Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Latest from the UKMO

UK Outlook for Wednesday 30 Nov 2011 to Friday 9 Dec 2011:

It will be a largely unsettled period across the bulk of the UK, with the wettest and windiest weather generally towards the northwest, with gales and spells of heavy rain or showers most likely here. Showers will turn to snow at times over high ground in the north, perhaps falling to lower levels on occasion, with a low chance of this also threatening central parts of the UK at times. There will, however, be some drier and more settled interludes too, especially towards the south of the country later in the period. Temperatures are likely to be around or a little below the seasonal average, bringing an increased risk of frost overnight almost anywhere during any more settled spells.
    Updated: 1132 on Fri 25 Nov 2011

UK Outlook for Saturday 10 Dec 2011 to Saturday 24 Dec 2011:

The generally changeable westerly theme is likely to continue through the middle part of December, with spells of wet and windy weather separated by some drier interludes. Generally, rainfall amounts are expected to be around or a bit above average, meaning that western areas will on the whole see more rain than the east, although some rainy spells are likely for all parts. Sunshine hours should also be close to or slightly above normal, with eastern parts more likely to experience the best of the sun. In terms of temperatures, many places are likely to see a trend towards somewhat milder than average conditions, but this does not rule out some colder snaps and the chances of frost and hill snow will continue to increase later in the month.
    Updated: 1208 on Fri 25 Nov 2011

Meh.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Latest from the UKMO

UK Outlook for Wednesday 30 Nov 2011 to Friday 9 Dec 2011:

It will be a largely unsettled period across the bulk of the UK, with the wettest and windiest weather generally towards the northwest, with gales and spells of heavy rain or showers most likely here. Showers will turn to snow at times over high ground in the north, perhaps falling to lower levels on occasion, with a low chance of this also threatening central parts of the UK at times. There will, however, be some drier and more settled interludes too, especially towards the south of the country later in the period. Temperatures are likely to be around or a little below the seasonal average, bringing an increased risk of frost overnight almost anywhere during any more settled spells.
    Updated: 1132 on Fri 25 Nov 2011

UK Outlook for Saturday 10 Dec 2011 to Saturday 24 Dec 2011:

The generally changeable westerly theme is likely to continue through the middle part of December, with spells of wet and windy weather separated by some drier interludes. Generally, rainfall amounts are expected to be around or a bit above average, meaning that western areas will on the whole see more rain than the east, although some rainy spells are likely for all parts. Sunshine hours should also be close to or slightly above normal, with eastern parts more likely to experience the best of the sun. In terms of temperatures, many places are likely to see a trend towards somewhat milder than average conditions, but this does not rule out some colder snaps and the chances of frost and hill snow will continue to increase later in the month.
    Updated: 1208 on Fri 25 Nov 2011
    a pinch of salt;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No salt needed methinks! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

So... will it snow next month?

Africa wrote: »

Yep... 23rd Dec... about 2.16pm , in ur back garden ... on the left hand side only... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

/comic book guy

Worse Winter Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Africa wrote: »

It will probably turn colder as is usually the case when it is December but to try and say it will snow this far away is guessing really.

If it helps I think we will have a short cold snap next month that may contain snow, but weather is my hobby not my profession so take my predictions with a pinch of salt. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yahew wrote: »

Worse Winter Ever.

IT'S ONLY NOVEMBER! IT'S STILL AUTUMN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

The AO index is up again today 14 days out so no real cold for us in the next 2 weeks looks like piers will be way off again and madden keeps saying every month cold for next month i can see it been march and madden will still be telling us snow and cold on way .
    Reminds me of last dec i bought piers forecast for jan 2011 and he was totally wrong i really think my cat could predict weather better then these 2 con men piers and madden or mad man as most call him

Joe b is another man who moves things around to suit his forecasts after they happen and pretends he predicts them

I have to say im looking forward to next tuesdays chat from piers he will feed us more crap about dec been super cold even tough anyone can be certain no cold looking at AO and NAO no long term cold on way for next few weeks yet piers still craping on about this 28th nov date he says oh its a delay PIERS NEWSFLASH ITS NOT THE 39 TO CLONSILLA BUS :mad:
    rant over :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

OwenC, that you?

• Advertisement

mcriot29 wrote: »
    The AO index is up again today 14 days out so no real cold for us in the next 2 weeks looks like piers will be way off again and madden keeps saying every month cold for next month i can see it been march and madden will still be telling us snow and cold on way .
    Reminds me of last dec i bought piers forecast for jan 2011 and he was totally wrong i really think my cat could predict weather better then these 2 con men piers and madden or mad man as most call him

Joe b is another man who moves things around to suit his forecasts after they happen and pretends he predicts them

I have to say im looking forward to next tuesdays chat from piers he will feed us more crap about dec been super cold even tough anyone can be certain no cold looking at AO and NAO no long term cold on way for next few weeks yet piers still craping on about this 28th nov date he says oh its a delay PIERS NEWSFLASH ITS NOT THE 39 TO CLONSILLA BUS :mad:

We dont need just AO and NAO to bring cold... there just factors ." You can still make a cake if you have no salt" ...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Iancar29 wrote: »
    We dont need just AO and NAO to bring cold... there just factors ." You can still make a cake if you have no salt" ...:rolleyes:
    Salt is one thing we have plenty of :p

http://trafficscotland.org/lev/# Traffic cams have snow in scotland now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Yes correct but we do for long term cold as in 2 weeks last years and year before cold was from ao and nao dipping low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

http://trafficscotland.org/lev/# Traffic cams have snow in scotland now :)
    Would that give much snow on cairngorms? two irish lads died up there last year in avalanche i think.

QUOTE : June B. "seen the first sleet in north kilkenny this evening"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

DOCARCH wrote: »
    IT'S ONLY NOVEMBER! IT'S STILL AUTUMN!!!

Winter is November/December/January no?

Winter is November/December/January no?

Meteorological winter is Dec, Jan & Feb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Who puts salt in a cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

baraca wrote: »
    Who puts salt in a cake!
    i think you have to,its kind of important..i remember i did a cooking class and my teacher had some reason for it..cant remember now though:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Roll up roll up place your bets.

Paddypower

Warmest temperature in December 2011

Singles only.

Applies to the warmest temperature recorded by Met Eireann during December 2011. Must be published in the Monthly Weather Summary for December 2011 on www.met.ie. Must be confirmed by end February 2012 or bets void. PP decision final.

18.1C or higher
    16/1

16.1C - 18.0C
    11/2

14.1C - 16.0C
    6/4

12.1C - 14.0C
    13/8

10.1C - 12.0C
    4/1

10C or lower
    10/1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

bb1234567 wrote: »
    i think you have to,its kind of important..i remember i did a cooking class and my teacher had some reason for it..cant remember now though:p

Only in some cakes do you use salt , just when bread soda has been used as a raising agent .

* Asked her indoors , she is a home ec teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

bb1234567 wrote: »

You use it in most sweet things, it helps draw out the flavour and not make it savoury as most people think.

Anyway, I'm sick of this warm weather. I want ice and frost and the need to throw foot balls at giant icicles again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Here is the Netweather winter foecast for 2011/2011 going for a reverse of last years, coldest month in Feb and our cold coming from the east, very similar to what MT said

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=winter-forecast-summary-2011;sess=

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 captain Kane man

The pheranium ph equelect has fulminated at a reduced ordinance of 340orx the residue foloscope points to a grevix rise of .4zq creating a 75/3 blq

In total we are guaranteed temperatures of only 3~15 continuum all winter not a whisp of snow I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The pheranium ph equelect has fulminated at a reduced ordinance of 340orx the residue foloscope points to a grevix rise of .4zq creating a 75/3 blq

In total we are guaranteed temperatures of only 3~15 continuum all winter not a whisp of snow I'm afraid

0300_ymsh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Took the words right out of my mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

we'll have none of that talk around here :D;)

p.s :welcome to boards weather :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The conditions upstream are cack for sustained cold for sometime to come. We are as far away from a blocking as we could possibly be :(

With this in mind I wonder how the likes of Corbyn are going to play it? If we get sustained cold in January or February. He'll probably say he got the forecast right, but the actual timing was slightly wrong :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

The conditions upstream are cack for sustained cold for sometime to come. We are as far away from a blocking as we could possibly be :(

With this in mind I wonder how the likes of Corbyn are going to play it? If we get sustained cold in January or February. He'll probably say he got the forecast right, but the actual timing was slightly wrong :pac:

:( Winter is ruined!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement