Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Winter 2011/2012 a complete disaster for cold /snow fans. Just look at the mean temperature on the Met Eireann Monthly Data,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Winter 2011/2012 a complete disaster for cold /snow fans. Just look at the mean temperature on the Met Eireann Monthly Data,

Still february;)

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Still february;)

There is also a great deal of uncertainty Models ect:(

There is also a great deal of uncertainty Models ect:(

Incidently Happy New Year. havent been on site since early December last

Incidently Happy New Year. havent been on site since early December last
    Thanks,and the same to yourself hope you had a nice christmas:)
    Many of the regulars like yourself seem to have not been on much at all lately, and the forum is so quite recently. Wolfire,maquilidora,su campu, beasterly,Deep easterly and loads more have gone or rarely post anymore forums just not the same:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

But it was extremely pleasant for those of us who hate snow. :D

Silver lining and all that, you had a good winter last year, I had a good one this year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

But it was extremely pleasant for those of us who hate snow. :D

Silver lining and all that, you had a good winter last year, I had a good one this year. :)

So far ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

baraca wrote: »
    So far ;)

True. But I'll still hope that it behaves itself, busy time of year for me to begin with so would rather my inconveniences minimised. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

wasn't sure where to post this..

http://www.positiveweathersolutions.co.uk/

click it and see what it says

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

only one wrote: »
    click it and see what it says

Thanks for the lesson on how to use the old internet :D

not a problem lol :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

only one wrote: »
    not a problem lol :cool:
    They wont. Be missed rubbish they where pity weatheraction and madden dont close too con men and money mad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

''Struggle: A woman walks her dog in the snow at Nenthead, Cumbria, as the winter weather swept in last night'':rolleyes: so its a struggle to walk your dog in < 3 inches of snow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

''Struggle: A woman walks her dog in the snow at Nenthead, Cumbria, as the winter weather swept in last night'':rolleyes: so its a struggle to walk your dog in < 3 inches of snow :rolleyes:

Gotta love the media's innate ability to exaggerate :P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Gotta love the media's innate ability to exaggerate :P:P

I'm no expert on the weather like some of ye have all the lingo and scientific weather wording etc but I was reading on a paper about moisture from the Atlantic will collide with some Siberian beast from the East and they will meet somewhere near the UK and it should be some whiteout with the temp plummeting......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You'd be interested in cold alone see http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056531339 skip to last page

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You'd be interested in cold alone see http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056531339 skip to last page

It's gone very quite on this discussion.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Northclare wrote: »

There has been 190 or so new posts today alone on the subject so i wouldn't say very quiet.

• Advertisement

baraca wrote: »

There has been 190 or so new posts today alone on the subject so i wouldn't say very quiet.

There must be something wrong with my log in so fair play to you for putting me right good man yourself......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

There must be something wrong with my log in so fair play to you for putting me right good man yourself......

You will find it all here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76805278

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76812159#post76812159

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Snowmaker wrote: »
    :D need 10 posts before I can 'thank' you... but thanks!!
    My uneducated prediction for Winter 2011/12 - the same as we have had recently. With the addition of 2 brief (less than 1-week each) cold incursions around end of January and mid-late Feb = sub-zero night time temps, close to freezing during the day, some snow but not sticking for long below 150m ASL. Just a guesstimate based on past winters and the strong zonal flow we have had since October. Strong Positive AO/NAO seems to have pushed the Arctic sea ice to expand more around Baffin/Hudson and Alaska - and kept temps above average all over Europe, there's a lot of ground to be made up in mainland Europe and even if the Siberian Army does march forth, it will have to freeze a lot of land before any sustained cold can stretch over the seas and grip our little island - assuming of course there will be a constant flow of E/NE with no incursions of milder weather. With the northerly/NE flow, it will have to be constant enough to lower SSTs so the mild doesn't quickly come back as soon as the wind stops :-) Just my two cents, which is probably worth half a cent in real-life. :D

Two variants on my winter update:
    The JaMad Update:
    Further to my original forecast on 05th January, I predicted snowfall would occur above sea level during the end of January, which was correct. I correctly predicted the cold spell to last less than a week, which was/is correct. I also predicted this before any other any other amateur weather-nut/poster mentioned or named a blizzard/snow day. I also mentioned that there would be temperatures below freezing within the timeframe end-Jan to mid-late Feb - this still stands! I predicted the now talked-about reload during the middle to end of Feb, this still stands! I firmly believe that winter is colder than summer, this still stands!

The PierCorb Update:
    Further to my prediction of a cold phase during the final week of January - this will be delayed until the beginning of February, or later, due to an unaccounted for factor in my forecast. I perform my analysis at night, and because of this it was impossible to predict or foresee the large bright shining disc in the sky (the hot one, not the cold one). I have consulted the interweb and found this phenomenon to be called 'the sun' - which provides 'hot light' to the planets it circumnavigates. I have now factored this 'sun' into my forecast for the remainder of the winter and there are some surprising and interesting permutations for the remainder of the winter - join my new pay-per-minute interweb page to find out more.

Sorry guys, I couldn't resist. Not intending to be offensive, just a mildly humerous take. If anything it failed miserably and I'll laugh at myself more readily than anyone else.

However, in light of my guessticast, I haven't been too far off the mark, all this lurking for the past 12+ months seems to have resulted in me absorbing some smartness!

My own two cents on the remainder of the winter:
    This week's cold will last beyond the predicted Friday retreat - until Monday at least. Mild or marginal (rollercoaster stuff) for two weeks after that, then a very brief blast towards the end of Feb, before a chilly but not cold start to March... by St Patrick's day temps will be up to +15C and it will be dry. I'll turn Guessticasting into a science yet me!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

SNOWMAKER Threads predicting 15c have a ring to them :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    SNOWMAKER Threads predicting 15c have a ring to them :-)

With all those 2 Cent and half Cent worth of forecasting he'll be up to 15C by March, no problem :D

Hahaha... excellent observation!! Almost as good as my winter prediction :D

I have a feeling this thread is going to be locked up soon... current discussion threads are more relevant at this stage. So a final image which I think sums up the winter pretty well...

You can see the symbolism everywhere... snow on the cards, ordered, got the tracking number, product dispatched, it's almost here!!, it's on the doorstep, just gotta get the box open!.....ah... :confused: .. what happened? it was packaged right, reliable delivery company, etc... just took the box to be dropped once during it's entire journey ..as the delivery guy was coming up the drive, trying to avoid a large puddle no doubt...

190852.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Snowmaker wrote: »
    I have a feeling this thread is going to be locked up soon...
    How can the winter 11/12 thread be locked? It's only the first day of the last month of winter? And speaking of winter 11/12 who would have thought that we'd looking at the same chart (more or less) for four calendar months in a row - Nov-Feb.
    cheerio, I'll be back for winter in around 2-3 weeks!
    Recm1201.gif

How can the winter 11/12 thread be locked? It's only the first day of the last month of winter? And speaking of winter 11/12 who would have thought that we'd looking at the same chart (more or less) for four calendar months in a row - Nov-Feb.
    cheerio, I'll be back for winter in around 2-3 weeks!
    Recm1201.gif

because the discussions have moved to other, more specific threads (such as up-coming cold, FI Charts, etc..) not much discussion left about the winter happening in this thread...

That's a disgusting chart by the way, I'd need a two-three week break after looking at that too! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

May I just add....BEST WINTER EVER!! :D Almost non noticeable because it was so mild. And as of today it's over, spring has arrived. Bring on the double digit temps and fast!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement