Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Android developers at NUIM? Looking for a paid job?

Options
  • 17-06-2011 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi there,

I'm developing an iPhone app for NUIM and am looking for an Android developer to port this app to the Android platform. This is a paid job, and it involves replicating the existing functionality and UI, in other words it's mostly a programming job and not so much a design job. If you know your stuff, it should take no longer than a week or two to finish.

So, in case you (in no particular order, but all equally important)
    • Have a decent programming experience for the Android platform
    • Write clean, efficient, elegant and more or less future proof code
    • Can implement a given UI so that it works well and looks great and native on the large variety of devices and screen sizes (in particular mobile handsets and tablets)
    • Have experience with SQLite databases
    • Already have apps on offer in the Android Market Place
    • Can access different Android Devices for testing and demonstrating your work
    • Are a nice guy or gal to work with, reliable, professional, highly motivated and excited about whatever you are up to
    • Live in Maynooth or at least hang around NUIM over the summer
    Then please give me a shout. This is a great opportunity to earn some money and a nice job to add to your portfolio.

Thanks!

Florian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

floz wrote: »
    replicating the existing functionality and UI

Pretty much a recipe for disaster right there. Android works differently from iOS, the basic functionality may be the same but the UI doesn't quite work the same way.

For example there's nothing more infuriating to android users then having options menus and such on screen, when there's a physical menu button you could have used to hide away those things you don't need to access or see all the time into a nice little menu bar.

The same goes for search and back as well. Don't leave them out in the cold.

Just a personal gripe, UI porting directly from iOS to Android always ends badly in my opinion.
    And you never see it go the opposite way, because it simply can't.

Please please please keep that in mind...

Good luck, If I wasn't so busy atm, I'd be all over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 floz

Thanks Alt_Grrr. You seem to be the person I'm looking for ;-)

The UI is not crazy complex, just really straight forward stuff. A bunch of tabs, and tables to drill-down on information stored in a big SQLite table

You sure you're too busy? It should be a well enough paid job ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

I'm kept busy these days, but if your stuck, I'm sure I could go without sleep for a for while to work on it.

Post your ad in the Dublin Google Technology Users Group too, lot of young android devs around there (Link here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

A shame I'm busy with other stuff because I've developed for the Android platform before with SQLite!

Wishing you the best of luck with finding someone to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

If you're still looking:
    I'll be around Maynooth until September.
    I've experience in iPhone app development and UI development in c#.
    I'm little short on the android development but would love the CV pimping opportunity. I reckon I'll be able for it because as a general rule of thumb UI development is a piece of p1ss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 floz

Thanks C# for your offer, but I already found someone. Sorry!

Advertisement