-2011 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

Has anyone had a guinea pig or other small animals neutered anywhere in Cork? I'm looking for a vet with experience doing it and who uses isofluorene anaesthetic preferably. There's one near me who neuters them but they'd use halothene or injectable anaesthetic so I've been advised against going there, and my own vet hasn't neutered guinea pigs.

Also, any idea of how much it would cost, for a male guinea pig?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Tito Ortiz

Has anyone had a guinea pig or other small animals neutered anywhere in Cork? I'm looking for a vet with experience doing it and who uses isofluorene anaesthetic preferably. There's one near me who neuters them but they'd use halothene or injectable anaesthetic so I've been advised against going there, and my own vet hasn't neutered guinea pigs.

Also, any idea of how much it would cost, for a male guinea pig?

First off Halothane and Isoflo are very similar and both are inhalational general anesthetic.

Any decent vet will be able to perform this procedure it's very straight- forward and easy to do !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Tito Ortiz wrote: »
    First off Halothane and Isoflo are very similar and both are inhalational general anesthetic.

Any decent vet will be able to perform this procedure it's very straight- forward and easy to do !!

I dunno, a vet nurse who knows a lot about guinea pigs just advised I shouldn't go somewhere where they use halothane or injectable. And my own vet says she wouldn't use halothane and that it isn't good for masking animals, and I don't think that the guinea pig will get intubated, so then it might be done under injectable and I don't like the idea of that . . .

I think it's because with halothane they take longer to wake up, and longer to go to sleep? and with GP's you want it to be over as quick as possible.

I'd trust my own vet to do it but since she hasn't done it before she doesn't feel comfortable doing it.

I've just been advised by lots of people to go to a vet who has quite a lot of experience neutering GP's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Tito Ortiz

I dunno, a vet nurse who knows a lot about guinea pigs just advised I shouldn't go somewhere where they use halothane or injectable. And my own vet says she wouldn't use halothane and that it isn't good for masking animals, and I don't think that the guinea pig will get intubated, so then it might be done under injectable and I don't like the idea of that . . .

I think it's because with halothane they take longer to wake up, and longer to go to sleep? and with GP's you want it to be over as quick as possible.

Halothane is not done by IP it is the gas used.IP is an injectable solution of saline vetelar and chanazine(commonly) and I would not use it on the GP as it takes too long to recover and is hard to judge it right,

Halothane/Isoflo are the gas and the best option,as the GP will recover very quick within a minute or so.They use a Isolow machine to pump the gas.It is difficult as GP's are so small but if a heat mat is used the GP will be fine.

The procedure is very easy and you should go and chat with a vet about it..Some will not want the hassle of doing it as its not a good idea to anaestise small rodents so they may not be confident in doing it..Are u sure it needs to be done??
    Hope this helps !!!

Thanks

I know Halothane is a gas, but doesn't it take much longer for them to wake up after it, compared to Isoflo? And so makes it more risky.

And it's not as good for masking animals, and a guinea pig would probably be masked.

I'm looking for a place that uses isofluorene anyway :) well most places do I guess.

I have to get it done anyway cos I have 4 female guinea pigs and just one male now, and he is really scared of other males and gets defensive and they attack him, and I'm moving so it will save space to keep them all together, and if I got another male I'd have to keep them in the same room as the females so they'd be able to smell them and I'm pretty certain they'd fight. So want to get him neutered to live with the girls :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I know it would be a long journey from Cork, but Bairbre O'Malley in Bray specializes in exotics so if you want to go somewhere with lots of experience with GP anaesthesia, I'd advise going there.
    Halothane was unavailable in Ireland for a while, so most vets changed to isoflurane, although I imagine most general practice places won't intubate- they'll probably use a facemask and possibly a combination of injectable sedatives.
    Good luck finding somewhere.

• Advertisement

Wisco wrote: »
    I know it would be a long journey from Cork, but Bairbre O'Malley in Bray specializes in exotics so if you want to go somewhere with lots of experience with GP anaesthesia, I'd advise going there.
    Halothane was unavailable in Ireland for a while, so most vets changed to isoflurane, although I imagine most general practice places won't intubate- they'll probably use a facemask and possibly a combination of injectable sedatives.
    Good luck finding somewhere.

Thanks :) I was thinking of Bairbre O'Malley, I'd love to go there but was thinking the drive might stress the guinea pig out. It's a possibility if I find nowhere else, but hopefully will find somewhere, I'm going to call a few places and ask them :)

Advertisement