Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work with animals

• 17-06-2011 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

I would absolutely love a full time job in a dog pound or animal shelter feeding, washing, walking, looking after dogs and cats and all sorts. Very passionate about animals and always have been. Currently working part time with a dog walking company but could use a full time job.
    Working with animals would be perfect. I've searched about this type of work and can't get past volunteering or stalking people in town trying to get them to buy key rings. Volunteering would not suit at the moment as I have very little money coming in.
    Does anyone work in a pound/shelter and could offer any advice?
    Are there such jobs available? In Dublin btw, I live on the northside but could travel.

Any advice would be much appreciated,
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

As far as I know, shelters usually recruit from their volunteers. You have to show dedication to get the rewards and all that.

Dont know about pounds though...not sure how they recruit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

I would presume that the local county councils would be responsible for hiring staff for the Pounds, may be worth a couple of phone calls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

You should also be aware that if you work somewhere like a pound you may have to assist with euthanasia :(, so I'd advise asking about this beforehand if it's something you'll have difficulty with. I imagine you might not face this as much at a shelter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I think you need to decide first what kind of job you actually want.

Pound and shelters are two very different things. If you get a job at a pound then you are going to see dogs pts. Yes there are pounds out there that are better than others but you will still need to be prepared.

If it's more the care and rehoming you're after then Dogs Trust would probably one of the only ones that have paid help, most other shelters are voluntary.

How about a job in a boarding kennels? That would fit the bill regarding grooming and walking and they are more likely to require paid help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭fabregas4cesc

Thanks yeah, I'm searching boarding kennels now. A lot don't seem to be in use any more.
    Searching all sorts now, Dog's Trust etc. Thanks for the help so far everyone

• Advertisement
Advertisement