Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking a flatmate to leave...

Options
  • 17-06-2011 10:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I share a flat with another person. We do not get on at all, she wrecks my head. Terrible atmosphere and tension at home all the time.
    I've been there a year and a half, she's there a year. My name is the only one on the contract. Do I have any right in asking her to maybe find somewhere else to live so I can relax after a days work?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Maybe have a conversation that begins with:

"Look, it aint healthy living like this. I think that one of us should probably move out...."

If she decides that she wants to stay then you can just transfer the lease to her name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Do I understand correctly that you have a written lease for the whole flat in your name and she has no written sublease? If so, how did that situation come about? Did you know her beforehand?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Keedowah wrote: »
    Maybe have a conversation that begins with:

"Look, it aint healthy living like this. I think that one of us should probably move out...."

If she decides that she wants to stay then you can just transfer the lease to her name.

That's exactly what I plan to do. Sit her down and have a chat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Do I understand correctly that you have a written lease for the whole flat in your name and she has no written sublease? If so, how did that situation come about? Did you know her beforehand?

I was the only one who signed it. I was livin with a mate, he moved out and she moved in. I kind of wanted it that way in case anything like this happens.

She is a good tenant, very clean and always pays rent on time. Just a serious clash of personalities.
    She is also in the process of trying to get money off the landlord for a locksmith call out she had no right to make. He has already said no, its not his problem, she had no authority and she is ready to fight.

On a side note she moved out of her last place because she fell out with her old flatmate and she's joined a union at work as she has issues with her managers at work.

Might be all a coincidence thou!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Without knowing the full details of your lease and how the rent is paid, but it would appear that she may be a lodger in your home. If this is the case, you could just ask her to leave. Lodgers have very few rights with live-in landlords.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Legal position aside, having a chat with her might be the easiest option. It sounds like she might feel the same way from the way you say "personality clash", or is she under the impression that everything's grand and just has no clue how annoying she is?

Advertisement