Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Winter 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Horrible warm Novembers. I want a refund.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Birdnuts wrote: »
    :confused:

This Novemeber is on course to be one of the mildest ever!!

You said there is no sign on the models of winter im saying there is , Im not disputing it has been a mild november :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Iancar29 wrote: »

WOuld recommend UCD's new updated climate page with its own charts now :)

http://mathsci.ucd.ie/met/mcc-forecast.html

excellent, Ian.You should add it to useful weather links.Nice work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭pauldry

Id say wer in for a bit of chilly weather in the next couple of weeks. How chilly it is hard to say yet as models may chicken out and leave the euro high over continent but there are tentative signs of a breakdown of this mild muck from the end of November and beginning of December.

Probably it will be 6c by day though just missing out the chance for snow just to pee us all off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

pauldry wrote: »
    Id say wer in for a bit of chilly weather in the next couple of weeks. How chilly it is hard to say yet as models may chicken out and leave the euro high over continent but there are tentative signs of a breakdown of this mild muck from the end of November and beginning of December.

Probably it will be 6c by day though just missing out the chance for snow just to pee us all off.

To be honest once it's not really mild, I'd even be happy with 6c! I love the cold crisp days:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

leahyl wrote: »
    To be honest once it's not really mild, I'd even be happy with 6c! I love the cold crisp days:D

375707_177066879051586_176235642468043_361093_1698566926_n.jpg

.... * tear* :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Once the rain stays away , that would be fine golfing weather !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

sam34 wrote: »
    elmer blooker and tzfrantic banned for personal abuse.

everyone else, back on topic please.
    are they both banned from weather forum forever? or is it just temp ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Once the rain stays away , that would be fine golfing weather !
    There some hope ao may be about to dip worth keeping an eye on it i see day 14 its dipping but needs a few more days to see.
    I notice piers has gone quiet when i asked him about where the cold he predicted
    Anyone know is irishweatheronline
    Gone bust or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 goosey93

mcriot29 wrote: »
    There some hope ao may be about to dip worth keeping an eye on it i see day 14 its dipping but needs a few more days to see.
    I notice piers has gone quiet when i asked him about where the cold he predicted

Piers posted this today http://twitpic.com/7ioave
    He is still going for cold by the start of december

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

"Cold run of the ensembles as the flip is coming,,gotta watch 70 north 70 east to see if ridge blocks over the pole"

From joes facebook page 2 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Kippure wrote: »
    "Cold run of the ensembles as the flip is coming,,gotta watch 70 north 70 east to see if ridge blocks over the pole"

From joes facebook page 2 minutes ago.

Seen that, what's the flip?

baraca wrote: »

In lay-mans terms, the atlantic turning off and a more north-north easterly flow. A mid atlantic ridge like we had 365 days ago which began last years cold winter...i think...

In lay-mans terms, the atlantic turning off and a more north-north easterly flow. A mid atlantic ridge like we had 365 days ago which began last years cold winter...i think...
    Does he not mean north east flow for the us thats totally diff to europe iv heard if the east of the us gets a cold blast it leads to uk etc getting cold 10 days later
    But if the atlantic turns off thats good news

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Have no fear - I have just made the decision NOT to get winter tyres for my car and I'm travelling home for Christmas - ergo I will be horribly inconvenienced on both counts by obscene amounts of snow...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Celtic Snow Man

Yo,

What does anybody think of this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/15859163

Will this be good in the long run for us snow lovers?

Is this the flip that Piers and Joe are talking about?

Does he not mean north east flow for the us thats totally diff to europe iv heard if the east of the us gets a cold blast it leads to uk etc getting cold 10 days later
    But if the atlantic turns off thats good news

Think this is what joe means.

29442106a.th.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Update from James madden

24th November 2011 - Update

As in my last update on the 8th November, I stated that I was expecting some pattern changes that was slightly later than anticipated, as we head into the final third of November and most of December. The pattern that we have experienced for November to date, is not the pattern I am expecting for the meteorological winter of 2011-12 (December, January, February). I am however expecting a significant pattern change, that will result in a dominantly negative North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) and Arctic Oscillation (AO) for the majority of the upcoming winter.

When I first issued my summer and winter forecast on Exacta Weather in late January/Youtube in early February, I stated that I had high confidence that the meteorological summer (June, July, August) was likely to be below-average in terms of temperature, with largely above average rainfall, based on the parameters I consider within my personal long range forecasting techniques.

The UK summer rainfall was 18% above normal according to Met Office statistics

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2011/summer.html

All three months also came in below-average (June, July, August) in terms of Central England Temperature (the oldest temperature dataset in the world – over 350 years old) and as I originally forecast. This factor/correct forecast also has an important bearing on my winter forecast (December, January, February) that was also issued at the same time as my summer forecast earlier this year.

June -0.4C

July -0.8C

August -0.4C

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/cet_info_mean.html

As I have stated many times throughout this year, I am expecting a more sustained blocking pattern in comparison to last year, that will bring frequent cold and above normal snow to many parts of the UK and Ireland this winter. It is therefore a logical conclusion that snowfall or temperature records could be broken within this defined time frame, or for the winter as a whole. I still expect many northern regions, Scotland, and parts of Ireland to experience the worst of these conditions.

Scotland will begin to see snowfall mainly across high ground as we head into this weekend. Snow will continue to affect Scotland and become more widespread within this region as we head into next week, with an increasing possibility of snow to lower parts of the UK and Ireland, as we head into the final few days of November and the first third of December. The remainder of December as a whole is likely to feature largely below-average temperatures, with deep widespread snow accumulations across many parts of the UK and Ireland. Any required updates will be posted accordingly.

James Madden (UK Long Range Forecaster)

ExactaWeather.com

Published: 24th November 2011 (09:37) GMT
    Content copyright © 2010-2011. Exacta Weather. All rights reserved

http://www.exactaweather.com/UK_Long_Range_Forecast.html

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭damino

Bring on the snow, then cold sunny days:) This weather we're having is depressing:( Everybody is down. At least in long cold spells we get some lovely sun. I would luv to experience walking on frozen canals such as the grand and royal canals. Now that would be an experince. My uncle who passed away on new years use to say to me that during winter 62/63 everybody could walk, slide and have fun on the canals. My father said he can barely remember but does remember the snow came on Christmas day about 6 in the evening. Lets hope we get that sort of setup:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Fair play to James madden firmly sticking to his guns. Will be interesting to see what comes of it now next month, Although i fear if we don't see a pattern change emerging soon it could be curtains for a white Christmas.

Alas there is still January and February left if it fails. ;)

Fair play to James madden firmly sticking to his guns. Will be interesting to see what comes of it now next month, Although i fear if we don't see a pattern change emerging soon it could be curtains for a white Christmas.

Don't forget March and April....;)

• Advertisement

Don't forget March and April....;)
    Hopefully it does happen and is worse then last year todays AO index shows it deeping in 14 days

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Hopefully it does happen and is worse then last year todays AO index shows it deeping in 14 days

Do you mean dipping ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It's a bit like him telling us he's goona win the lotto.
    Of course it could happen, and the moon could turn blue with cold but in reality his forecasts are and have been proven to be away with the fairies

It's a bit like him telling us he's goona win the lotto.
    Of course it could happen, and the moon could turn blue with cold but in reality his forecasts are and have been proven to be away with the fairies

Would you complain if he told you were going to win the lotto..and you did.... He got last winter, better then alot of the other weather services.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

Yo,

What does anybody think of this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/15859163

Will this be good in the long run for us snow lovers?

Is this the flip that Piers and Joe are talking about?

This other video from the BBC website might aid in answering your question.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/15865908

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Hooter23

http://twitpic.com/7ioave :eek:

Very cold winter still coming according to this piers corbyn guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

Hooter23 wrote: »

So if that's true we're 3 days (almost 2 now) away from a cooling down?

Hooter23 wrote: »

Heres a new forecast iv not seen before

http://wccweatherclimate.moonfruit.com/long-range-forecasts/4557755031

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

Yay!
    Renewed hope for some snow this year :)
    We only got a dusting in East Cork last year, hopefully we might get some this year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

Drakmord wrote: »
    Yay!
    Renewed hope for some snow this year :)
    We only got a dusting in East Cork last year, hopefully we might get some this year :)
    What way? I can't open the link at all. Would be nice cork Waterford to get proper snow for a change :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement