Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Construction Studies * Predictions, discussion and aftermath (1 thread please)

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭szybki

Whiskey757 wrote: »
    All except roof. Get up early tomorrow and study, the test isn't until 2

Yep... but ''all '' does not help me. I'm trying to narrow number of drawings ....

What do you think bout :
    1 fireplace
    2 ground floor - timber + concrete
    3 timber frame house and suspended timber floors
    floor and door trashold
    ????

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Whiskey757

szybki wrote: »
    Yep... but all does not help me. I'm trying to narrow number of drawings ....

What do you think bout :
    1 fireplace
    2 ground floor - timber + concrete
    3 timber frame house and suspended timber floors
    floor and door trashold
    ????

2010 was roof
    2009 was suspended timber floor
    2008 was fireplace
    2007 was roof
    2006 was solid concrete floor with a wheelchair ramp thing

Trev on 2fm the other day predicted a return of the 2006 question because the building regulations changed this year or something, but he said to look at all the year between 2006 and 2010. So there they are. It's not that much. Although, if they don't ask one of them I'm ****ed.

WINDOW - window cill did not come up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fu** ... I can't do it :/ I actualy didn't draw it at all before .... so i dont know is there point trying to learn it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Whiskey757

szybki wrote: »
    WINDOW - window cill did not come up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fu** ... I can't do it :/ I actualy didn't draw it at all before .... so i dont know is there point trying to learn it :/

Window was on 2007, with the roof. It's not that hard really, just have a few gawks at it before the test.

will try to look at it before the exam.... now i will just read my notes on passive house ,situating house in rural area , health and safety, uvalues and sound .... I hope they come up ....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Good luck everyone, hope this goes well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Nice paper, imo. Finished about 30 mins early. Could've done another question, but didn't bother. Mediocre drawing, the rest was good. A lot of repetition between answers, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

It went alright for me, but in a way I wish there hadn't been a week between the last exam and this one because I found it hard to focus.

I messed up the b part of the U Value question, I was so set on an oil cost question coming up, was gutted. Still gave good attempts though.

My U Value was something like...1.52? I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

U value answer??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kieranb1

Trev64 wrote: »
    This comment is not accurate. The writer is confused. Look up the 'Acceptable Construction Details 2008'... damp proof membranes/ courses are always shown as red, airtightness membranes/ barriers are shown in blue.

You can download the ACD2008 on the department of the environment's website (www.environ.ie) or on www.constructionstudies.ie

DELIGHTED!!! it was only by chance that i had a red pencil and no blue :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

C__MC wrote: »
    U value answer??
    Cydoniac wrote: »

Cant remember the U-value, but thickness was 113mm?..anyone? Please..:P

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Stickjesus

Griffen262 wrote: »
    Cant remember the U-value, but thickness was 113mm?..anyone? Please..:P

The U value I got was 1.56 I think. The thickness was definitely 113 so don't worry.

It was a fairly handy test. I'm one of the few unlucky people doing exams till friday. Damned applied maths...

Cydoniac wrote: »
    It went alright for me, but in a way I wish there hadn't been a week between the last exam and this one because I found it hard to focus.

I messed up the b part of the U Value question, I was so set on an oil cost question coming up, was gutted. Still gave good attempts though.

1.536 if I remember correctly.

Stickjesus wrote: »
    The U value I got was 1.56 I think. The thickness was definitely 113 so don't worry.

It was a fairly handy test. I'm one of the few unlucky people doing exams till friday. Damned applied maths...

What?! I got 79mm for the thickness, which to me, sounds slightly more realistic than 113. How sure are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

Gumbi wrote: »
    What?! I got 79mm for the thickness, which to me, sounds slightly more realistic than 113. How sure are you?
    Stickjesus wrote: »

Most people in my class got 113, and the only two people that do honours maths got something completely different from eachother!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mihaf

any one , how is par b of u-value done.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Griffen262 wrote: »
    Most people in my class got 113, and the only two people that do honours maths got something completely different from eachother!

All the people that do honours maths including me, got 113 for the thickness aswell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

u value 1.56 i think i got and thickness i got was 113 which was what most the peope in my class got.

This makes me sad, considering how much time I could've used to check the answer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

When I opened the paper and read it, I couldn't believe how easy it was. everything I had studied came up, energy, sound, environment, and door. I started out with the U-value question, which was fine. The B part I think you had to do this: they gave you the K value and the U value, to find T you use R = T/k . . . but you need R, to get R you use the fact that U = 1/R put in the U value then you get R, once you have R put it back into R = T/k . That's how I got T, it turns out to be 137 when you multiply by 1000 to change it to m's and rounded off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

My thickness was 113.. as was everyone elses in my class who did hons maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

113mm i got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

how'd you get that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Matthew_drog

It wouldnt really matter if I said 0.113m instead of 113mm? I personally think it was a handy enough exam, lets wait and see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

kahf1_01 wrote: »
    how'd you get that?

Rt of part A was 0.64

Conductivity of polystyrene was 0.037.
    Resistivity of it was 1/0.037 = 27.03
    Let Thickness = Y
    Resistance of polystyrene = Y(27.03)

Add it to the existing resistance.

0.64 + Y(20.03) = new Rt

U = 1/Rt

0.27 = 1/[0.64+Y(27.03)]

0.27 x [0.64+Y(27.03)] = 1

0.1728 + Y7.2981 = 1

Y7.2891 = 0.8272

Y = 0.8272/7.2891

Y = 0.1134

Y = Thickness = 113mm

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Absolutely beautiful exam paper, never been more pleased.
    I did about 3 hours study the night before, mainly looking at constructionstudies.ie, and everything came up!

Happy with every questions. Got U-value=1.56 and thickness=113mm, as did all the other HL Maths lads. Passive housing was a great question

Advertisement