Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a job in Brown Thomas

Options
  • 16-06-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all,

Do you really need 3 years min retail experience to get a position? I have seen a few young ladies who are now working there who are just out of school and would certainly not have this requirement and yet they have no problem getting jobs there?! Others have said its impossible to get a position! If anyone has any advice/experience/knowledge to share id be so grateful!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

A friend of mine worked there for a summer many years ago , he freely admits he only got in because of knowing someone on the inside.
    Maybe things have changed , maybe they haven't.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Today most of it is down to who you know. Getting a job in retail can be hard if you don't have any experience unfortunately.

I've being trying to get a job in retail myself these past couple of months and most places advertise that experience is essential or if not desirable however at the end of the day a company is still going to pick someone with experience.

The sickening thing to this though is that in reality training someone to work in the likes of a clothing store or supermarket would only take a couple - few days.

Have to laugh though, saw a job advertised there a few weeks back on jobs.ie for a shop assistant in a men's clothing shop. The experience that was required was 5 years :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

If know someone on the inside or if you've worked for one of their concessions based in another store (Guess, Smashbox etc..) and if you are considered to be good-looking enough you'd stand a decent chance. (Thank the OH for the above info, she and a friend worked there previously)

I've never seen a job advertisment for BT anywhere online or in the papers or in the window for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

An ex of mine used to work there. She had no sales experience. She was, however, good looking... This seems to be the requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

good looking and patronising. two very necessary attributes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Iron Hide wrote: »
    I've never seen a job advertisment for BT anywhere online or in the papers or in the window for that matter.

Here ya go:

https://secure.teamrespond.com/microsite/brownthomas/vacancylist.aspx

I used to work in BTs. Hated it. Not because of the customers, but because a large portion of the employees were up their own asses.

OP, you could contact HR directly with your CV and see if there is anything going. There is usually jobs going in the stockroom.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I used to work for BT2, and I got the job by just wandering in one day and asking. (That was during the boom times though, early 2000's, so I know things aren't as easy at all nowadays). It was good craic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

i would say they know someone who already works there, a girl served me a while ago at the Mac counter looked no more than 18 and hadn't a clue spent ages trying to explain what i wanted ... it wasn't rocket science. Pissed me off as i have the qualifications and the experience and cant even get an interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 whippetmania

A trusted insider has informed that they favour those that are inclined to keep a neat and tidy box

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Larianne wrote: »
    There is usually jobs going in the stockroom.

I take it these arent advertised? Wouldnt mind doing something like that for awhile :)

• Advertisement

all there openings are listed on their website the link is up above ^^

lil_tuts wrote: »
    all there openings are listed on their website the link is up above ^^

Yeh I had a look already, no stockroom jobs listed at all.

I have seen them on there so maybe they just dont have any at the moment

lil_tuts wrote: »
    I have seen them on there so maybe they just dont have any at the moment

ah ok, thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Have to laugh though, saw a job advertised there a few weeks back on jobs.ie for a shop assistant in a men's clothing shop. The experience that was required was 5 years :rolleyes:.

I saw the same ad on the FAS website, it just seems so ridiculous.

Also, do all the sales assistant jobs in BT have sales targets to reach? Is it hard to do?

It's not just BTs though looking for years of experience. It's everywhere. There's so many unemployed they can pick and choose I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Had an interview recently for a position with a brand in BT. I have 3 years of retail experience along with receptionist and fashion experience. I made a long journey for the interview and I got on well with the interviewer, and I thought it went in my favour. However, despite being told I would hear back within 4 days of the interview, (either way if i got it or not) ..7 days on and Ive heard nada.
    I was told I would be notified either way. Confused, I tried HR to do a follow up and they dont answer their phones.

An acknowledgement would of been good, especially since I had to travel for it :confused: S'pose thats just life though? Dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Sometimes it's worth the wait; other things can get in the way and this weekend us a bank holiday: people are taking time off too!! Don't give up entirely!!!

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Had an interview recently for a position with a brand in BT. I have 3 years of retail experience along with receptionist and fashion experience. I made a long journey for the interview and I got on well with the interviewer, and I thought it went in my favour. However, despite being told I would hear back within 4 days of the interview, (either way if i got it or not) ..7 days on and Ive heard nada.
    I was told I would be notified either way. Confused, I tried HR to do a follow up and they dont answer their phones.

An acknowledgement would of been good, especially since I had to travel for it :confused: S'pose thats just life though? Dissapointed.

Were you interviewed by HR or by people representing the brand? Sometimes it takes longer if you're interviewed by outside companies.

Were you interviewed by HR or by people representing the brand? Sometimes it takes longer if you're interviewed by outside companies.

Brand.

Sure, if they rang me tomorrow, Id be delighted ... but I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

In regards to the OP, guess Im saying Its hard to know what they're looking for, ye know? Thats all Im saying :)

• Advertisement

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Brand.

This might be why it's taking longer. Sure see if you can call them or send them a follow up email regarding the interview next week.

This might be why it's taking longer. Sure see if you can call them or send them a follow up email regarding the interview next week.

Yeah. But, the job starts next Wednesday so..
    The likelyhood is that I didnt get it. Ive already been in contact with one of their managers and they never called back. So I think the ball is definately in their court. :) Ah sure, just keep applying I guess!

**likelihood

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Aaaw. Well.. Sometimes if you re candidate number two and the selected one is haggling or won't accept the terms they keep you hanging so they don't reject you in case they then have to come back and offer you he job !
    But if t he manager is that unprofessional and Rude is thiis the kind of professional behaviour and person you want to work for ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

It's not just BTs though looking for years of experience. It's everywhere. There's so many unemployed they can pick and choose I guess!

Yeah that's very true. I remember my interview for retail back in 2007, this was a formal interview which took place like this on the shop floor.

'Do you want the job?'

Me 'Yes'.

'When can you start?'

'Tomorrow.'

'Good.'

'See you then.'

Ain't like that anymore I tell you !

Advertisement