Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider Bite

• 17-06-2011 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭

Right, so, here I was, driving along with my friend. We drove past a young rabbit in the middle of the road (walls both sides of the road with a field on one side) looking a little confused, so we pulled over and managed to corner the rabbit reasonably quickly. I threw my cardigan over it and picked it up to lift it over the wall.

I felt a prick in my wrist, which got worse as I walked along- looked at it to see a tiny spider there- it wasnt budging and I didn't want to drop the rabbit so my friend flicked it off.

Sweet jebus the pain!!! We popped the rabbit down in the field and I tried to drive- the pain was horrible. Twas a throbbing stinging pain that got worse and worse. A small white bump appeared and a faint red rash began appearing across my wrist. Luckily my friends house was very near and we were able to get some vinegar and ice for it. The ice was great, numbed me up, but I've had to keep it on the bite for the guts of two hours before the pain went.

My friend actually had the same bite 3 weeks ago, which still has a mark left on her wrist at the mo.

The mark/rash is not at all proportionate to the pain- with the pain being much worse.

Has anyone got ANY idea what kind of spider this might be? Tiny, reddish brown in colour. I didn't get a good luck at it, but apparently it was definately a spider shaped thing, not a flea... Would it maybe have been something from the rabbit? Or was that just a coincidence?

Little b*stard :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

You sure it wasn't a tick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

no it definatley wasnt a tick, much smaller and more leggy...at least, not like any tick i've ever seen

Sounds very much like one to me.... characteristics and appearance. They go red/brown as they drink your blood. Spiders nip once in defence and go on guard. Ticks hold on and your friend flicking it would have broken the pincers off inside you and hence the sudden ARGH as the poison released.

Did it look like this? Amblyomma-cajennense-tick-photo01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Btw ticks and fleas look very different, and ticks are very easy to spot, fleas less so. You also said you didn't get a good look at it but if it's red, hurt, hung on to the skin and eight legged I'd wager a tenner it was a tick.

• Advertisement

:o Yep, okay, that must have been it...got her to google the pic and she thinks that might have been it alright. never even entered my head as I've only ever seen ticks full of blood- thanks for that Sunshine!. Such a simple explanation- here I was searching for wierd exotic spider bites!! :o

Does that mean I get a tenner :D

Haha yeah, definatley!! I left it under the potted plant outside yer door! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Oh good jesus WHY DID I READ THIS THREAD BEFORE I WENT TO BED

:eek::eek::eek:

Justask wrote: »

But the tick has such a friendly little face on him..... maybe you prefer this one?

• Advertisement

Justask wrote: »

Haha nighty night then ;)

I cant stop combing through my dog to make sure I didn't give her one of the little feckers!!! I left the cardigan behind, but im still paranoid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

if it bit you, you could get Lyme disease which is not good

http://ticktalkireland.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/dispelling-the-myths/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Haha nighty night then ;)

I cant stop combing through my dog to make sure I didn't give her one of the little feckers!!! I left the cardigan behind, but im still paranoid...

You have me checking my poor ole thing!

The face on her when I started looking through her, she was sound asleep :(

Now im all itch :eek:

Right im outta this thread :rolleyes:

Advertisement