Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Construction Studies * Predictions, discussion and aftermath (1 thread please)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭terryincork

Mousey- wrote: »
    anyone wanna PM me the E-xamit codes for sample answers? ;)
    maybe just for 2008 and 2007...

examinations.ie

marking schemes..2008..2007..

profit???? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

I really need to study for this test tomorrow but Niland is playing in the tennis.

Someone, somewhere is f*cking me over on purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

aramush wrote: »
    I really need to study for this test tomorrow but Niland is playing in the tennis.

Someone, somewhere is f*cking me over on purpose.
    Record it and sacrifice one day. Either watch tennis the day after or do the exam the year after, which sounds more appealing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Irish Hitman

havent opened a book for construction since easter....boy am i ****ed! and economics tomorow!!

UGh..

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Record it and sacrifice one day. Either watch tennis the day after or do the exam the year after, which sounds more appealing :p

I made my choice, I stand by it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

What do we have to bring with us to the exam tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    What do we have to bring with us to the exam tomorrow?

Im assuming you dont do DCG, so..

T-square and drawing board(school will most likely supply them and you can use the table aswel instead of the drawing board)
    Set squares- 60/30 degree and a 45 degree(You bring them in yourself)
    2H pencil normally
    Colouring pencils (red-DPC, Blue-airtightness membranes/barriers etc)
    Scale Rule if you have/know how to use one..or just a calculater will do
    Just your usual pencil case belongings then, rubber etc..

Probably left out something..

Griffen262 wrote: »
    Colouring pencils (red-DPC, Blue-airtightness membranes/barriers etc)
    Scale Rule if you have/know how to use one..or just a calculater will do
    Just your usual pencil case belongings then, rubber etc..

Probably left out something..

Id better go get a new pack of condoms so..

:pac:

Id better go get a new pack of condoms so..

:pac:

Haha!...You can get quite frustrated with them construction drawings, in more ways than one :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 UL

I'm mostly sorted for construction tomorrow but the only question Im not prepared for is Question 1, the drawing. I'm wondering, is there specific measurements for most things in drawings such as foundations, roof structures etc.?

• Advertisement

I think they look for 4 specific dimensions then mark the rest on labels and scale.

Ok thanks, so if I got most of the drawing to look fairly ok, and got lets say 6 dimensions correct I should be on for full marks?

Yeah, and make sure the rest of it looks right. Label everything, give points of information, do everything so they have an opportunity to give you the marks.

Cool :) Thanks a million, I best go study. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭DanielGibbons

How likely is it that stairs will come up in the drawing question?

How likely is it that stairs will come up in the drawing question?

I didn't really think much about studying the stairs drawing, but when I looked back on the exam papers, it has come up in Q7 in 2010 and 2008, So maybe it might make an appearance in Q1?....Or maybe the question would be too easy as a Q1 drawing...and thus probably wont come up again in Q7 because it came up last year. Your call if you want to learn it, but have a short look over it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭DanielGibbons

Griffen262 wrote: »
    I didn't really think much about studying the stairs drawing, but when I looked back on the exam papers, it has come up in Q7 in 2010 and 2008, So maybe it might make an appearance in Q1?....Or maybe the question would be too easy as a Q1 drawing...and thus probably wont come up again in Q7 because it came up last year. Your call if you want to learn it, but have a short look over it anyway!

Cheers man!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Whiskey757

Alright, seriously unorganized and don't really know what's going on, but:

I'll do Q1, look over drawings of basically all the walls. That includes windows and ****

Q5 U value. Easy.

Q7 Another drawing question. What else can they ask other than the walls, roof, stairs?

Water question. Does this come up every year? My teacher said it didn't come up last year but there was uproar so can I be safe with studying that?

Then one other. What else is sure to come up?

So, is everything I said here correct and/or does it seem like a good plan?

EDIT: By the way, what are the 'dimensions' for Q1?

Whiskey757 wrote: »
    EDIT: By the way, what are the 'dimensions' for Q1?

I'd like to know the dimensions too, really stuck on that :/

Q7 Another drawing question. What else can they ask other than the walls, roof, stairs?
    Could be fireplace, door maybe? Window could be combined with roof too if that comes up, or a lean-to with a wall.
    You should know the original dimensions, then divide those by whatever scale you're using, i.e if the base of the foundation is 900, and the scale is 1:5, you measure 180.

• Advertisement

Could be fireplace, door maybe? Window could be combined with roof too if that comes up, or a lean-to with a wall.
    You should know the original dimensions, then divide those by whatever scale you're using, i.e if the base of the foundation is 900, and the scale is 1:5, you measure 180.

Oooooooh the dimensions is just the scale? That's grand.

EDIT: Right, I pretty much know all of Questions 1, 7, and 8, going back to 2006. I'm going to do a load of U value questions now, sleep, wake up early and cram some more. Be grand.

Oooooooh the dimensions is just the scale? That's grand.
    Well, the dimensions are the sizes. The scale is the size you draw. 1:5, you divide everything by 5. 1:10, you divide everything by 10.

Well, the dimensions are the sizes. The scale is the size you draw. 1:5, you divide everything by 5. 1:10, you divide everything by 10.

Yeah, I getcha, cheers :D

http://examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2009/LC029ALP000EV.pdf

Is the marking scheme wrong? I keep getting an R value of 6.022 and a U value of 0.166. I have done it out 3 times now and my figures are identical. Add it on your calculator and it's wrong. Why to they have two decimal points for the cavity resistance? Ugh...

Edit: Got it in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭szybki

so what are the best drawings I should look at ? but please don't tell al of them as i will not cover all of them within one night ! :(

http://examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2009/LC029ALP000EV.pdf

Is the marking scheme wrong? I keep getting an R value of 6.022 and a U value of 0.166. I have done it out 3 times now and my figures are identical. Add it on your calculator and it's wrong. Why to they have two decimal points for the cavity resistance? Ugh...

I got the same as the marking scheme. Cavity resistance is 0.170, two decimal points must have been typo.
    szybki wrote: »
    so what are the best drawings I should look at ? but please don't tell al of them as i will not cover all of them within one night ! :(

All except roof. Get up early tomorrow and study, the test isn't until 2

They won't dock you marks if your U Value is slightly different, for example if you used more or less decimal points than they did? It just seems petty to lose marks on if your calculations are right.

All except roof. Get up early tomorrow and study, the test isn't until 2

How sure are you to say roof isnt going to appear?

Question 1 predictions lads (and lassies)?

• Advertisement

They won't dock you marks if your U Value is slightly different, for example if you used more or less decimal points than they did? It just seems petty to lose marks on if your calculations are right.

I don't think the number of decimal places matters too much. Make it around three to be more accurate. Make sure you draw the chart thing as well because you pick up marks for each bit, whereas some people try to do the whole thing on the calculator.
    How sure are you to say roof isnt going to appear?

Well, just because it came up last year. That's my only reason, really.

Advertisement