Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Wild Bill wrote: »
    I think it will be more of a 1978/79 winter. :cool:

i wasnt even a twinkle in me daddys eye back then but dad said it was pretty bad! Cant find pics of it, only ones from uk. bring it on i reckon

lets hope your right wild bill ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 captain Kane man

It would appear that the totalitarian facscist regime whom have made this forum their own little clique including ' the moderator' have difficulty with scientific appraisal. allow me to simplify my ascertains

A baroclinic zone should result in rising motion due to density differences. This will result in atmospheric condensation and precipitation manifesting in the emergence of 2. 6-sided crystalline aggregates being gravitationally forced to the surface. The horizontal pressure gradient force is quite tight.leading to in flow and horizontal vorticity  beeing tilted into the mesocylone. The formation of Condensation at a spherical contour equating to 4.4.446frw will occur upon condensation nuclei as the parcel lifts to a margin of 21.clZ, cools adiabatically and Sensible heat and a high vapor pressure of water molecules produce extremely high theta-E values.

In e n g l I s h 3-15qzx mean baromotherm vacuum spaciaci.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jjspine

It would appear that the totalitarian facscist regime whom have made this forum their own little clique including ' the moderator' have difficulty with scientific appraisal. allow me to simplify my ascertains

A baroclinic zone should result in rising motion due to density differences. This will result in atmospheric condensation and precipitation manifesting in the emergence of 2. 6-sided crystalline aggregates being gravitationally forced to the surface. The horizontal pressure gradient force is quite tight.leading to in flow and horizontal vorticity  beeing tilted into the mesocylone. The formation of Condensation at a spherical contour equating to 4.4.446frw will occur upon condensation nuclei as the parcel lifts to a margin of 21.clZ, cools adiabatically and Sensible heat and a high vapor pressure of water molecules produce extremely high theta-

Lol are you serious ???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

What was that winter like ?

I seem to recall that Christmas 1978 was mild and wet, with floods on St Stephens day. Then in the period between Xmas and the New year it became severely cold and snowed, with burst pipes abounding and the floods freezing. New Years day '79 remains the lowest Jan temp in NI at -17.5C, while Met.ie has the lowest air temperature recorded in the 20th century as -18.8°C at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979.

It then snowed several times in January and on and off until April.
    The Irish Times archives reported people cut off in Wicklow on 12 Feb and reports on 3 April 1979 that the Met Office said that "Much snow fell during March", while two days later they reported that "Snow hits many parts of the country"!

So the one line answer is "Bloody cold"

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

only one wrote: »
    Hi 1978 79 winter was a good winter for snow if your intrested in viewing past winters for snow type in on google netweather history of british winters.

• Advertisement

Hi 1978 79 winter was a good winter for snow if your intrested in viewing past winters for snow type in on google netweather history of british winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

A baroclinic zone should result in rising motion due to density differences. This will result in atmospheric condensation and precipitation manifesting in the emergence of 2. 6-sided crystalline aggregates being gravitationally forced to the surface. The horizontal pressure gradient force is quite tight.leading to in flow and horizontal vorticity beeing tilted into the mesocylone. The formation of Condensation at a spherical contour equating to 4.4.446frw will occur upon condensation nuclei as the parcel lifts to a margin of 21.clZ, cools adiabatically and Sensible heat and a high vapor pressure of water molecules produce extremely high theta-E values.

Yes this is our own little clique so feck off we don't like outsiders impinging on our space, especially when they have nothing of value to contribute.

HAVE THIS MAN BANNED!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

Beasterly, I'm no scientist, but I believe he is talking about snow?:D Surely that is perfectly acceptable on this forum?

💩BAN CAPTAIN KANE MAN BAN CAPTAIN KANE MAN BAN CAPTAIN KANE MAN BAN CAPTAIN KANE MAN
    💩
    OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

"The appliance of science"

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

💩BAN CAPTAIN KANE MAN BAN CAPTAIN KANE MAN BAN CAPTAIN KANE MAN BAN CAPTAIN KANE MAN
    💩
    OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

are you from france ???

• Advertisement

mcriot29 wrote: »
    Living in the UK at the time, I remember trying to get to work on a moped and finding myself in a 3m snowdrift, this was on the third route I tried all the others were even more impassible!

I was riding along OK then suddenly dropped a couple of metres as I then realised that I was riding along the top of the snow drift and not on the road at all, gave up and went home! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

ardmacha wrote: »
    I seem to recall that Christmas 1978 was mild and wet, with floods on St Stephens day. Then in the period between Xmas and the New year it became severely cold and snowed, with burst pipes abounding and the floods freezing. New Years day '79 remains the lowest Jan temp in NI at -17.5C, while Met.ie has the lowest air temperature recorded in the 20th century as -18.8°C at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979.

The Irish Times archives reported people cut off in Wicklow on 12 Feb and reports on 3 April 1979 that the Met Office said that "Much snow fell during March", while two days later they reported that "Snow hits many parts of the country"!

This sounds good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Drakmord wrote: »
    :( Winter is ruined!

Don't despair. The mild fiends can feel smug for now, but soon they will weep, weep uncontrollably, when the beast from the east says hello in the first week of January, likes the cut of the place, and decides to stay for a few weeks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

A baroclinic zone should result in rising motion due to density differences. This will result in atmospheric condensation and precipitation manifesting in the emergence of 2. 6-sided crystalline aggregates being gravitationally forced to the surface. The horizontal pressure gradient force is quite tight.leading to in flow and horizontal vorticity  beeing tilted into the mesocylone. The formation of Condensation at a spherical contour equating to 4.4.446frw will occur upon condensation nuclei as the parcel lifts to a margin of 21.clZ, cools adiabatically and Sensible heat and a high vapor pressure of water molecules produce extremely high theta-E values.

Well the general gist of it is true :P

NIALL D wrote: »
    💩
    OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

are you from france ???

Non mon ami, If I was fronch and from fraaance the last line would read

"Le appliance of l'science"

BAN CAPTAIN KANE MAN BAN CAPTAIN KANE MAN BAN CAPTAIN KANE MAN
    💩
    OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

OCCUPY THE FORUM ✌⛺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

^^^^Come on mods this is getting boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Our friend captain Kane man has been given a ban to give him time to go off and learn some English so that he can read the forum rules before posting.

ardmacha wrote: »

Sounds brilliant alright.

Winters such as 1979, prove if we get a potent cold spell, with deep snow cover, the stronger sun and its position in the sky during February can be easily counteracted under the right conditions. So those of you who think snow in February is always a waste, think again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bjjm

I have to say I enjoy reading this forum but someone needs to get a grip of the mods. Banning humour and discussions about weather sites they are involved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

bjjm wrote: »
    I have to say I enjoy reading this forum but someone needs to get a grip of the mods. Banning humour and discussions about weather sites they are involved in.

Is that you Captain?

This thread is for people interested and knowledgable about (winter) weather, if filled with rubbish posts it becomes of no use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

There are rules that must be followed when posting, and which are accepted by a user when registering. These include rules on trolling and provocation, and also include back-seat moderating, so I would suggest you go and have a read of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Sounds brilliant alright.

Winters such as 1979, prove if we get a potent cold spell, with deep snow cover, the stronger sun and its position in the sky during February can be easily counteracted under the right conditions. So those of you who think snow in February is always a waste, think again!

just a question, if we get snow in feb and if it turned out to be like 79 would the snow be wetish as it tends more to be in feb, or would it be more like december last yr with that powder ski snow as i lik to call it do you think.

just wondering if the time of the year is a factor of the type of snow that we get sorry im still a learner

just a question, if we get snow in feb and if it turned out to be like 79 would the snow be wetish as it tends more to be in feb, or would it be more like december last yr with that powder ski snow as i lik to call it do you think.

just wondering if the time of the year is a factor of the type of snow that we get sorry im still a learner

If we get an airmass from a really could source(say siberia), that isn't greatly modified on the way, then the snow will be dry.

For example, the winters of 1947 and 1963; there was tons of powdery snow throughout the month of February

Su campu can probably provide a more comprehensive answer

It's one thing to use humour to impart knowledge and generate discussion, which some users do here very well, but that man or a woman seem to be just on a wind up mission which is inevitably going to become tiresome and annoying to a lot of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The mild fiends can feel smug for now, but soon they will weep, weep uncontrollably, when the beast from the east says hello in the first week of January,

More likely will shiver uncontrollably....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=winter-forecast-summary-2011;sess=

A video of how they make there forecast and the forecast its self .

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

mcriot29 wrote: »
    Cool I'll check that thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Don't know if this has been posted yet

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/prepare-for-record-snow-and-cold

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

JeffK88 wrote: »

The weather forecasts are so conflicted from one another at the moment. It's really hard to know what will happen.
    Hoping this forecast will come true though.
    Nothing like a white December :)

• Advertisement

Drakmord wrote: »
    JeffK88 wrote: »

The weather forecasts are so conflicted from one another at the moment. It's really hard to know what will happen.
    Hoping this forecast will come true though.
    Nothing like a white December :)

I think most are hoping for a white dec
    Heres a good link some may find of intrest

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=other;type=winthist;sess=

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement