Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a female point of view/perspective?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Metrovelvet, generalisations have to be used of course in conversation, but I don't see any problem with taking wording/context into consideration on a discussion forum. For instance, there's a big difference between "In general, Irish people drink too much" and "Irish women are up their arses". One is blatantly hostile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

It is still a generalisation, because it assumes behind it that there is a perspective particular to women.

It's not a generalisation, it's a fact that each person has a perspective particular to them - and equally a fact that it's the perspectives of each person of the female persuasion that tLL is a platform for.
    Now I have no problems with generalisations, I always assume there are exceptions and some of the semantic games swarm around like annoying midges with the no generalisation rule. How else are we supposed to have a conversation?

There are plenty of fora on boards to support all manner of conversations. If posters choose to post their thread/perspective/experience in tLL - they do so because they want the thread they have posted/posted in to adhere to the rules and ethos of that forum. Had they wanted any other kind of discussion, they would have posted in one of the other forums.
    But I feel if you are going to moderate by a generalisation then it really is only fair that you tolerate them from others too.

All speciality forums are aimed at and for a particular demographic - I'm not following why you think because a forum has a particular slant, that it should be a free-for-all to argue that slant...that would appear to be missing the point of having speciality forums some-what...
    Ok, take the drkpower thread mentioned earlier. If I had said the same exact things he had said, could a moderator infract or warn me or whatever, on the grounds that it doesnt gel with a woman's point of view even though it would be a woman saying it?

Anyone interjecting in a thread where women are discussing an issue pertinent to them just to make an off-topic statement which adds nothing to the discussion bar rile those having it would receive a warning - there have been warnings, infractions and bans for both sexes in tLL for flaming, off-topic glibness, irrelevancy, etc, etc...clearly the type of warning depends on the poster and their record of posting in the forum in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

Wibbs,

Caught out...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wibbs,

Caught out...

How do you mean wibbs is caught out?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wibbs,

Caught out...

Or his opinion has changed, does happen posters from time to time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

K-9 wrote: »
    Or his opinion has changed, does happen posters from time to time.
    In just over a month?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    In just over a month?

On a well based argument mine can change in minutes/hours, if I feel the person making the point is correct?

In just over a month?

I don't see a link, what thread is it?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

K-9 wrote: »
    I don't see a link, what thread is it?
    When you quote someone there is a little arrow you can click beside the name of the person quoted which takes you to the place where the quote is from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Stheno wrote: »
    How do you mean wibbs is caught out?

Yeah, what do you mean he's caught out?

• Advertisement

When you quote someone there is a little arrow you can click beside the name of the person quoted which takes you to the place where the quote is from.

4 years and 19,000 posts never knew that!

On looking at the selective quoting it does look like he's in general agreement but it is a thread about feminism and a very good one at that, showing the diverse opinions involved. It's a different context and he does post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72145198&postcount=301

And relevant to this thread:
    As to men derailing or debating to win? Yes I agree, that should be modded out, just like trolls are. We need to be even handed too though and the defence of "male opinion that disagrees with mine = derailler" should also be marked down. It's the same as calling troll around here and there are good reasons why we have a rule against that. Otherwise best of luck with the circle jerk and watch how small not bigger that circle gets.

When we've had this and other debates before, it's interested me how many low level posters, male and female chimed in, then when something did change they were nowhere to be seen.

Wouldn't be far of my opinion and my Liverpool or United thread reference and how a poster has to nuanced and self aware in those:

boards.ie - View Single Post - Feminists
    Wibbs, the point I think is that tLL is not the place for "heavy debate". It's a place for women to discuss our shared experiences and learn and make friends through that.

Having a "heavy debate" about feminism might be interesting and worthwhile (although this thread suggests that it would swiftly just turn into male posters screaming that it no longer exists), but that's for humanities where such topics are meant to be debated.

A thread on sexual harrassment in tLL should be a thread for us women to discuss our experiences of sexual harrassment and find strength in solidarity, not be forced to defend that we actually had those experiences in the first place. How degrading and depressing it is that the one place the ladies of Boards were led to believe we could discuss things without aggressive male input we are now having to deal with exactly that.

I personally would welcome men if they wish to share and empathise and contribute positively - but not if they wish to dismiss and refute. There are other forums for that.

To put it in slightly sillier terms, if you were a huge Leinster fan Wibbs you might often enjoy entering into debates about whether Leinster are the best rugby team in Europe. You'd enjoy the arguments. But at the same time, if there was a subforum specifically dedicated to Leinster fans discussing their team, you'd get pretty pissed off if every second post was from a rival supporter telling you that you're wrong in beliefs.

If the women of Boards can't discuss the issues that affect us in the very forum that was created for that purpose without being accused of lying or misguided, where can we?

I'd say a feedback thread is needed to try and get some consensus from regular posters.

PS, I mean a tLL Feedback thread.

There's a few male posters that I think are never going to get the tLL and in many ways would miss it if it was gone, they just browse waiting for a feminazi post to pounce on.

The other side is a few posters aren't sure of what to post. I posted that in the other Feedback thread and the best way to gauge it is to just post, you'll find out soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

ok. I think thise thread has veered off course for long enough now.

Short answer to the OP:
    The Ladies Lounge is a place for discussion from a female perspective. Yes there is such a thing (I googled just to make sure :) ).

To the rest:
    step back, calm down. A few of these posts are getting a bit too personal and there seems to be several arguments going at once. Backs are up and I really dont want to get to the stage of having to discipline for abuse or insults.

I'm closing this thread as it really has run its course and can , from this point on if it hasnt already, just result in bad blood.

@those that do not agree with the ladies lounge forum, if you dont like it, dont post there. If you do post there, obey the rules of the forum. If you feel you do obey the rules but are unjustly punished, well, we have the Dispute resolution process for that.

@those that do agree with tLL, there will always be those that either just dont "get it" or feel that they are somehow entitled to post what they want, where they want or, just take umbrage at the word "no" or "not allowed". Please deal with these within the confines of the charter and methods provided (report etc)

@those that dont actually have anyhting to contribute to the discussion other than "clever" commentary - you know who you are - please dont in future. Its trolling, plain and simple and will be dealt with as such.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement