Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ps3 hardwired using homeplug

• 17-06-2011 8:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

HI,
    I used to have my ps3 hardwired for streaming HD using a couple of homeplugs.
    I recently got a new mac and can't figure out what way I had them setup.
    I think I had 1 homeplug connected to the router and the other to the ps3 leaving the mac wireless.
    When I try this I can't get my ps3 media server to connect to the ps3.
    All i want to do is be able to ftp to it and to stream HD.
    I also tried connecting the homeplug to the mac and then the ps3 but obviously it won't have internet access.
    I am confused now as to what I need to do.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't think the PS3 can do both connections (wired and wireless) at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

pretty sure I had the plug to the router and then to the ps3 and could stream HD , (i setup the connection as wired on the ps3)
    But now I can't for some reason.
    I got a new mac (old one faulty)
    So i am trying to do something I have already done but it doesnt seem to want to work.
    Cheers for the reply.
    I will keep trying.
    Media server is working fine for wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

sham69 wrote: »
    pretty sure I had the plug to the router and then to the ps3 and could stream HD , (i setup the connection as wired on the ps3)
    So i am trying to do something I have already done but it doesnt seem to want to work.
    Cheers for the reply.
    I will keep trying.

Yeah, maybe I am talking out my ass.

Silly question: Is it because it is a Mac? or was your previous a Mac also?

Have you using thishandy programme?

ps3 tversity

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Cheers for the reply.
    I will keep trying.

Do you need to turn on sharing in system prefs? Setup sounds right other than that........

last machine was mac aswell.
    Really don't know, I can get it working via wireless but need wired to stream HD.
    I definitely had it working on old mac but can't remember if I had the homeplug in the router or the mac (then the other one in ps3)
    It seems in the ps3 media server log that it is trying to connect to the mac's ip on port 5001 rather than the ps3's one.
    I forced it to look for the ps3 ip and it is but giving a failed to bind error.
    I can ping the ps3 but CAN'T telnet to it on port 5001.
    I tried a couple more programs and the same thing.
    I don't think its the ps3 or the software, defo a network thing but not sure what.
    Will try again tomorrow.
    10 hours at it today...
    Cheers for all the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Sham69--I feel your pain.Ive been trying to get this going for weeks.I actually posted a similar thread a few weeks back.

Heres my problem.

If everything is wireless then media server streaming works but obviously I want to stream HD aswell and wireless just doesnt cut it for HD content.

If the ps3 is wirless and my pc and router are hardwired then it doesnt work.Its like the ps3 doesnt like the combination of wired and wireless for streaming.

Pulling my hair out.

the most annoying thing is knowing that I can do it and that i had it working on my old mac.
    Very frustrating.
    I think the only thing I may have done differently was the mac was closer to the modem so I had it hardwired aswell.

So I may have had Mac>Router (hardwired from router), Router>PS3 (hardwired using homeplug)

I think I may buy another homeplug and hope for the best.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

the most annoying thing is knowing that I can do it and that i had it working on my old mac.
    Very frustrating.
    I think the only thing I may have done differently was the mac was closer to the modem so I had it hardwired aswell.

So I may have had Mac>Router (hardwired from router), Router>PS3 (hardwired using homeplug)

I think I may buy another homeplug and hope for the best.

Mine works that way. I would have thought it would work with the mac being on wireless as well, though.

Must be a port thing.
    I can ping the IP but can't telnet on port 5001.
    I have 2 ps3's and the same is happening on the other.
    Fine on wireless but won't work even when hardwired to the router with NO homeplug (moved the room around).
    Its driving me mad.

got it sorted.
    Seemed I needed an ethernet cable from the mac to the rotuer aswell as from the router to the ps3.
    Seemingly you need to have a cable to the source of the stuff you're streaming.
    Really thought I had it working with just a cable from the router to the ps3?
    Ah well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement