Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My formal appraisal, am I overreacting?

Options
  • 17-06-2011 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

There's about 25 people in our department. One manager, one assistant manager, and then four team leaders with four or five people each.

Now every six months we do a formal appraisal where we have to write the usual about strengths, weaknesses, goals and so on. Same in any large company tbh, they are all more or less the same.

So the plebs like me at the bottom :) write ours, our team leader writes their version and the managers sign it off.

So I know my results and feedback and our team leaders and above know others feedback so if they want to move someone to slot into a new area. I don't want my teammates knowing what's on my appraisal, they're on the same level to me.

I saw a copy of email doing the rounds in the office from a loud mouthed team leader gossiping and discussing everyones goals and scores and points and chats about it over morning coffee.

My managers and team leaders know my appraisals but I don't want my teammates hearing it over morning coffee.

I'm raging, even if I get a stunning appraisal, I don't my appraisal all over the office. This loud mouth team leader is due to sit in for my appraisal next week.
    Would it be acceptable to refuse to sit in with her or even confront her about this, I find it unprofessional? Or maybe go above her to the assistant manager? I'd be slow to speak up and express my goals if I thought it'll be all over the office by lunchtime. Just so unprofessional

Or am I maybe over reacting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A team leader is gossiping and sending emails around about peoples performance?

You're not overreacting IMO - that's confidential & sensitive information that should not be discussed with other people who have no need to know about it. I'd be hesitant to even mention a someone's objectives with another member of the team, let alone how they're actually performing against them.

I'd be inclined to talk to her supervisor, on the basis that it's anonymous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Eoin wrote: »

You're not overreacting IMO - that's confidential & sensitive information that should not be discussed with other people who have no need to know about it. I'd be hesitant to even mention a someone's objectives with another member of the team, let alone how they're actually performing against them.

Spot on, this is shockingly unprofessional behavior. wouldn't bother confronting a person like this, straight to their line manager and I'd be saying that if it happens again you would make a formal complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Eoin wrote: »

+1
    An appraisal/ review is confidential and in no way should be discussed in the manner described, you have every right to be annoyed.
    This is not just unprofessional; it is ignorant and cretinous behaviour. You should voice your concerns to a manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

.....I'd look for an alternative Team Leader at your appraisal. Talk to your boss and tell him your concerns and expectations....that you don't want your work performance details all over the place.

You will need proof. Get and keep copies of all mails with the details that should not be public. try and get witnesses to the indiscrete conversations and also the opinions and reactions of other colleagues to the Team Leaders actions...there may be a recurring pattern but nobody has complained before.

A similar thing happened to me with a bullying supervisor years ago and I got it solved by refusing to take an extension to my temporary assignment to his area. When asked why the whole story came out. It seems he was bullying a lot of people but no one was prepared to report it and so management had nothing to act on. I caused an avalanche of complaints after my reporting and they could no longer ignore the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

OP your not overreacting. The main thing with reviews is that they are confidentail - Its amazing that tools like yer man ever get jobs in the first place !

• Advertisement
Advertisement