Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diy rain water harvesting system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ie/hs.xsl/index_11725.htm

Submersible pump for rainwater tanks in Lidl from Monday the 20th (tomorrow). Dunno how good they are, or whether they would be of any use to pump water to a storage tank in the attic, but I'm sure its good enough for general gardening. Can't go wrong for €34.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

slowburner wrote: »
    Yes, I'd be keen too to hear how you stop stuff clogging the filter and causing an overflow from the gutter due to blockage.
    Oops :o just looked back at your pictures - you fitted the new downpipe at the end of the line so overflow is not going to be an issue.

Surely the only place for the downpipe is at the end of the gutter? Also, if the filter was to get blocked, why would it not overflow?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Yorky wrote: »
    Surely the only place for the downpipe is at the end of the gutter? Also, if the filter was to get blocked, why would it not overflow?
    Forgive me Yorky, I live in a hexagonal 'bungalow' - my gutters have no end. I would imagine that other houses' conditions would call for the placement of new downpipes in places other than the end of the run too.
    However, I'm equally keen to learn how to avoid the filter getting clogged and causing a blockage leading to an overspill.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi all.drilled 1 and half in hole gutter.used 1and half in plastic pipe connector on gutter.joined 1 and half in flexi pipe ,to connector with rubber connectors.you can take the filter out of the plastic tank to clean it. :Dponddigger:D

hi mcwotever.looked at the video,i buy one tomorrow,thanks for the imfo:Dponddigger:D

• Advertisement

ponddigger wrote: »
    hi all.drilled 1 and half in hole gutter.used 1and half in plastic pipe connector on gutter.joined 1 and half in flexi pipe ,to connector with rubber connectors.you can take the filter out of the plastic tank to clean it. :Dponddigger:D

Thanks ponddigger. Could you provide more details of the materials used - unsure of these terms. Thanks

Also, if you plan to fill the header tank in the attic with rainwater, this will then be used for showers,basins and teeth cleaning. I'm not fussy but is it safe for that?

hi yorky,i built this system for a couple who wants to water plants. wash cars. no attic:Dponddigger:D pm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I'm looking to get a 350L/ 400L/ or 500 Litre water butt (rectangular shape), I have seen them on the web and they are freely available in the UK & Europe, but does anybody know where I can get to see/buy them here in Ireland?

http://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/400_litre_water_tanks/400_litre_water_tank_-_upright__slash__baffled

http://www.irain.co.uk/acatalog/400_Litre_Rainwater_Tanks.html

http://www.irain.co.uk/acatalog/500_Litre_Rainwater_Tanks.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Keep the posts coming - I love these threads - Now if I only had the time to do all these things (of which rainwater harvesting is just the latest) - I need to take a month off work and send the rest of the House away on Holidays for a bit!!!

:DRaiser:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ive just bought a 600 litre plastic water tank,complete with large abs plastic pallet stand,steel container cage and quick release garden hose connection for 70 euro.:D

So have a guess what its going to be used for now?;)

I also bought this last month in Aldi,and its one hell of a pump.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Ive just bought a 600 litre plastic water tank,complete with large abs plastic pallet stand,steel container cage and quick release garden hose connection for 70 euro.:D

Could you post some photos please Paddy?

Yorky wrote: »
    Could you post some photos please Paddy?

Being delievered to my house tomorrow,so Ill throw up some pics then.:)

paddy147 wrote: »

I also bought this last month in Aldi,and its one hell of a pump.

Where did you pick up all that Kit so cheaply Paddy????

hi all, you can buy a 1000 lt ibc plastic water tank off done deal for 60e:Dponddigger:D

hi all ,you can get fittings for taps:Dponddigger:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

hi all, you can buy a 1000 lt ibc plastic water tank off done deal for 60e:Dponddigger:D

How do you know it was only ever used for water?

hi em.i dont know,just saw them on done deal,they can be used for water i suppose,sorry for wrong imfo:Dponddigger:D

hi p147, any photos of tank and fittings:Dponddigger:D

Just had it delievered this evening.

Perfect for where I want to put it and use it for.:)

When my girlfriend saw it this evening,she said she could and would use it on her allotment,so guess where I told her to go so???:D

hi p147,these are handy plastic tanks.the fittings are very handy for garden hose,thank for photo,:Dponddigger:D

• Advertisement

hi p147,these are handy plastic tanks.the fittings are very handy for garden hose,thank for photo,:Dponddigger:D

The seller delievered the tank this evening,and he also gave me the garden hose adaptor fitting too so that I can click my garden hose straight onto it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Where did you get it Paddy? Are you hoping to use gravity to build pressure for a hose connected at the bottom? Cheers

redser7 wrote: »
    Where did you get it Paddy? Are you hoping to use gravity to build pressure for a hose connected at the bottom? Cheers

Adverts.ie (see link to it from Boards.ie)

It will be used for feeding water to all the plants and trees in the front and back gardens.Gravity alone has enough pressure to allow the water to flow freely through garden soaker hoses for watering plants and trees.Ive allready tried it,and it works a treat.

I will use the pump if and when I want to power wash the cars or driveway down.:)

hi all, here is a website for parts for the plastic tank. www.multicurves.com . :Dponddigger :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Enspire Renewable Technologies Ltd

Hi all just a quick note on RHW tanks and systems. One point worth noting is not all tanks are considered potable tanks which mean the tank is not suitable for domestic uses outside of watering the garden. The IBC containers on done deal usually have a previous life use and can have silicate remaining on the interior of the tanks. Also make sure the tanks are UV protected, this avoids the promotion of bactericidal growth and reduces stagnation.

hi all, here is a website for parts for the plastic tank. www.multicurves.com . :Dponddigger :D

http://www.multicuves.com/

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

Thanks for all info in some great posts. Just wondering where those fittings might be available in Galway or surrounding area, esp connections and flexible pipe used by pondigger. I hope to use tanks(2) for standby for cattleshed in winter or as much as possible to reduce my water bill....I'm charged already (e120 p/a + e 1.10 p/m3 over
    227 m3 p/a).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Is there a local farm supply shop. I know the shop in Portumna has most of the fittings.
    Incidentally asnyone know where to get a 600 ltr ibc tank, have tried a few places and all they seem to have is the 1000ltr.

Lidl has the submersible Pumps at the moment...... €35

• Advertisement

hi all,digging a hole tomorrow for 2 1000l tanks.so the water dont freeze over winter,:Dponddigger:D

Advertisement