Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Classical Studies predictions / Discussion / Aftermath *

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CdeP

Oenone wrote: »
    You seem to be rather diplomatic, so I shall dub thee a Hellenist :pac:

Yes, I like my choices too, strangely enough ;) It is a pain in the derrière that the TSM English course is studied in less depth however. What aspects of Classics do you like, and what choices do you have down on the CAO, if you don't mind me asking?

That's a tough question to answer. :confused: There isn't much a don't like really. I think it's important to study Classics and the fact I also find it fascinating is but a lovely wee bonus.

I'm considering quite a few courses which would allow me to satiate my voracious lust for Classics and English. ;) Philosophy, Political Science, Economics and Sociology is another one I like the look of as is European Studies. Something involving French aswell perhaps although that would probably be relegated to the lower echelons of my choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

CdeP wrote: »
    That's a tough question to answer. :confused: There isn't much a don't like really. I think it's important to study Classics and the fact I also find it fascinating is but a lovely wee bonus.

I'm considering quite a few courses which would allow me to satiate my voracious lust for Classics and English. ;) Philosophy, Political Science, Economics and Sociology is another one I like the look of as is European Studies. Something involving French aswell perhaps although that would probably be relegated to the lower echelons of my choices.

Hmm well, for me, it would be more the philosophical and the theological aspects of Classical culture. Thucydides' dense droning is brain numbing - he is not a favourite ;) I especially like, okay this sounds odd, but the cults - you know, such as the Pythagoreans, the Orphics and Mithraism to name the ones better known. But then, I am obsessed with the various philosophers, playwrights, poets, HOMER of course <3 I am glad that you think it's important - it is so important, and yet it's all about "study biology, chemistry, physics" in schools/universities today.

PPES eh? The grandmother of all humanities it seems. I'm not very interested in politicking really. However, I too was going to put down something to do with French, but there is sort of a transition option - with the English/Greek course - to go to France in second year, I think. So I could be gobbling English books, declaiming in Ancient Greek, and be all existentialist at the same time, whilst sipping a cappuccino on the left side of the Seine <3 :cool:

Oenone wrote: »
    Hmm well, for me, it would be more the philosophical and the theological aspects of Classical culture. Thucydides' dense droning is brain numbing - he is not a favourite ;) I especially like, okay this sounds odd, but the cults - you know, such as the Pythagoreans, the Orphics and Mithraism to name the ones better known. But then, I am obsessed with the various philosophers, playwrights, poets, HOMER of course <3 I am glad that you think it's important - it is so important, and yet it's all about "study biology, chemistry, physics" in schools/universities today.

PPES eh? The grandmother of all humanities it seems. I'm not very interested in politicking really. However, I too was going to put down something to do with French, but there is sort of a transition option - with the English/Greek course - to go to France in second year, I think. So I could be gobbling English books, declaiming in Ancient Greek, and be all existentialist at the same time, whilst sipping a cappuccino on the left side of the Seine <3 :cool:

I think I misinterpreted your initial question. I thought you were asking what it was I liked about Classics as a whole as opposed to specific aspects which is why I found it so difficult to answer! :o Pretty much all of the above would be my answer. I would, however, add to your list the art and architecture of the time. Love an auld bust so I do. ;)

I can't say that I know a great deal about the "cults" which you mentioned. I am, however, intrigued. Any recommended reading? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

I think I misinterpreted your initial question. I thought you were asking what it was I liked about Classics as a whole as opposed to specific aspects which is why I found it so difficult to answer! :o Pretty much all of the above would be my answer. I would, however, add to your list the art and architecture of the time. Love an auld bust so I do. ;)

I can't say that I know a great deal about the "cults" which you mentioned. I am, however, intrigued. Any recommended reading? :)

Hahaha - yes, the auld busts are quite delicious :pac: Especially Alexander's.

As for the cults - well, "The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries" by Ulansey is quite good, as is the "Gardens of Adonis" by Marcel Detienne - that is quite deconstructionalist though, it is very interesting. The book, "The Greeks and Greek Love", contains some interesting information on cults - and erm, Greek love :cool:

How did everyone get on in Classics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 kt.alice

How did everyone get on in Classics?

B3. Not very happy with that at all, and seriously considering getting it rechecked. Almost managed the A in my mocks (84%) and honestly thought the real thing went much better :/

How'd you do?

Advertisement