Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

C14N wrote: »
    I wish I knew what all this weather talk was about :(

Is there still any chance of snow or should I give up at this stage?

There is a chance all the way out until the end of March some would say :rolleyes:

This is the first day of Winter , there is loads of fun to come of that I am sure !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

jo06555 wrote: »
    I'm assuming its Scandinavian high pressure ? I'm as much in the dark here as you :) I'm just hoping it is a sign of some oncoming snowy conditions soon maybe ;)

A scandi High would allow cold weather to sink across our shores from an Easterly direction ,

Some what similar to this chart I think .

183407.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here's a multimodel blend of the GFS, GENS, ECMWF and BOM for the mentioned storm next Thursday. Stiff west-northwesterly winds, with some snow on hills in the northwest.

183406.png

183409.png

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

jo06555 wrote: »
    I'm assuming its Scandinavian high pressure ? I'm as much in the dark here as you :) I'm just hoping it is a sign of some oncoming snowy conditions soon maybe ;)

A scandi High would allow cold weather to sink across our shores from an Easterly direction ,

Some what similar to this chart I think .

[IMG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/181192/183407.png[/ If this set wad to happen it would be at least 3 weeks away but im thinking jan or feb is are best bet for this unless we get a jan type event like 1985[/img]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

There is a chance all the way out until the end of March some would say :rolleyes:

This is the first day of Winter , there is loads of fun to come of that I am sure !

Well that depends who you are (always considered November the start of winter myself). I just really want a bit of snow for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

I know it's still very hard to tell guys seeing as the models aren't even really showing it but what do ye reckon the realistic possibilities of this Scandi high are? I'm just praying for the AO and NAO to plummet for some prolonged cold and some mood changing snow!! early Christmas present please :p

I know it's still very hard to tell guys seeing as the models aren't even really showing it but what do ye reckon the realistic possibilities of this Scandi high are? I'm just praying for the AO and NAO to plummet for some prolonged cold and some mood changing snow!! early Christmas present please :p
    I cant see the AO or NAO going below -1 this side of xmas the ao has more of a chance of gong very low in time the Nao less of a chance
    The PDO is on the way up now too
    But we may get lucky and have a 1984 85 type event where we get cold air from a Plus AO and NAO

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

mcriot29 wrote: »
    I cant see the AO or NAO going below -1 this side of xmas the ao has more of a chance of gong very low in time the Nao less of a chance
    But we may get lucky and have a 1984 85 type event where we get cold air from a Plus AO and NAO

What the hell is pdo,ao and nao?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Saw this vid in the angling forum :eek: hopefully we'll only be seeing such scenes of watery-woe after mega snow melts in spring 2012:

Bring on the white stuff, save the salmon.

More importantly ,

Whats more important to us ,

A negative NAO (North Atlantic Oscillation) OR

A negative Arctic Oscillation ???

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

Current temp 2dgrs c but real feel is -5...brrr...remained at 2 for majority of night and rose, slightly, to 3 but real feel was up and down from -1 to -6! Good aul air temps deceiving us

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

Ice ice baby...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

Ya fingers crossed that nothing will be able to stop the huge amount of cold air at the pole from seeping down to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Seems to be spitting a small bit of slush in athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

What was 1985 winter like? Anyone got a link to it?

More importantly ,

Whats more important to us ,

A negative NAO (North Atlantic Oscillation) OR

A negative Arctic Oscillation ???
    It would be the AO
    NAO was neg last jan and feb but AO was not and it meant we had no snow once the AO goes below -2 we get colder air over us most times
    Mark vogan has just done a update on the cold he thinks it will start from end dec into jan

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Weather-and-Climate-Through-The-Eyes-of-Mark-Vogan/368502778051

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

Thanks

The weather postman was on radio today he said a normal winter for ireland this year with little snow also said next few winters wont see much snow either
    Id say he is going by the sunspots beefing up so less chance of the jet doing strange things
    Bit silly for him to go as far as saying next few winters will be mild he reminds me of piers coming out with stupid predictions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Unless the sunspot is doing the Siege of Ennis with the donkey in the barn, I doubt it very much he is basing his predictions on present or future levels of solar activity. He bases his predictions on the natural environment in his native Donegal, something that has been practised down through the ages and some would say with considerable accuracy.

I prefer the scientific approach myself but am always interested in what this gentleman has to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

The weather postman was on radio today he said a normal winter for ireland this year with little snow also said next few winters wont see much snow either
    Id say he is going by the sunspots beefing up so less chance of the jet doing strange things
    Bit silly for him to go as far as saying next few winters will be mild he reminds me of piers coming out with stupid predictions
    The Donegal postman doesn't use sun spots lol.
    He goes on signs of nature,like what the birds are doing,the animals,how many berries are on the holly etc etc

He has a book out where he talks about his auld timer ways of predicting the weather.

He was right last year probably because what was coming nature wanted to last a month so of course the birds were eating all the holly berries.
    I am a believer myself in nature having it's signs.

It's no exact thing so for example,that postman may genuinely feel that no severe winter is ahead but you could still get a week of north easterlies and a few days with a few inches of snow which we'd all go mad about on here and find memorable...
    Mr postmans prediction for an overall ordinary winter would still be right though if there was only 1 interlude like that as a week is a very short time inside 3 or 4 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

oops...wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

also said next few winters wont see much snow either
    I just listened to it on replay. He never said anything about the next few winters don't know where you got that from.

http://2fm.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=1%3A3129512%3A4678%3A02%2D12%2D2011%3A
    Hes on there at around 1h:11mins.

Dave fanning was pretty much clueless with everything. I don't think he ever heard of Michael before and he had trouble understanding him, plus Dave didn't even know what a new moon was lol

Pangea wrote: »
    also said next few winters wont see much snow either
    I just listened to it on replay. He never said anything about the next few winters don't know where you got that from.

http://2fm.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=1%3A3129512%3A4678%3A02%2D12%2D2011%3A
    Hes on there at around 1h:11mins.

Dave fanning was pretty much clueless with everything. I don't think he ever heard about Michael before and he had trouble understanding Michael, plus Dave didn't even know what a new moon was lol
    He was also on newstalk today thats where he said about it
    Sounds like rubbish to me he also predicted a very bad winter a few years ago and he was totally wrong
    You can only predict weather 3 weeks ahead anyone who gets a long term forecast correct is just lucky

Sounds like rubbish to me he also predicted a very bad winter a few years ago and he was totally wrong
    Sounds like rubbish to most scientific people, that doesn't mean its wrong.
    What winter was that?

Pangea wrote: »
    Sounds like rubbish to most scientific people, that doesn't mean its wrong.
    What winter was that?
    It was well before we had any of the cold winters and he was on saying it would be a very cold winter etc

It was well before we had any of the cold winters and he was on saying it would be a very cold winter etc

So you don't have the date or a link.
    Well I never heard him talking about Cold winters, and I have been seeing him in the local paper for the past 10-15 years.
    He warned many times that heavy snow was coming and he was right about it on those occasions. I never heard him saying a very cold winter would come before the previous two, he warned about snow events yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

You can only predict weather 3 weeks ahead anyone who gets a long term forecast correct is just lucky

I find him and his traditional methods interesting.

A lot of the old folks around here make similar predictions based on nature's 'signs'. It's part of our heritage and culture and if nothing else it is a bit of craic.

I also don't believe for one minute he is a snake oil salesman trying to dupe people that he can predict the future nor fleece them. Unlike some spoofers out there.

• Advertisement

It was years ago and in the local paper
    You seem to know more about his forecasts and as you said he gets them correct so maybe his ways work
    Id love to know what signs in nature he goes by etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement