Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help quick please!!

Options
  • 16-06-2011 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how much a locksmith costs to change locks on a front door, its pvc? And also how much of a night call out charge?

Please help???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

last time that happened to me....120eu :(

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Try cunneen locksmith. Don't know of prices

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I called out cunneen on a Sunday well over a year ago now. 120 sounds about right from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Thanks for your replies. I have it sorted so no one can get in so i can wait until the morning. Ill ring cunneens then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Check these out.I wouldnt go with my first price.If memory serves me Cunneens are fairly dear for this sort of thing.

http://whttp://www.lockdoctor24hours.ie/

www.locksmiths.ie/images/large_map.jpg

http://www.goldenpages.ie/ms/ms/wilson_lock_safe+locks_locksmiths+cork+ms-90005578.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

' Cunneens are dear for that sort of thing'

These kind of comments annoy me, you get what you pay for especially when it comes to trades.
    I would recommend Cunneens Oliver Plunkett Street or Maclock, by South Infirmary. You will probably notice that they will quote around the same, then if you ring a. n. other you will find that a.n. is cheaper. Stop and ask why that is? It is not because Cunneens or Maclock are robbers, it is just that they are both proffessional companies.

PS If you are replacing the lock barrell on a Pvc door, for God sake make sure it has the UK 'Kite' mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Cunneens would want to get their act together, Couldn't even get my apartment key cut there yesterday and I knew by the guy's demeaner he was lying to my face.

charlemont wrote: »
    Cunneens would want to get their act together, Couldn't even get my apartment key cut there yesterday and I knew by the guy's demeaner he was lying to my face.

Which Cunneens was it? Oliver Plunkett Street or the one by North Gate Bridge?

Also you are accusing a guy of lying to your face. You may not realise this but a lot of lock manufacturers have a secure type key system, meaning that only certain locksmiths can copy their keys.
    So for example, if you live in an apartment block, then chances are the copying of the key to your door is restricted. Only your landlord has the necessary card or number to allow the key to be copied.
    How would you like it, if a previous tenant arrived in your door after opening it with a copied key at 3am?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BabeeB

I got mine done for 75 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

kub wrote: »
    Which Cunneens was it? Oliver Plunkett Street or the one by North Gate Bridge?

Also you are accusing a guy of lying to your face. You may not realise this but a lot of lock manufacturers have a secure type key system, meaning that only certain locksmiths can copy their keys.
    So for example, if you live in an apartment block, then chances are the copying of the key to your door is restricted. Only your landlord has the necessary card or number to allow the key to be copied.
    How would you like it, if a previous tenant arrived in your door after opening it with a copied key at 3am?

Do you think I'd be thick enough not to know about the security code on my key ? It is restricted and I have my landlords permission to get it replaced, He always sends his tenants to the same locksmith, It even has Cunneens on the key alongside the code and yea I know a paranoid and nervous person when I see one and I got given a quick cock and bull story off the bloke there.

• Advertisement

Do you think I'd be thick enough not to know about the security code on my key ? It is restricted and I have my landlords permission to get it replaced, He always sends his tenants to the same locksmith, It even has Cunneens on the key alongside the code and yea I know a paranoid and nervous person when I see one and I got given a quick cock and bull story off the bloke there.

And just to finish out my query, was it Cunneens in Oliver Plunkett Street or over by The North Gate Bridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

if you are in any way handy (or know someone who is) you could buy a lock in a diy store and do it yourself,

if not i'd recommend Cunneens, they are expensive but they know their stuff, it was around the €120 for us too when we were quoted for a new lock in an (unusual) wooden front door, so price may vary for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Also you are accusing a guy of lying to your face.

Calm down, I know you know your stuff, I know you can pick a lock with a skeleton in 15 seconds, but we charge €120 so we must make it look difficult.

And yes, I've been around with your dad many years ago.

gbee wrote: »
    Calm down, I know you know your stuff, I know you can pick a lock with a skeleton in 15 seconds, but we charge €120 so we must make it look difficult.

And yes, I've been around with your dad many years ago.

No I am not who you think I am but I have a feeling you may know me......the electronic side of it is my game.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

There is also a new Lock shop out in douglas that are giving very competitive prices they are Protech security the number is 0862609761 might be worth calling them for a quote!!!!;);)

As a matter of fact after contacting a few Locksmiths which I use from time to time, I learnt some valuable information as follows;

1. There are 3 different 'Cunneens' in Cork, all 3 are DIFFERENT to each other, no connection.

2. Locksmiths that are dearer, generally use high-security locks and they have registered keys, where only a WRITTEN letter of authorisation can get keys (legally binding agreement between the landlord and locksmith). As they don't know to whom they are talking to at their shop counter, so they have to have a 'paper trail', in case of a break in or even if there's a 'sudden disapperance' of tenants.

3. Locks are not the same security level, even if they look the same, the key and pins and security levels vary.

4. Locksmiths that work out of a van and don't pay tax are always going to be cheaper than those that pay rent/ rates/ carry huge stocks/pay insurance/ staff contributions etc. etc....same for all trades really.

5. On rental properties, anyone replacing the lock (or any other fixed object) may invalidate their rental agreement and lose their deposit.

6. It may be illegal to get a locksmith to break-in to a rental property without the Landlord being present.

Seemingly, not all locksmiths are same 'Level' and there are some, like Cunneens in Oliver Plunkett Street and Maclock, that are registered locksmiths with www.aloi.net (locksmiths association).
    And like RECI with electricians etc., all insurance companies will recommend using these type of locksmiths as they are Certified and have all their credentials in order.

I suppose, as in all forms of business, you'll pay the price for a job done to high standards, or get a quick-fix cheapie option.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭maciek87

' Cunneens are dear for that sort of thing'

These kind of comments annoy me, you get what you pay for especially when it comes to trades.
    I would recommend Cunneens Oliver Plunkett Street or Maclock, by South Infirmary. You will probably notice that they will quote around the same, then if you ring a. n. other you will find that a.n. is cheaper. Stop and ask why that is? It is not because Cunneens or Maclock are robbers, it is just that they are both proffessional companies.

PS If you are replacing the lock barrell on a Pvc door, for God sake make sure it has the UK 'Kite' mark.

Sorry, mods for reviving the subject here, but I`ve come across this topic when looking for locksmith in Cork.

Maclock is most definately not proffesional enough for me! I`ve just called them, and asked for someone to get down and take a look at the industrial unit we rent - change locks in front door, locks (or new keys) for windows, etc.

What I`ve been told? The job that ''COULD BE'' only 90 euro is too small to look at. Well lads, come on! Not even considering coming down and looking at it? For a business customer?
    What kind off customer service is that? Are we back to the good old days when it has to be 500/+ job for the lads to even look at you?

Not mentioning about the fact that I was expecting to pay 120-150 (as for callout fee as well)!

Rant over.

If someone`s in the area - can you please pm me a phone number to a decent locksmith that won`t tell me that ''the job is too small'' (oh, this prices of diesel driving from pope quay to little island :/)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

maciek87 wrote: »
    Sorry, mods for reviving the subject here, but I`ve come across this topic when looking for locksmith in Cork.

Maclock is most definately not proffesional enough for me! I`ve just called them, and asked for someone to get down and take a look at the industrial unit we rent - change locks in front door, locks (or new keys) for windows, etc.

What I`ve been told? The job that ''COULD BE'' only 90 euro is too small to look at. Well lads, come on! Not even considering coming down and looking at it? For a business customer?
    What kind off customer service is that? Are we back to the good old days when it has to be 500/+ job for the lads to even look at you?

Not mentioning about the fact that I was expecting to pay 120-150 (as for callout fee as well)!

Rant over.

If someone`s in the area - can you please pm me a phone number to a decent locksmith that won`t tell me that ''the job is too small'' (oh, this prices of diesel driving from pope quay to little island :/)

You don't need a locksmith for these in the same way you don't need a master mechanic to change a tyre. Give me a couple of hours and I'll PM you the number of a decent glazing repair guy.

Rant over.

Did you say all that to the chap you were speaking too in Maclock? Or was it a typical 'oh thats ok so, thanks', then you hung up and decided to come on here and slander what i regard as a professional company.

Ps. before you answer this, just consider the oil company court case which is cuirrently going on whereby boards.ie will have to provide that company with details of people who were on it and slandered them.
    By the way, the Cunneens which I recommended are on Oliver Plunkett St. not Popes Quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Ps. before you answer this, just consider the oil company court case which is cuirrently going on whereby boards.ie will have to provide that company with details of people who were on it and slandered them.
    By the way, the Cunneens which I recommended are on Oliver Plunkett St. not Popes Quay.

I think that maciek87 is quite right to do so IMHO, if a company has poor customer service or unwilling to provide the service they advertise this should be made known and they should be punished by loss of custom. There are way too many fat cats who had it handy taking "cash in hand" during the "tiger" years who think they only need to do the big jobs.

• Advertisement

Could you please confirm to me that you were actually speaking with Maclock?

Just that you have made a reference to Popes Quay above, There is another locksmith located on Popes Quay, but it is NOT Maclock, they are opposite The South Infirmary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

KUB,
    As an FYI you're coming across as quite biased, and I doubt many people are listening to you.

maglite wrote: »
    KUB,
    As an FYI you're coming across as quite biased, and I doubt many people are listening to you.

Thanks maglite, I just prefer posts which are accurate. I doubt people are listening as well, reading might be a better description, but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 the_ferreter

Just get a set of picks and open it yourself.....real easy to learn. Most euro profile cylinders can be picked fairly easily unless of course its A GeGe PExtra lol or a Cisa Rs3 Which you wouldnt come across very often unless you come to my house. But i charge less for locksmithing than most lockies mainly because its not my bread and butter but i do offer the service to people when required.:D

Just get a set of picks and open it yourself.....real easy to learn. Most euro profile cylinders can be picked fairly easily unless of course its A GeGe PExtra lol or a Cisa Rs3 Which you wouldnt come across very often unless you come to my house. But i charge less for locksmithing than most lockies mainly because its not my bread and butter but i do offer the service to people when required.:D

You might consider protecting yourself and potential customers against prosecution and check with the Private Security Authority wherther or not you require a license to offer these services.

Also if you accidentanly damage a customers goods are you insured?

You might consider protecting yourself and potential customers against prosecution and check with the Private Security Authority wherther or not you require a license to offer these services.

Also if you accidentanly damage a customers goods are you insured?

Locksmithing in Ireland isnt regulated by the PSA. Alarms, CCTV, Door Supervisors and Security Staff are regulated by the PSA. I actually would prefer the locksmith industry to be regulated because ive seen locks installed by so called locksmiths and they certainly dont meet proper standards ie: euro profile cylinders that are too big, some being at least 20-30mm protruding and no escutcheons fitted!!!

As for insurance yes im fully insured for ALL the services i offer. And on the line of locksmithing i tend to use non destruction techniquesand bypassing techniques to gain entry, this alone cuts down the chances of damaging the doors and mechanisms.

But as said its not my bread and butter and its a service i offer if needed. I dont advertise as just a locksmith i offer a whole range of services. For me its more my passion, me against a mechanism and working the mechanism out to defeat it. And have a passion for higher security locks....Medeco Bi-axial, Medeco Classic, keso 2000, kaba gemini, MTL, Dom, Cisa Astral have all been picked open by myself. Along with all your regular locks padlocks would only use destruction entry as a last resort, where as there less and less "locksmiths" that even own a set of picks....unless Dewalt 18v is a pick:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Locksmithing in Ireland isnt regulated by the PSA. Alarms, CCTV, Door Supervisors and Security Staff are regulated by the PSA. I actually would prefer the locksmith industry to be regulated because ive seen locks installed by so called locksmiths and they certainly dont meet proper standards ie: euro profile cylinders that are too big, some being at least 20-30mm protruding and no escutcheons fitted!!!

As for insurance yes im fully insured for ALL the services i offer. And on the line of locksmithing i tend to use non destruction techniquesand bypassing techniques to gain entry, this alone cuts down the chances of damaging the doors and mechanisms.

But as said its not my bread and butter and its a service i offer if needed. I dont advertise as just a locksmith i offer a whole range of services. For me its more my passion, me against a mechanism and working the mechanism out to defeat it. And have a passion for higher security locks....Medeco Bi-axial, Medeco Classic, keso 2000, kaba gemini, MTL, Dom, Cisa Astral have all been picked open by myself. Along with all your regular locks padlocks would only use destruction entry as a last resort, where as there less and less "locksmiths" that even own a set of picks....unless Dewalt 18v is a pick:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D

How much would you charge to drill and replace a euro cylinder including call out? And to pick it?

cantdecide wrote: »
    How much would you charge to drill and replace a euro cylinder including call out? And to pick it?

Depends how far to travel.......and if i was to pick it .....no drilling needed;) And the cost varies on the price of the new lock you want fitted. But it would be kitemarked so as to meet insurance purposes. But costs are kept down again because i only charge the price i pay for the lock ....which i get from abroad and a lot lot cheaper than over the counter here in Ireland.

But im a nice fella and believe in helping people in need. I dont charge call out fees for any work i do locksmithing or other and have many a times picked locks for people for free if i know them or there local.:D:D

Sometimes its nice to be nice:)

Advertisement