Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Construction Studies * Predictions, discussion and aftermath (1 thread please)

• 16-06-2011 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Havnt seen a thread about it..roughly 5 days to go..loads of time to get a lot of work done!

Anyone got tips/predictions etc post em here :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Yes, please! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭terryincork

Gumbi wrote: »
    Yes, please! :D

If Trevor is online at anytime please do pop in and post your predictions! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Well obviously enough 2 drawings possibly one on a roof or timber frame house
    U values
    Plumbing of some sort
    Planning permission Q

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Trev64

If Trevor is online at anytime please do pop in and post your predictions! :)

Hello all,
    Listen in to 2fm tonight (Friday 17th) 7pm - I'll be in studio talking exam technique, tips etc... if you miss it listen back to the podcast: feed://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_countdownto806.xml
    Best of luck,
    Trevor

• Registered Users Posts: 21 t9106

Well I would bet that U-Values are coming up because they come up every year apparently but anyone have any ideas about what stuff to look over or ignore?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shanecoleman

Mr Trevor Hickey is talking about building construction tonight (Friday 17th) on countdown to 806 on 2fm at 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Whiskey757

Trev64 wrote: »
    Hello all,
    Listen in to 2fm tonight (Friday 17th) 7pm - I'll be in studio talking exam technique, tips etc... if you miss it listen back to the podcast: feed://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_countdownto806.xml
    Best of luck,
    Trevor

Listening now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 t9106

I heard him say something about an airproof membrane. I've never heard of that. Is it something that should be included in the drawing questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 UL

Does anyone know where I could find some notes for the theory? My teacher was pretty useless and didn't give us much notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Here is a good place to start.

• Advertisement

t9106 wrote: »
    I heard him say something about an airproof membrane. I've never heard of that. Is it something that should be included in the drawing questions?

Download the handout on 'airtightness' from www.constructionstudies.ie

In concrete cavity walls the plaster is the airtightness barrier; in timber frame it's a plastic membrane under the plasterboard. Either way, show it as a blue line in your sketches/ drawings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

You may refer to it as DPM and it's drawn in red not blue! DPC is drawn in blue.

THFC wrote: »
    You may refer to it as DPM and it's drawn in red not blue! DPC is drawn in blue.

This comment is not accurate. The writer is confused. Look up the 'Acceptable Construction Details 2008'... damp proof membranes/ courses are always shown as red, airtightness membranes/ barriers are shown in blue.

You can download the ACD2008 on the department of the environment's website (www.environ.ie) or on www.constructionstudies.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Chances of a timber framed wall coming up as opposed to concrete? I'll probably learn both just in case.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Chances of a timber framed wall coming up as opposed to concrete? I'll probably learn both just in case.

As Q1? Doubt it, but you never know. I would certainly know TF for Q7.

Anyone want to throw up the tips for those who missed it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mihaf

good chance fothe the following .
    drg q1 , any thing to do with the wall and window frame ( MAYBE CONC CAVITY WALL WITH HEAD AND CILL DETAIL.
    other qns ,
    u -value
    WATER SYSTEM , PIPES , TOILET SEURAGE SYSTEM.
    air tightness
    health and safety on site
    sound
    light ( house oreantation , passive house , measuring light in a room or some thin.
    electricty , BER
    RESTORATION OF HOUSE

Q7 DRG OPTIONAL MAY BE FOUNDATIONS , PILE FOUNDATION

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dongl

I'm looking at

Revise drawings to cover Q1 and Q7

Passive design notes and past paper schemes to cover Q10

Locating of a house + enviromental impact to cover Q6

Pray that Wheelchair access, foundations or water system come up in the remaining 5. Electricity I might be able to bluff with HL physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Did trevor recommend doing 2006 q1 or 2005 q1 on 2fm the other night??

bumping this for more predictions! :)

• Advertisement

I think the Part B for U-value will be find the thickness or conductivity one.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

its a nice question nonetheless! :)

Dongl wrote: »
    I'm looking at

Revise drawings to cover Q1 and Q7

Passive design notes and past paper schemes to cover Q10

Locating of a house + enviromental impact to cover Q6

Pray that Wheelchair access, foundations or water system come up in the remaining 5. Electricity I might be able to bluff with HL physics.

im learning sound chapter also man. it may cme up and the legend himself trevor hickey said it would be worth taking a look at on countdown to 806.

What are people predicting for Q1??

what im learning is a foundation,floor, wall, window and roof on one drawing and a wheelchair accesible door with ramp (show slope in degrees) and then also another drawing including a fireplace. i think it will be fine and besides, the last 3 years of question nly asked for 4 dimensions. any person studying construction should be able to name atleast 6!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

im learning sound chapter also man. it may cme up and the legend himself trevor hickey said it would be worth taking a look at on countdown to 806.

SLLLUUURRRP!!! *

*Galwayman17...such a fecking lick..

haha i can say ALOT of things about you griffen! how you fixed for this exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

what im learning is a foundation,floor, wall, window and roof on one drawing and a wheelchair accesible door with ramp (show slope in degrees) and then also another drawing including a fireplace. i think it will be fine and besides, the last 3 years of question nly asked for 4 dimensions. any person studying construction should be able to name atleast 6!:D

Doing the exact same. Might glance at the chimney detail but door with ramp/threshold would be lovely.

Airtightness might be one to look at aswell for one of the other questions

DM360 wrote: »
    Doing the exact same. Might glance at the chimney detail but door with ramp/threshold would be lovely.

Airtightness might be one to look at aswell for one of the other questions

ya actually forgot about that but would the window slightly integrate with that question no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

anyone wanna PM me the E-xamit codes for sample answers? ;)
    maybe just for 2008 and 2007...

Advertisement