Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Didn't we get a massive windy storm just before the snow last year, i seem to remember just cant be 100%...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

UPDATE _ Wednesday, 9:30 p.m.

Heavy and possibly thundery rain likely this evening around Limerick, local flooding may develop or intensify in parts of counties around Limerick and Lough Derg including east Clare, parts of Offaly, Tipps and Cork. May update this if the risk appears to be spreading further northeast.

17/11/2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Just trying to find posts to see if it was stormy before we got cold last year , not a great example though

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

My cat wrote the word 'snow' in the condenstation on our sitting room window with her paw earlier this evening. She looked at me with a wise glint in her eye, as if to suggest she knows its coming.

I didn't even know cats could write, let alone predict weather.

There is something sexist in there somewhere but I can't put my paws on it. Either way, nicely done but I do think she is right that we have a similar mini storm ie strong gales and heavy rain which made the frosty morning all the worse when the cold really set in...not that that would be a 100% precursor to a similar winter this year. Cynicism aside...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

jessie37 wrote: »
    Just trying to find posts to see if it was stormy before we got cold last year , not a great example though
    Iancar is the man to let you know about it,im sure he & an other poster went to Achill chasing it,could be wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Didn't we get a massive windy storm just before the snow last year, i seem to remember just cant be 100%...

storm carmen on Nov 9 2010

Mark Vogan believes that there will be a significant drop in temperatures in the second week of December and that much of the UK will be snow covered in the week up to Christmas. Hmmm... So himself, Piers, the odd persons Cat :rolleyes: and (correct me if I am wrong) Madden believe from around 14/15 of December we (UK and Ireland) will begin to see a lot of snow? I'll believe it because I want to... Some nice charts on FI too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Caff Caff wrote: »
    Mark Vogan believes that there will be a significant drop in temperatures in the second week of December and that much of the UK will be snow covered in the week up to Christmas. Hmmm... So himself, Piers, the odd persons Cat :rolleyes: and (correct me if I am wrong) Madden believe from around 14/15 of December we (UK and Ireland) will begin to see a lot of snow? I'll believe it because I want to... Some nice charts on FI too. :D

You can include me in that list as well, Although probably not to the extent of vogans views!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    storm carmen on Nov 9 2010

Thats the one! :)

Seems im the person for the videos tonight aye? :rolleyes: :pac:

10/12/2011 High Low
    Temp 6° -3°
    Normal 9° 3°
    Record N/A N/A
    Last Year 1° -2°

This is from accuweather

• Advertisement

01/12/2011 High Low
    Temp 7° 2°
    Normal 9° 3
    Record N/A N/A
    Last Year 1° -2°

This is today, the 1st. Happy Winter everyone!! *we hope*

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Looking even better around here :)

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=snowforecast;page=6;type=winter;ct=8590~Derry;sess=#forecast

-6C upper temps so it should be marginal for me at around 100m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭ff9999

Welcoming these chilly mornings with open arms! Time for another layer of clothing:D

RTE WEATHER
    tonight will reach lows of 3 to -2 with frost developing tonight but clearing as the night progresses.

3 Day Outlook 
    Very unsettled weather continuing and turning colder over the weekend. There will be further rain or heavy showers at times and often windy periods. FRIDAY NIGHT : Becoming dry and cool in many areas on Friday night but some rain in parts of the southwest, overnight lows of 3 to 5 degrees and significant frost is unlikely. SATURDAY : Cool, bright and windy on Saturday, with sunny spells and occasional heavy showers especially in southwestern, western and northern counties. Max. 7 to 10C. Min. overnight values 2 to 5 Celsius, with a patchy frost in sheltered places. SUNDAY & MONDAY : Colder weather. Rain or showers in many places on Sunday, and becoming very windy for a time late in the day and early Sunday night. Showers will continue in western and northern areas overnight and on Monday, and some are likely to be wintry. Frost where winds ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mrweatherman

amazing i was slagged off last night for looking at metcheck and they seem to be in line with other websites eg accuweather etc about 2nd week of december getting cold and higher risk of snow

Correct me if I am wrong, but you got a mod's slap on the wrist for having calling Met Eireann 'liars'.

By the way, Metcheck is one of scores of websites that scrape models like the gfs for their forecasts. There is no human input involved and most often output is based on only one of numerous models. It is no worse or better than many other services of that kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭vtec_vixen

I think the snow is getting closer. This thread is fascinating, as a complete weather novice is all very interesting. Keeps me out of trouble in work and Im learning loads along the way :)

So thanks you guys keep the flag flying :):D:D

Charts out to mid December keep us in this mild, cold, mild, cold.... setup. Unsettled, changeable and typical irish winter best describe the coming fortnight. Potential for snowfall does exist for about 8-9 days from now during one of the cold periods.

Besides that, the storm MTC mentioned this morning's has tracked slightly north but is continuing to show as a powerful system.

Ensembles Horriblus.

Can anyone explain the huge drop in the 500hpa over the next 24 hrs?

183347.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Ensembles Horriblus.

183347.gif

Is a drop in it bad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Ensembles Horriblus.

Upper level trough maybe?.... pure guess ...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Is a drop in it bad ?

No, just strange as it is by itself in dropping by so much so quickly.

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Charts out to mid December keep us in this mild, cold, mild, cold.... setup. Unsettled, changeable and typical irish winter best describe the coming fortnight. Potential for snowfall does exist for about 8-9 days from now during one of the cold periods.

Besides that, the storm MTC mentioned this morning's has tracked slightly north but is continuing to show as a powerful system.

Is this sudden dip in temperature a sign of corbyns predictions of snow and if so will it be just northern parts of Ireland or all over???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Piers Corbyn iirc predicted icy siberian blasts most winters in the 2000's.
    He's usually wrong.

The old,it will rain tomorrow expression comes to mind.
    Eventually it does.
    Best advice is to not expect Corbyns predictions to happen and you won't be disappointed.

The sad reality at the moment is that theres no sign in the reliable or even beyond of anything at the moment approaching even a 10th of what we saw in December '10
    As Wolfie said earlier a few times,cold mild,cold mild and a lot of wet.
    Plenty snow at times on the tops of Brandon Carraun,the Galtee's or Lug but pitch a Tent above 2000ft mostly to see it and for goodness sake wear something warm and bring plenty supplies ...

This outlook may well change as it's very early days yet.
    No two winters are always the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Ensembles Horriblus.

It just represents the upper trough we are under at the moment Wolf that came in behind yesterday's front.

sss_1.gif

the above forecast for the next 12hrs or so shows it passing fairly quickly which is in line with the ensemble horribilis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

jo06555 wrote: »
    Is this sudden dip in temperature a sign of corbyns predictions of snow and if so will it be just northern parts of Ireland or all over???

No it's a sign that the winds are going to be blowing more from the north for the time being. There might be some snow in the north west but this is not an unusual occurance.

19% of US covered in snow this morning

183355.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

19% of US covered in snow this morning

183355.jpeg
    is there a site showing same for europe?

• Advertisement

Santa's beard got caught in abseiling gear at a Florida shopping centre, making for an agonising descent to the waiting children below.

He will be ok in time for Xmas thankfully ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement