Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Haha, was just thinking the exact same! A lingering front on the east coast with temps of only 1 degree celsius producing heavy persistent snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

:eek:They are a complete waste of money. I bought a set from Micksgarage.ie last november. They didnt last a forthnight. you have to take them off each time after you use them. the minute you hit clear road you have to take them off, they tear very easily. You can get snow chain spray from Amazon which is far easier to use and works very well.

My friends socks did tear because he couldnt get them off easily, so gave up on them.
    I like the idea of the snow chain spray though, never heard of it till now.
    I was thinking of getting the bottari socks because they are supposed to be easier to take off, but that spray would do me fine, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

we have gone from winter 11/12 to talking about socks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Good point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

only one wrote: »
    November: Variable, chilly at times

The last month of autumn...

Am I the only one who was always taught in school that November was the first month of Winter? We got:

Spring - February, March, April
    Summer - May, June, July
    Autumn - August, September, October
    Winter - November, December, January

Did the seasons get arbitrarily changed somewhere along the line???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Am I the only one who was always taught in school that November was the first month of Winter? We got:

Summer - May, June, July

Indeed that is what we are taught in Ireland.
    The Meteorological seasons are slightly different though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

My friends socks did tear because he couldnt get them off easily, so gave up on them.
    I was thinking of getting the bottari socks because they are supposed to be easier to take off, but that spray would do me fine, thanks!

I got myself a set of Bridgestone all weather tyres (A001) about a week ago and they are excellent in the recent wet! Supposed to be great in the ice aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Mine tore with first use in deep snow using according to instructions.

There is now stickied thread on Winter Tyres in the Motors forum for those interested in going down that route.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056355884

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

After yesterdays flooding I am hedging a bet on a potent cold snap occuring in 2-3 weeks time.

• Advertisement

After yesterdays flooding I am hedging a bet on a potent cold snap occuring in 2-3 weeks time.

Why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

5.8c out atm and just had a heavy/hail rain shower. could that be counted as out the first wintry precipitation of the winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    5.8c out atm and just had a heavy/hail rain shower. could that be counted as out the first wintry precipitation of the winter?

No.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Elmo5 wrote: »
    I got myself a set of Bridgestone all weather tyres (A001) about a week ago and they are excellent in the recent wet! Supposed to be great in the ice aswell.

To me all weather tyres are a marketing gimmick
    Basically with Ice, much like with a pair of runners, nothing grips to it.
    Winter tyres are a help, maybe difference between getting home and getting stuck.
    Still as you say 'all weather' are good in the wet and afterall that's what we get most of:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Winter tyres are a help, maybe difference between getting home and getting stuck.
    Still as you say 'all weather' are good in the wet and afterall that's what we get most of:)

Studded tyre's do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

redsunset wrote: »
    No.:D
    :(

I know it wasnt, still nice to pretend though.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Any winter updates as in cold or snow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Cant agree with you at all here. Winter tyres were incredible on my rwd 3 series last winter - not just being able to actually move and drive up hills, but turning, braking and generally not sliding around. The compound the tyres is made from is completely different - much softer and the tyres pattern is completely different to remove slush and snow as you move. You tube the video of the tests on an ice rink and you ll see even on ice they make a huge difference, not as good as studs and yes you cant go flying around - but they are a long way safer than summers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Honey-ec wrote: »

Summer - May, June, July

Must just be me because based on weather I have always thought of the seasons as:

Spring - March, April, May
    Summer - June, July, August
    Autumn - September, October, November
    Winter - December, January, February

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Must just be me because based on weather I have always thought of the seasons as:

Spring - March, April, May
    Summer - June, July, August
    Autumn - September, October, November
    Winter - December, January, February

All wrong, there's only two seasons in Ireland:

Winter - Sept to April
    Not as bad - May to Aug

:D

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Cant agree with you at all here. Winter tyres were incredible on my rwd 3 series last winter - not just being able to actually move and drive up hills, but turning, braking and generally not sliding around. The compound the tyres is made from is completely different - much softer and the tyres pattern is completely different to remove slush and snow as you move. You tube the video of the tests on an ice rink and you ll see even on ice they make a huge difference, not as good as studs and yes you cant go flying around - but they are a long way safer than summers

You misunderstood him. He meant 'All weather' tires are a marketing ploy, but 'Winter Tyres' are good. They are different things.
    PauloMN wrote: »
    All wrong, there's only two seasons in Ireland:

Winter - Sept to April
    Not as bad - May to Aug

:D

As like to call them - Winter and Little Winter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I prefer to call them:

Cold Grey Wet Season
    Muggy Grey Wet Season
    Monsoon Wet Season

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

You misunderstood him. He meant 'All weather' tires are a marketing ploy, but 'Winter Tyres' are good. They are different things.

My bad, thanks for pointing that out. Anyway back on topic, hopefully teh snow will be with us this side of xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

i know some of you dont believe in the nature signs and old wives tales but ...well i'll post this anyway, couldnt hurt!
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/8135035/Holly-berries-suggest-harsh-winter-on-the-way.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

bb1234567 wrote: »
    i know some of you dont believe in the nature signs and old wives tales but ...well i'll post this anyway, couldnt hurt!
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/8135035/Holly-berries-suggest-harsh-winter-on-the-way.html

Let's wait and see what the frog has to say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭oisingeogho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Recently it occurred to me that what we are really dealing with here is increasing levels of precipitation. When it is cold enough, it falls as snow, when it isn't, it falls as heavy rain. The last 3 summers, have been the wettest I can remember, the last 2 winters have been the coldest and the snowiest I can remember (with the obvious exception of the big snow of the 1980's), and here we have had the wettest October on record for the East or maybe Dublin anyway.

Is there not a pattern to this starting to emerge????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Recently it occurred to me that what we are really dealing with here is increasing levels of precipitation. When it is cold enough, it falls as snow, when it isn't, it falls as heavy rain. The last 3 summers, have been the wettest I can remember, the last 2 winters have been the coldest and the snowiest I can remember (with the obvious exception of the big snow of the 1980's), and here we have had the wettest October on record for the East or maybe Dublin anyway.

Is there not a pattern to this starting to emerge????

What county are you in Hellfire?
    I would have thought the last 2 summers (2010/11) would have been a lot dryer than the 3 wash outs of (2007/08/09).
    Oh for a summer like 2006 in 2012 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Why ?

Because it has happened before! Last years flooding was preceded by snow is one example. The previous year we had also flooding and within two - three weeks we had a potent cold snap with snow. it will probably occur during the second half of November.

• Advertisement

Because it has happened before! Last years flooding was preceded by snow is one example. The previous year we had also flooding and within two - three weeks we had a potent cold snap with snow. it will probably occur during the second half of November.

Fair enough lets see how it pans out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement