Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

He predicted heavy snowfall in October* - it was the mildest I've ever seen.
    November will also be exceptionally mild as that high over Europe remains stationary for the next two weeks it seems.
    * He's (Madden) now trying to say he correctly predicted snow in Oct by posting a picture, on some website, of snow in Scotland (and some slush in N.I.) taken at about 1000m asl which is not unusual at that altitude even in Oct.

I will not discuss exactaweather again after this post, if it wasn't for the tabloids no one would ever have heard of this lot.

Snow in october is indeed unusual for the Gleshane pass ( Photograph ) as it is only 300 metres above sea level and not 1000m. Try to be accurate when complaining about others. Looks foolish !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

justy182 wrote: »
    Snow in october is indeed unusual for the Gleshane pass ( Photograph ) as it is only 300 metres above sea level and not 1000m. Try to be accurate when complaining about others. Looks foolish !
    Try to be accurate, I said the Scotland photo was 1000m asl.
    We had a very short cold snap during October which was up to 3c above normal and November is going the same way. 13.8c at the moment and higher by the weekend by looking at the charts. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

He predicted heavy snowfall in October* - it was the mildest I've ever seen.
    November will also be exceptionally mild as that high over Europe remains stationary for the next two weeks it seems.
    * He's (Madden) now trying to say he correctly predicted snow in Oct by posting a picture, on some website, of snow in Scotland (and some slush in N.I.) taken at about 1000m asl which is not unusual at that altitude even in Oct.

I will not discuss exactaweather again after this post, if it wasn't for the tabloids no one would ever have heard of this lot.

Also the snow in Derry was indeed unusual

We had a very short cold snap during October which was up to 3c above normal and November is going the same way. 13.8c at the moment and higher by the weekend by looking at the charts. End of.

This time last year was much colder and we knew the cold was creeping in. it's quite stable the last few days at an average of 11degrees after the weekend that dropped to -2.3 but look what happened in the US. Lots of theories out there but I can see it turning around by the last two weeks in November. will it snow then? No idea. Will it b cold? I think it will. Place your.bets now please...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 m.kelly

• Advertisement

I really dont see how he has been out of line this winter so far. If you read the forecast he issued he said that snow will fall in CERTAIN parts in October and towards the end of November a cooling trend. Were you expecting to be snowed in where you are or something? Where did he say that. What he said was accurate as for november we have to wait and see!
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“As we head towards winter, I expect to see the first signs of some moderate to heavy snowfalls as early as October or November in certain parts of the UK. In terms of the meteorological winter, I expect December, January, and February to experience below average temperatures, with the heaviest snowfalls occurring within the time frame of November to January across many parts of the UK.”[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

m.kelly wrote: »

Yaaaaaaaaaawnn.... doesnt mean no snow. :)

Either way folks....... IM goin to Kiruna In January!!.... oh ... wait... did i already mention that?........ Sorry ..... :p:pac::P

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

"Up to €16m has also been spent buying up to 200,000 tonnes of salt, double the supply of last year, while Irish airports have invested €7m. "

Oh I'd say the Daily Mail hacks are already writing the "Tens of millions wasted on mountains of useless salt" articles for March 2012

Its official then,
    No snow this winter. Well if Met Eireann say so it must be true. I dont know how they come up with this stuff. There really isnt any indication either way this far out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Iancar29 wrote: »
    From the Germans http://www.wetterpro...-2011-2012.html
    Translated with Google translator :)

In recent days we have again increased e-mails received with questions such as: When is the snow? Can you even make a snow forecast?. Almost seems as though many now in a frenzy of winter and the snow against what our survey shows for the winter 2011/2012. Most likely it is to the present time that the weather situation around the 17th/18th. November is going to change around. Both weather models expect a large accumulation of cold air north of the Arctic Circle - Experience shows that it is only a matter of time until it finds its way to the south. Whether Germany will then be affected, to the present state can not be said, but there are already trends and probabilities. The U.S. weather model anticipates a moderate form of the temperature drop on november typical values ​​between 2 and 5 degrees from 20 Of November. The European weather model calculated from 19 November with a more typical winter constellation (high between Greenland and Scandinavia, gravure east Scandinavia), which enables the transport of cold air southward. If the scenario of the European weather model to arrive, with the first onset of winter around the 19th Expected around November. The view of the control runs indicates that a significantly cooler phase is significantly more likely than a continuation of the mild phase. The odds are still not bad for the first snow in the last Novembderdrittel.

i couldnt help but read that article in a german accent:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

doesnt mean no snow. :)

Firstly, Met Eireann do not do long range forecasts anymore so the story must be taken with a dose of salt (actually as much salt as they need according to the story). Furthermore, Gerald's comments must be taken in context and there is indeed no concrete evidence of severe winter on the way, just the many opinions, valid or otherwise, of the long range forecasters who have issued their outlooks.

Tabloid subeditors already planning tomorrow's headlines:

"Met Eireann pour cold water on Winter Ready Campaign"

"Fleming Shatters New Government Snow Readiness Campaign"

"Met Eireann Says No Snow This Winter"

"Met Eireann Predict Repeat Of 1947"

"Sled.ie Call On Gerald Fleming To Resign Over Wreckless Comments"

"Gerald Fleming And Jean Byrne Big It Up In Lillies, As Gerry Byrne Downs 18 Pints Of Goldschläger"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Firstly, Met Eireann do not do long range forecasts anymore so the story must be taken with a dose of salt (actually as much salt as they need according to the story). Furthermore, Gerald's comments must be taken in context and there is indeed no concrete evidence of severe winter on the way, just the many opinions, valid or otherwise, of the long range forecasters who have issued their outlooks.

Tabloid subeditors already planning tomorrow's headlines:

"Met Eireann pour cold water on Winter Ready Campaign"

"Fleming Shatters New Government Snow Readiness Campaign"

"Met Eireann Says No Snow This Winter"

"Met Eireann Predict Repeat Of 1947"

"Sled.ie Call On Gerald Fleming To Resign Over Wreckless Comments"

"Gerald Fleming And Jean Byrne Big It Up In Lillies, As Gerry Byrne Downs 18 Pints Of Goldschläger"

HAHHAHAHa! :)... Ah sure i might just ask him at the Met Soc . conference 2moro ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

warning from around 27th of nov all the way into jan 2012 ireland is about to get hit by a big freeze dublin city council where advised this morning from the norway met service they said a big dip is the A O index is on the way which will lead to a long spell of cold air over all of west europe
    my friend worksthere they got told today
    he grits the roads etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

This is gonna turn into transfer deadline day !

"My mate saw the snow on a flight to Dublin Airport"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    The weather section (pdf!!!) provides links to Met Eireann website. Thank God for winterready.ie, it might just save our lives.

Alan Shatter on RTE Radio now talking about it.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1109/weather.html

"There is three years' supply of salt to clear roads this winter, the Government has said."

Who Shat out that website :eek:and Who (we did ) paid for it , good god. Smart enconomy me hole.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

DominoDub wrote: »
    Who Shat out that website :eek:and Who (we did ) paid for it , good god. Smart enconomy me hole.

That site has a pet hate of mine.... a whole bunch of links to PDFs. :mad: I feckin' HATE that!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

From the Germans http://www.wetterpro...-2011-2012.html
    Translated with Google translator :)

In recent days we have again increased e-mails received with questions such as: When is the snow? Can you even make a snow forecast?. Almost seems as though many now in a frenzy of winter and the snow against what our survey shows for the winter 2011/2012. Most likely it is to the present time that the weather situation around the 17th/18th. November is going to change around. Both weather models expect a large accumulation of cold air north of the Arctic Circle - Experience shows that it is only a matter of time until it finds its way to the south. Whether Germany will then be affected, to the present state can not be said, but there are already trends and probabilities. The U.S. weather model anticipates a moderate form of the temperature drop on november typical values ​​between 2 and 5 degrees from 20 Of November. The European weather model calculated from 19 November with a more typical winter constellation (high between Greenland and Scandinavia, gravure east Scandinavia), which enables the transport of cold air southward. If the scenario of the European weather model to arrive, with the first onset of winter around the 19th Expected around November. The view of the control runs indicates that a significantly cooler phase is significantly more likely than a continuation of the mild phase. The odds are still not bad for the first snow in the last Novembderdrittel.
    bb1234567 wrote: »
    i couldnt help but read that article in a german accent:p

I'll be calling this month Novembderdrittel from now on. Or, Novembderdrizzle, as it were.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

mcriot29 wrote: »
    warning from around 27th of nov all the way into jan 2012 ireland is about to get hit by a big freeze dublin city council where advised this morning from the norway met service they said a big dip is the A O index is on the way which will lead to a long spell of cold air over all of west europe
    he grits the roads etc

Did they pass this information on to Met Eireann? If so, it would seem from Met Eireann's recent press release they disagree with them.

he grits the roads etc

Did they pass this information on to Met Eireann? If so, it would seem from Met Eireann's recent press release they disagree with them.

Nov 27th is Piers Corbyns prediction

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

he grits the roads etc
    Sorry but why would Dublin City Council be talking to the Norway Met Office?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Villain wrote: »

Was just thinking that myself :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Would the Dublin city Council even know what the A O index was??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

kkontour wrote: »
    Would the Dublin city Council even know what the A O index was??
    Most likely not and from my expierence the only weather information our Council's receive comes from Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Caff Caff wrote: »
    Nov 27th is Piers Corbyns prediction
    what time? :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

delw wrote: »
    what time? :D;)

9-13am :) bought 2 packs of saxa meself today too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭andre2010

this is so funny. i love this post! I really hope snow is on the way, but no one can accurately predict it, not past ten days anyway. maybe on the 17th of november we might get a clearer picture.

I can understand why these forecasts can be slightly inaccurate, but the fact there are so many of them, some saying heavy snow, artic conditions, and some saying the complete opposite, that i cannot understand.

My main issue is MET releasing a statement saying no artic conditions at all. Would the really chance saying something like that if they werent really sure? I know met arent that accurate at the best of times but surely they have some information they are basing this on

ha the irish met wouldent know what the ao index was last year 3 days before the big thunder snow and big freeze they said there could be sleet and temps around 3 c instead it was -4 and snow they dont know there ass from there elbow
    waste of space they are
    joe basterdi has just said on his twitter the ao and nao are about to drop in dec so if this does happen ireland will get hit just like last year also signs are there for strat warming too PIERS AND JOE B are both looking at the ao going very low in dec ;)
    before i heard this i was going with a normal irish mild winter but with the Ao AND Nao going low in dec this can only mean one thing artic air being pushed south and the AO index effects west europe the worst
    also look at the models notice very cold air over norway and russia in 7 days or so it wouldent take much for this to come over us a good push could see this over ireland in a matter of days

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

andre2010 wrote: »
    this is so funny. i love this post! I really hope snow is on the way, but no one can accurately predict it, not past ten days anyway. maybe on the 17th of november we might get a clearer picture.

I can understand why these forecasts can be slightly inaccurate, but the fact there are so many of them, some saying heavy snow, artic conditions, and some saying the complete opposite, that i cannot understand.

My main issue is MET releasing a statement saying no artic conditions at all. Would the really chance saying something like that if they werent really sure? I know met arent that accurate at the best of times but surely they have some information they are basing this on

Im not sure this is what they said.
    It was more, MET Eireann have no indication of artic conditions coming this winter. Im sure that they have no indication of mild weather coming this winter.
    They only forecast the next 7 days.

i bought piers forecast last dec he was way off for jan 2011 i mean way off said there woudl be snowstorms etc at start of jan and there was none however joe b said irish winter snow was over after dec he was spot on i have to say
    joe has said where going to get hit again this dec uk ireland etc
    and piers seems sure too so at least joe seems to be going with same idea as piers this year
    i think come dec we will have snow
    if not maybe a normal **** irish winter till we get too around 2014 and the sunpots dip off again i think from 2014 till around 2028 we could see some of the worst winters since the 1600 1700s even in the mini ice age there was mild winters in between so if this winter is mild normal irish winter dont get down :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I see Gerard Fleming on the news explaining that they have access to monthly forecasts and that no severe winter weather was in the pipeline.
    I found it strange, since last week Evelyn Cusack basically said no can predict long range forecasts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement