Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

DarkJager wrote: »
    May I just add....BEST WINTER EVER!! :D Almost non noticeable because it was so mild. And as of today it's over, spring has arrived. Bring on the double digit temps and fast!
    Well the Irish Meteorological season of Winter isn't over. Has the whole month of February to run :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Villain wrote: »
    May I just add....BEST WINTER EVER!! :D Almost non noticeable because it was so mild. And as of today it's over, spring has arrived. Bring on the double digit temps and fast!
    Well the Irish Meteorological season of Winter isn't over. Has the whole month of February to run :D

And even further. I reckon the cold was delayed this year and now it's showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Stop acting like a child! There will not be any snow here or in the UK ..It was two/three degrees in Dublin today and up to three in London as well. British Forecasters said there may be a sprinkling of snow near Kent but that was it. It will be getting mild everywhere then. Last year and 2010 when Dublin and parts of the East got buried by feet of the stuff during November and Christmas lots of places on the continent got very little. It hardly snowed in Paris at all - (I have family there) or the year before for that matter. We have had major dumps here on three successive winters lasting weeks on the ground..this cannot be said for many parts of the South and South west and south midlands whcih escaped most of the snow (except of higher ground) but that is the way it goes. It is generally the North, North West and East the bears the brunt of major snows and of story.

Enderman wrote: »
    Dear lord what did we do to deserve THIS?

12020500_0106.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Snowmaker wrote: »
    I have a feeling this thread is going to be locked up soon...

While we are in the Celtic/Pagan spring since this morning we are in Meteorological winter for another 4 weeks. Couple of days grace for those of us who pay heating bills to give it a retrospective thumbs up and it will then be time for the lock.

Might last a tad longer if there is a planeload of snow bunnies doing an excursion to the Artic in March so that they can report in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

These are mountainous regions like in Wicklow (snow up there ok) etc.. not low lying areas like Dublin, London, Manchester.. anyway there is still a month of winter to go (March 1 official MET office date and March 22 for equinox people)..:D:D:D

blackius wrote: »
    Regarding the nonsense being posted about there being no snow in England this weekend,I would suggest we read Liam Duttons blog

http://blogs.channel4.com/liam-dutton-on-weather/ding-ding-mild-air-cold-air/482

It's a good summary of where the models stand in relation to the snow there

"
    One of the weather computer models called the GFS (Global Forecast System) which is run by NOAA in the US is not keen on that much snow here in the UK.
    It predicts a band of snow moving in during Saturday night, with most places having a few centimetres. However, it quickly turns it back to rain with a thaw setting in on Sunday as milder air floods in from the west.
    Another weather computer model called the ECMWF (European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts) is keen to produce a lot more snow, predicting that most places could see 5-10cm, locally more by the end of Sunday.
    It is also in favour of the cold air hanging on for longer, hence why it is keen to predict more snow.
    So at this stage the weekend could potentially bring a spell of snow, but it is worth emphasising that it is still four days away and a lot can change between now and then.
    "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

this winter was soo boring , even father stone would be pi**ed off with it !!!:mad::(:mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Almost non noticeable because it was so mild - just like the summer thats just passed. At least when we get a cold season we get some semblance of having seasons:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Summer 2011 was the best. It was nice cool summer pity the Winter failed us.

Lets hope Summer is another cool one or dull and gray whichevers better.

Lucreto wrote: »
    Summer 2011 was the best. It was nice cool summer pity the Winter failed us.

Lets hope Summer is another cool one or dull and gray whichevers better.

Blasphemy!!!!
    Ban him! BAN HIM!!!!!!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

I don't know why people keep saying winter has gone and its now spring. It is the first of February and most of the snowfalls in my life time have been end January to early March and February being a common time for snow.

I'm not the most knowledgeable or technically minded regarding the weather but we all witnessed the best forecasters here get it wrong on times this winter. But I will say that the evidence speaks for itself. The below image was taken yesterday in South Wales and not in the North or the East of the UK. If it can deliver this only yesterday then it can certainly deliver again before spring ACTUALLY comes.

Oh yeah and that is up to my knees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Smugly I called this non event pages ago when I declared winter officially over!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

youngblood wrote: »
    Smugly I called this non event pages ago when I declared winter officially over!

De jure it isn't over and de facto it never arrived :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

Wild Bill wrote: »
    De jure it isn't over and de facto it never arrived :mad:

Do you mean it never arrived for you, in Wales we've had between -4 and -6 pretty much every night this last week. Not far from me places reached minus 10 and as you already know its snowing in the UK now and I have woken up this morning to a blanket of white.

Also just 5 days ago I took some good pictures of the snow, regular drifts of 3 feet was good fun. So winter did arrive and it hasn't been all bad.

maw368 wrote: »
    Do you mean it never arrived for you

Yes, you may assume my posts don't refer to Alaska....or even Wales. :cool:

So winter did arrive and it hasn't been all bad.

Over here it's nearly 9C and it looks like rain - that's all bad in my book :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,251 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Do you mean it never arrived for you, in Wales we've had between -4 and -6 pretty much every night this last week. Not far from me places reached minus 10 and as you already know its snowing in the UK now and I have woken up this morning to a blanket of white.

Also just 5 days ago I took some good pictures of the snow, regular drifts of 3 feet was good fun. So winter did arrive and it hasn't been all bad.

To be fair, anything high up is likely to get a dump of snow. I flew from Birmingham to Glasgow yesterday and there is plenty of snow on the hills in England & Scotland - I could see it from the plane. However, in most towns and cities, there ain't any snow (thus far). In Glasgow, we have had 2 snow events each lasting 1 day and a couple of cm all winter.

It is currently a torrential downpour outside now

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Stop acting like a child! There will not be any snow here or in the UK ..It was two/three degrees in Dublin today and up to three in London as well. British Forecasters said there may be a sprinkling of snow near Kent but that was it. It will be getting mild everywhere then. Last year and 2010 when Dublin and parts of the East got buried by feet of the stuff during November and Christmas lots of places on the continent got very little. It hardly snowed in Paris at all - (I have family there) or the year before for that matter. We have had major dumps here on three successive winters lasting weeks on the ground..this cannot be said for many parts of the South and South west and south midlands whcih escaped most of the snow (except of higher ground) but that is the way it goes. It is generally the North, North West and East the bears the brunt of major snows and of story.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/9061318/Hundreds-of-flights-cancelled-at-Heathrow-as-snow-and-freezing-fog-forecast-to-hit-Britain.html

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

Haha! Awkward..

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Stop acting like a child! There will not be any snow here or in the UK

We had a light covering here in Donegal yesterday :D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thats a bit unfair considering the majority of posters here are Irish as its an Irish based forum, now is a particularly bad time to bring up a point like this because most people here are just upset over the lack of anything remotely wintry all year, Ireland has had nothing but relentless Atlantic mild damp muck from one end of this Winter to the other. (this might change later next week). This is often the case because of our proximity to the winter heater that is the Atlantic, even tho Wales is only 100 miles from Dublin the climate between the 2 countries is often worlds apart not just in the winter but also in the summer where Wales and England can have a week long scorcher while Dublin is enjoying 15C and drizzle in the height of summer. What happens in Wales and England does not mean similiar conditions are happening anywhere in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    in the summer where Wales and England can have a week long scorcher while Dublin is enjoying 15C and drizzle in the height of summer.

Oi! Easy on the "summer"!

Dublin stats beat Wales stats hands down for the Summer months, in terms of rain, sunshine and warmth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

No, Ireland has had pretty much no snow whatsoever this winter, apart from a few timid snow showers in the NW before Xmas.

Wales' and Ireland's climates are worlds apart in some respects, especially when it comes to winter snow. Ireland is that bit further west and is simply owned by the Atlantic...our very own hot water bottle. As well as that, most of Wales is of a higher altitude than very flat Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

Feeling quite springlike, even balmy, in time for St. Valentine's Day! lol
    gens-0-4-192_ltk4.png

Conor30 wrote: »
    Feeling quite springlike, even balmy, in time for St. Valentine's Day! lol

What are you talking about ?
    8 is colder than it was most of the winter bar the last week. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Conor30 wrote: »
    the Atlantic...our very own hot water bottle.

I nominate this for the best quote of 2012! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

February 2012 has been remarkably similar to February 1956, which saw record cold over much of Europe. The two charts below are temperature anomalies for Feb 1-13th for both years, compared to the 1981-2010 means. Scarily similar!

More here (in Italian)

22598_1_1.gif22598_1_2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Su Campu wrote: »
    Scarily similar!

Lets hope the similarity ends there, because the summer of 1956 was very cold and miserable one. :o

Spells of exceptionally cold weather brought some of the lowest temperatures ever recorded in Ireland, together with heavy snowfalls in places.

It was the coldest month ever recorded at Dublin Airport, Casement Aerodrome and Mullingar.

-17.5°C, was recorded in Co. Mayo, on the morning of the 25th, while Casement Aerodrome’s minimum value of -15.7°C on the same day was the lowest value ever recorded in the Dublin area.

Ballyhaise’s mean monthly temperature of -1.4°C was the lowest ever measured in the country; the maximum daily value of -9.4°C at the same station on the 21st was the lowest daily maximum ever recorded in Ireland.

Almost all parts of the country received snowfall at times, with most persistent falls over Leinster. A month after the snow started there was 27cm of snow lying at Casement Aerodrome.
    Hard to even imagine now :(.....what month was it? (Hint - it wasn't back in the Little Ice Age!)

As far as I'm concerned, winter's as good as over and it can stay away! Stuff is starting to "spring" up in my garden now.. ;)

• Advertisement

As far as I'm concerned, winter's as good as over and it can stay away! Stuff is starting to "spring" up in my garden now.. ;)

The plants and birds have thought it was spring since early december:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement