Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re: Connecting Iphone4 to a TV

• 17-06-2011 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭

Perhaps this is a very simple question but can someone explain how i can do this(i am sure its possible somehow) and where i can get whatever connection is required.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

3 Ways to do This,

First way i think is the best!
    Apple TV
    http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv?mco=MTAyNTQzMzg
    €119 Use Airplay to play content over your network.
    2)
    Composite Cable
    http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MC748ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY
    3)
    Component Cable
    http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MC917ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOQ&mco=MjAyNDI1ODQ

Be aware you can get other cheaper versions of the cables on ebay etc. but the apple ones come with two wall chargers one Irish and one European.

it also depends on what connections your tv has.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Its just i have sky mobile on the iphone i.e sports etc and would like a bigger screen to watch it so i am sure that will work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I have an iPhone 3GS hooked into the rear screen in the car for the daughter ( 32 gigs of peppa pig and the wiggles etc to keep her occupied )using the component cable with the charging cable built in and it works great. I use it myself at times when im waiting in the car for long periods and use the rte and sky news feed. Ive had it hooked up to my tv at home too while testin it and it's perfectly clear.

However a point to note is that the iPhone 4 and iPad have a different cable (looks identical) but will only work with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

http://cgi.ebay.ie/CAPDASE-TV-OUT-COMPONENT-AV-CABLE-iPAD-iPHONE-iPOD-/200575626715?pt=UK_iPad_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item2eb33d2ddb

Will this do the job for the iPhone4?
    I just checked there and my tv has 5 connectors.
    It's 45 Euro in the Apple store for the cable,would I be better paying the extra E15 for a genuine product?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I have an iPhone 3GS hooked into the rear screen in the car for the daughter ( 32 gigs of peppa pig and the wiggles etc to keep her occupied )using the component cable with the charging cable built in and it works great. I use it myself at times when im waiting in the car for long periods and use the rte and sky news feed. Ive had it hooked up to my tv at home too while testin it and it's perfectly clear.

However a point to note is that the iPhone 4 and iPad have a different cable (looks identical) but will only work with them.

What kind of screen are you using in the car, the dual screen dvd player that I have in the car does allow inputs, however its through a 3.5mm av input cable, not the standard component cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I bought one of these ages ago manufacturer website here - thought it might be handy for keeping the kids amused on holidays. Haven't used it really to tell the truth but can confirm that it works with the latest iPhone4 firmware. I bought a much cheaper one on dealextreme before - didn't work at all! Beware of very cheap ones on eBay - they often don't work with newer apple devices/firmwares.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    What kind of screen are you using in the car, the dual screen dvd player that I have in the car does allow inputs, however its through a 3.5mm av input cable, not the standard component cables.

It's a screen that came as part of a dual screen Phillips setup. I too. Had to use a 3.5 mm adapter but I picked a female RCA to 3.5 lead for a euro on eBay and plugged this onto the end of the apple lead.

It's a handy setup as I was able to rip all my daughters DVDs and shrink them down nicely to play on the screen. I must have approx 15 full DVDs on it and the work great with the screensize. Plus it's a neater setup, I wired in a USB port for power beside the rear cig lighter which I can use to charge the iPhone

As for screens I do have a Phillips screen that takes the 3 RCA plugs and if my brother doesn't take it next week I'll be putting it up on adverts for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I just rigged up my iPhone4 to a Sony Bravia using composite. If I play a You Tube video it'll come through fine, however if I go to play Angry Birds only the sound comes through, any ideas ?

Also is there some way of getting the iPhone to mirror on the TV or is that only possible with HDMI?

Finally the Sky Sports app is the main reason I wanna connect the TV to it- I haven't bought it yet but was thinking of doing so tonight so I can watch Rory McIllroy in the US Open. Could someone tell me what the picture quality is like when streaming Sky Sports ?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

It's a screen that came as part of a dual screen Phillips setup. I too. Had to use a 3.5 mm adapter but I picked a female RCA to 3.5 lead for a euro on eBay and plugged this onto the end of the apple lead.

It's a handy setup as I was able to rip all my daughters DVDs and shrink them down nicely to play on the screen. I must have approx 15 full DVDs on it and the work great with the screensize. Plus it's a neater setup, I wired in a USB port for power beside the rear cig lighter which I can use to charge the iPhone

As for screens I do have a Phillips screen that takes the 3 RCA plugs and if my brother doesn't take it next week I'll be putting it up on adverts for sale.

Is this what you are using?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-x-RCA-Phono-3-5mm-4-Pole-Jack-Adaptor-S-Audio-Video-/260711218027?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3cb3997b6b#ht_1010wt_905

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »

Yeah that's it. Only mine is a short lead style. I had one of them and it's very hard to keep plugged in.

Ok,so i bought a Component cable from the Apple Online Store,plugged it into the Tv and I'm only getting Audio and no picture :mad:
    Anybody any ideas?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

i thought the iphone wouldnt play streams of sky sports on a tv by connecting it with any cable,dont you need to jailbreak and get TVout to do that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭tombren

barryd09 wrote: »
    i thought the iphone wouldnt play streams of sky sports on a tv by connecting it with any cable,dont you need to jailbreak and get TVout to do that??

This is correct!

Sky obviously copped that people would pay their 10 bucks per month and then hook their iphone to their tv rather than pay the full sky sports subscription. There is a block on the video output from the Sky Sports app when using the component cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

tombren wrote: »
    barryd09 wrote: »

This is correct!

Sky obviously copped that people would pay their 10 bucks per month and then hook their iphone to their tv rather than pay the full sky sports subscription. There is a block on the video output from the Sky Sports app when using the component cable.

Is it just sky or is it all streams??
    Its probably the only current reason i would need to jailbreak for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

hiscan wrote: »
    Ok,so i bought a Component cable from the Apple Online Store,plugged it into the Tv and I'm only getting Audio and no picture :mad:
    Anybody any ideas?:confused:
    Might sound like a silly question, but are you on the Component in channel on your TV? This won't be an EXT1 or EXT2 etc.
    Also, are you sure you're not mixing up the two reds? One is audio to be paired with the white, the other is a video red to go with the green and blue.

Yes,I'm on the Component channel and also the cable comes with these plugs pre seperated so you can't go wrong in that sense ;)
    I actually got a picture up this evening but it was a split screen :confused: as in the same video showing side by side on the telly and then when I went to change to a different video on the phone the screen went all scrambled and wouldn't play at all :confused:
    All the while i'm getting a message on the iPhone telling me "This video is being played on your tv"
    I'm really at a loss with this,my phone is not Jailbroken btw.

27115-favorite_bump.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Can't help you hiscan I'm afraid, but I've a volume issue with my composite cable set up if anyone has any tips.

I rent movies on my iphone and then use the cable to connect to the tv, but you have to crank the volume on the tv up to the max, and even at that it's quite low. Is there any way to bump up the volume at source? I've tried the obvious one like turning up the playback volume, but is there any other setting I'm overlooking?

It's a genuine apple cable too. (looking at the apple tv pricing I'm feckin sorry I bought it now :()

fat bloke wrote: »
    Can't help you hiscan I'm afraid, but I've a volume issue with my composite cable set up if anyone has any tips.

I rent movies on my iphone and then use the cable to connect to the tv, but you have to crank the volume on the tv up to the max, and even at that it's quite low. Is there any way to bump up the volume at source? I've tried the obvious one like turning up the playback volume, but is there any other setting I'm overlooking?

It's a genuine apple cable too. (looking at the apple tv pricing I'm feckin sorry I bought it now :()

Check that sound check and volume limit are turned off within settings>general> music.
    Not sure this will sort out problem as the cable outputs audio at line level.
    Maybe check within your tv's setting that that input doesn't have any sort of gain preset.

• Advertisement
Advertisement