Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dry stone walls, best method of construction?

Options
  • 16-06-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

whats the best method to start of construction wise :confused: ...do i need a foundation or just build directly on the muck....its a small retaining wall at its highest point approx 600mm....to keep the weeds from growing tru the stone i was gonna use the weed control stuff at the back of....

should i use some cement instead of complete dry walling as ive got small kids?

there is no problem with the granite/ limestone as ive got plenty of it and time to build but not got much money for foundations etc....:( i roughly calculated the foundation to be around 2 cubes or so n was thinking i may do this with a mixer as it could be done on a sectional bases...:o

i will also be using another dry wall exercise in the garden....if i have any left over

any ideas???

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Traditional dry stone walls do not use a concrete foundation. Sometimes, dry stone wallers will set large stones into the ground to act as a footing, but not often. You will need to remove at least the top 4" or so of topsoil and sod depending on the conditions. Most dry stone wallers avoid digging wherever possible ;)
    If you plan to give the joints a cement backbone (not a dry stone wall, then) the whole wall acts as one unit and would need a solid foundation of some sort.
    A dry stone wall has a greater degree of flexibility to cope with the movements caused by changing soil conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi mk1esc here is a book that might be of some help to u a lot of pictures in it:Dponddigger:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

If its a retaining wall, then ensure you put holes in the wall at the lower ground level so water can easily escape. Trapped water could cause pressure to build up behind the wall. Regular 2 or 3 inch dia. holes should avoid this problem.

A dry wall can more so it doesn't need cement or a foundation but it is liable to need yearly repairs. A stone wall with cement needs a small conc foundation or a wider wall at the base, 12 to 18 inches below ground.

Advertisement