Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Our first tractor, advice needed please

• 17-06-2011 7:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi all, we have roughly five acres of a small holding and the same rented, the land isn't great mainly soft bog like land but there are areas which could be worked and turned into good pasture, we run pigs on the land at the moment and they turn over the soil and eventually we hope to re-seed it.

We are looking to buy our first tractor to help with ploughing, topping, taking turf home from the bog, basically general small farm work, we dont need (and cant afford) a big tractor and we are veering towards a Massey 135, this is our first tractor and we are looking to spend around 3-4 grand.

Can anyone give me advice, is the 135 the one for us? The money we are going to spend is a lot for us (for anyone I guess) so we want to spend wisely and not regret it. We want something that will be a good investment.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Bríd:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

A great machine, but carries a bit of "vintage tax" ie it's popular as a classic which pushes it's value up a bit beyond the alternatives.

For example a ford dexta, super dexta, 2000, 3000, 2600 or 3600 would be very similar machines to the 135, but probably worth half an equivilant 135.

Two examples....

A late 3600 with the ford Q cab, quite a nice place to be working for €3900

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2206967

another €400 will get you a 135 with similar work done to it, but not nearly as clean, well tyred, and with an awful cab.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2253886

Parts availability will be better for the 135, but not that much better imho, the small fords are pretty well catered for too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Have a 135 and I couldnt fault it.

We have had 2 Ford 3000s, years ago. And both were grand tractors - once they were started :( Starting was the problem... Although we had a 4600 as well, and that wasnt too bad to start in fairness.

Even on the coldest of mornings last winter, 135 started no problems, and its stored outside.

Did we have bad experience with both 3000, are they hard to start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

Have a 135 and I couldnt fault it.

We have had 2 Ford 3000s, years ago. And both were grand tractors - once they were started :( Starting was the problem... Although we had a 4600 as well, and that wasnt too bad to start in fairness.

Even on the coldest of mornings last winter, 135 started no problems, and its stored outside.

Did we have bad experience with both 3000, are they hard to start?

It's a long shot but by any chance is there a button on the side of the fuel pump. I't on the 7000's and it's the business, she'd start at -10 deg C when you use it.

If there is.... Push in the fuel cut off, open up the hand throttle about half way, push the fuel pump button, it will click in, start her and bring the throttle back to idle quickly.

had a wrecked 2600 that was slow to start a few years ago alright, but I think the engine was well tired. we have a 4600 now that was started for the first time in four or five years in november. it started instantly, first turn of the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

A 135 is a bit too small to be useful IMO. A 165 or Ford 4000/4600 would be a better bet and not much more expensive, if at all.

I don't know much about MFs, but the Ford 4000/4600 is on a different planet to a 3000/3600. You can do a decent days work with a Ford 4000, while a 3000 is little more than a glorified lawnmower.

I had a 3600 before, and detested every minute of it. It had crap brakes, no power, the lifts where sh1te, and it looked ugly and out of proportion with a Fritzmeier cab. It was sold after a year or less.

We still have 2x 4600s and a 4000 and they all earn their keep and are wonderful tractors that rarely break and are cheap to fix when they do. The 4000 tends to be harder to start partially I think because it seems to run very lean compared to the 4600s, and seems to be able to do a days work and burn virtually no diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 cartonj

If you can't farm 5 acres with a 135 or a 3000 somethings wrong. Both handy little machines, easy on fuel and get parts. The 3000 is alot faster on the road. Obviously there are better tractors but also alot more expensive. Typically I've got a decent 3000 that I'll be selling soon enough will be looking reasonable money.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

maidhc wrote: »
    A 135 is a bit too small to be useful IMO. A 165 or Ford 4000/4600 would be a better bet and not much more expensive, if at all.

I don't know much about MFs, but the Ford 4000/4600 is on a different planet to a 3000/3600. You can do a decent days work with a Ford 4000, while a 3000 is little more than a glorified lawnmower.

I had a 3600 before, and detested every minute of it. It had crap brakes, no power, the lifts where sh1te, and it looked ugly and out of proportion with a Fritzmeier cab. It was sold after a year or less.

We still have 2x 4600s and a 4000 and they all earn their keep and are wonderful tractors that rarely break and are cheap to fix when they do. The 4000 tends to be harder to start partially I think because it seems to run very lean compared to the 4600s, and seems to be able to do a days work and burn virtually no diesel.

i dont agree that a 135 is to to small,i was brought up on a 40 acre farm with nothing more than a grey diesel,now im not sugesting a grey in this case but a 135 it will do all thats needed on 5 acres.my gripe would be that mf135 are way over priced in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

the bolt wrote: »
    i dont agree that a 135 is to to small,i was brought up on a 40 acre farm with nothing more than a grey diesel,now im not sugesting a grey in this case but a 135 it will do all thats needed on 5 acres.my gripe would be that mf135 are way over priced in this country.

I would tend to agree here. I have had the 135 and they are a legend of a machine.
    We had a Ford 4000 and again a great little machine for less money.
    I always found the 135 a pit of a squeeze inside, the 4000 had more room.
    When I think of it we had an International, i think a 444, not the easiest started but an alright tractor too.
    I suppose though it's hard to overlook a 135, the icon that it is, even if they make way to much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

We've a 135 ourselves. It was the main tractor on our 40acre farm up until 15years ago.

A brilliant little tractor that will never let you down. Very economical tractor with excellent power for it's size.

Alot of lads have rightly said that they are relatively dear to buy..... but why is that I wonder? :rolleyes: Their reputation goes before them,that's why. It won't be sitting up every second day while you scour the country for parts.

Go but one OP, you won't regret it ;)

p.s. they will 'hold their money'. If you decide to sell it on in a few years time you'I get the same, if not more money for it. Can't be said of all tractors!

How about something like this:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2268012

Looks solid, lovely cab, very decent price and the second nicest exhaust note in the world after the JD 50 series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mf690

Would be a Massey man myself but have to say in this case a 135 without argument a great tractor they are way over priced . If you are looking to buy a tractor for work remember looks aren't everything a poor looking tractor can be in perfect mechanical condition . There are lots of options out there the likes of leyland 270 272 etc while they have a bad name can still do good days work and get you started for as little as €1,500.
    Also if you are unsure about tractors try and get a knowledgeable neighbor to go with you to look at tractors the green buyer can be cleaned out . Also a loader on a tractor can be a very useful help for bog work dung etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

International B275 would be just as good, we used one to operate a baler, like the 135 very little to go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ltec

Why not buy a 240 massey, surely they are bount to be better than the 135 and they dont seem to be making big money.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mf690

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2251962 just one ad from a quick scan on done deal. As I said before looks aren't everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Thanks all, another quick question what's the difference between a 35 and a 135, there's a 35 for sale locally for good enough money and in very good condition, no cab, but no point going for it if the 135 is a better machine, I think we are kinda veering towards the 135, I know they're making big bucks these days, but we're gonna shop around and take someone who knows about em with us.

not a huge amount of difference between the 35 and 135. the earlier 35s used a four cylinder engine which wouldnt be as nice as the later 3 cylinder perkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

JohnBoy wrote: »
    not a huge amount of difference between the 35 and 135. the earlier 35s used a four cylinder engine which wouldnt be as nice as the later 3 cylinder perkins.

Stay away from the 4 cylinder 35. They have a rep for being hard to start. There may be some exceptions, but the majority are!!

nihicib2 wrote: »
    Thanks all, another quick question what's the difference between a 34 and a 135, there's a 35 for sale locally for good enough money and in very good condition, no cab, but no point going for it if the 135 is a better machine, I think we are kinda veering towards the 135, I know they're making big bucks these days, but we're gonna shop around and take someone who knows about em with us.

If you don't mind me asking why on earth are you paying more for a smaller HP tractor? The value of 135s is driven largely by nostalgia, and not by common sense as 40/45 HP is far too low for most jobs. If you want a working tractor you should be trying to get the best "bang for your buck", and nothing less than 60hp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

If I had that sort of cash to spend I'd forget about 135's and the like and go for something a bit more modern like this.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2271609

Newer, decent cab, powerful enough and a bit of comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cartonj

If you don't mind me asking why on earth are you paying more for a smaller HP tractor? The value of 135s is driven largely by nostalgia, and not by common sense as 40/45 HP is far too low for most jobs. If you want a working tractor you should be trying to get the best "bang for your buck", and nothing less than 60hp.

Absolutely right, to carry your transport box, or pull your little single axle trailer or to maybe even lift a round bale the minimum you need is a brand new 4wd 120hp John Deere. This should then be chipped up to at least 160hp or maybe more depending on how close your neighbours are. Then add twin beacons, a polished stainless exhaust and a "nothing runs like a deere" sticker for another 20hp and you'll be right to go. To finance all this you will have to sell the 5 acres but you will be a hero to every young lad in the parish.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

cartonj wrote: »
    Absolutely right, to carry your transport box, or pull your little single axle trailer or to maybe even lift a round bale the minimum you need is a brand new 4wd 120hp John Deere. This should then be chipped up to at least 160hp or maybe more depending on how close your neighbours are. Then add twin beacons, a polished stainless exhaust and a "nothing runs like a deere" sticker for another 20hp and you'll be right to go. To finance all this you will have to sell the 5 acres but you will be a hero to every young lad in the parish.:rolleyes:

If that is what you inferred I was saying you are completely wrong. An MF 165, or 590 will be similar money to a 135 and is a more useful working tractor because it is more powerful.

I say this from a degree of experience, which includes owning working tractors ranging from a 3600 to TS115, and selling the 3600 as quickly as I could find a buyer. That size tractor are just too small for anything but the lightest work, they are even lacking with a moderate sized transport box.

IMO 90% of farms in Ireland could be run with a Ford 4600, but only 10% with a 3600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

If that is what you inferred I was saying you are completely wrong. An MF 165, or 590 will be similar money to a 135 and is a more useful working tractor because it is more powerful.

I say this from a degree of experience, which includes owning working tractors ranging from a 3600 to TS115, and selling the 3600 as quickly as I could find a buyer. That size tractor are just too small for anything but the lightest work, they are even lacking with a moderate sized transport box.

IMO 90% of farms in Ireland could be run with a Ford 4600, but only 10% with a 3600.

Hello Maidhc,

I think for a farmer that makes round bales, spreads a bit of fertiler (and so would be better getting it in half ton bags) would be better off with a bigger tractor. 135 or similiar is too small for a lot of jobs around a farm now, to be the only tractor.

So I do agree with your statement of "IMO 90% of farms in Ireland could be run with a Ford 4600, but only 10% with a 3600."

But the OP listed duties as "ploughing, topping, taking turf home from the bog, basically general small farm work"

I think a 135 could do these fine, and for 10 acres would be grand. While a 165 / 4600 will be more useful for bigger jobs, and would do the smaller jobs as well - its not needed IMO.
    The OP can always upgrade, and we all agree that a 135 will hold its value.

Then again - watching that farming show on 2 weeks ago, the crowd near Bandon doing the vegtable growing had some kinda 4wd compact tractor. Maybe that would be better - I dont have expereicne with compact or 4wd tractors am afraid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

cartonj wrote: »

Have they got an app yet to chip the tractors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ADDON

I swear by my MF165. Starts first time, every time. Now 40 years old and still a great machine. I ferry round bales all winter and bring home turf all summer. I also top, chain harrow, general hauling and dragging with a transport box and whilst it may not be the prettiest tractor in my parish, it's certainly the most economical as it's an absolute miser on diesel. So much so that I had been driving it for so long without needing to top up with the green stuff that, yes you guessed, I forgot it ran on fuel at all and then it ran dry on me :o

I would love to get my hands on a brand new one.... I don't think they make them like that any more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

We have a Ford 3600 here does all the spraying with a Hardi 12m 600l sprayer, sows the barley with a MF 30 drill, spreads all the fertiliser with a Vicon 402 (fully loaded may I add), does a lot of hauling with a 5t trailer. Puts in all of the silage bales too and they are not light!

Used to plough with it also.

Suits our system and despite our bigger Ford 4610 being more comfy I'd rather drive the 3600 - will stay here even if the 4610 is traded.

Just to put balance on the 3600 nay sayers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

I think buying a 35/135 or dexta type tractor will be a false economy. Although cheap to begin with they will end up costing more to run it the long term. You will always have to cross your fingers when you go to start it, then they have higher fuel consumption than a more modern machine - we have a 35 that uses more fuel than our 95hp 7740. Add to that sh!tty gearboxes and breakdowns that could be a constant pain in the arse if you are working with it regularly. Also MF's are known for having crap brakes. You will soon regret buying a museum piece .A Ford 4030 or 4610 would be a good buy, more modern and can handle a loader well. A loader is a very wise investment, so many uses and very labour saving. A TD60D is also a good simple machine but may be too expensive. In short, you would soon regret buying a museum piece. As they say a good quality tractor is only expensive on the day you buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

How about this Ford 4000 :

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2178403

I love this :
    cleanest in the country . not ur usual painted up ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Maxster

What would be a good tractor to draw home turf, about 20 hoppers during the summer (assuming we get one). Needs to be able to draw tipping trailer over fairly dry bog. I'm looking at spending €1.5-2k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Ill sell you the auld lads zetor 6911. 2 wd . all the glass in the cab, power steering. tipping tip te little light in the cab even works. and inside your budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

arctictree wrote: »
    I love this :

Says the lad that goes and sprays water hoses, leads and cables:rolleyes:

Not you now........ the lad with the advert

Advertisement