Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Bank to join?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I've done a bit of research as past few days and I decided i'll open a account with NAB. I found a great page that compared all the accounts in oz(cant find in now) and the NAB classic account with a Visa Debit card seemed the best. No fees at all it seems.

heres the link to its info:
    http://www.nab.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/nab/nab/home/persoal_finance/5/1/2

Here's a link I noticed in the News section of Google.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/168081/20110623/nab-stokes-banking-war-challenges-rivals-to-match-its-offer.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

KingdomYid wrote: »
    from my experience on here there seems to be a lot of smart replies to peoples questions

We are talking about coming to Australia on these threads...... It might help to have a thick skin.
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Liam_Flag wrote: »
    What is the best way to take out cash when I arrive in Oz at first?

What if any are the charges like for using my Bank of Ireland Laser card over there?

Thanks!

I did that when I came over, but it is an expensive way to go.

Using a BOI laser card at an ATM you're allowed to take out 300 dollars a day, and I think I was charged around 20 euro each time.

I had big trouble with money when I arrived so be prepared for this:

1) AIB laser cards are restricted to only $100 a day. (My girlfriend was badly caught out when they lowed it to that).

2) If you try to do an international bank transfer through your Bank 365 web account, you're going to have to first register your Australian account details and receive a confirmation code via text message or snail mail.

If you choose to do it by text, you'll find that you receive nothing. I tried it 5 times, then had to ring BOI customer support on skype, then wait for them to investigate. The answer they gave me is that they don't have a "deal" in place with an Australian phone operator to send secure text messages here. So they can't text confirmations to any phone in Australia.

So you'll have to get them to send out a letter in the post, and you'll need someone in Ireland to get the letter and tell you what the code is.

It was such a hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

What's the best way to transfer cash over to on oz bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

GiftofGab wrote: »
    What's the best way to transfer cash over to on oz bank account?

Forez - do a search on either this forum or boards - lots of info on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jeebus H Christ

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    If you choose to do it by text, you'll find that you receive nothing. I tried it 5 times, then had to ring BOI customer support on skype, then wait for them to investigate. The answer they gave me is that they don't have a "deal" in place with an Australian phone operator to send secure text messages here. So they can't text confirmations to any phone in Australia.

So you'll have to get them to send out a letter in the post, and you'll need someone in Ireland to get the letter and tell you what the code is.

It was such a hassle.

That's funny, the problem I had with BOI was trying to get an activation code sent to my Irish mobile number! After several attempts at registering, re-registering, and speaking to some moron at B365, I decided to register my Aussie mobile number (Optus), and have had no problem having activation codes texted to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jeebus H Christ

In relation to the OP, I have an account with ANZ, whose customer service I found to be signally underwhelming. They admitted in my branch yesterday that I had been wrongly charged account fees, and seemed delighted to be able to inform me that they wouldn't be charged in future. When I asked them to reimburse the fees I'd already been charged, the customer service guy said they can't! Apparently only the branch manager can do this...bureaucratic but reasonable. However, they can't pass the request on to her...eh?! I was told I'll have to arrange to meet her another day...honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

hey guys,
    sorry to jump onboard OP but just seeing as its a banking question aswell i said i would ask..
    I have done everything with usit (im doing america and new zealand etc before hitting sydney) and they gave forms to join Westpac which is fine
    just wondering, ive an email with loads of different things i need to do...my bank has to sign 2 copies, ive to post it london wait for credit check blah blah and then i get my account. this would before i go..
    would it be just as easy to wait till i get there and just go and open one when i get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I didn't have to do that with westpack. Check the website. I applied online for an account from outside oz. They will post and email your new account details to you so you can transfer funds to it. Then just go to what ever branch you selected to arrive at with id to confirm opening the account and they will order your atm card and post to your oz address if you have one. If not collect from branch in a few days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ammo123

rightyabe wrote: »
    I've done a bit of research as past few days and I decided i'll open a account with NAB. I found a great page that compared all the accounts in oz(cant find in now) and the NAB classic account with a Visa Debit card seemed the best. No fees at all it seems.

heres the link to its info:
    http://www.nab.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/nab/nab/home/persoal_finance/5/1/2

Here's a link I noticed in the News section of Google.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/168081/20110623/nab-stokes-banking-war-challenges-rivals-to-match-its-offer.htm

Thanks for this, think I'm going to change bank account now. Paying $5 fee every month with ANZ, and there online bank isn't great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I opened an account online with NAB - the emailed me my account info within 2 days. I can transfer money straight over and they gave me the name of the person i need to meet with when I get there. Just need to contact them 2 weeks in advance of my arrival to make the appointment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 EternalCowboy

I would recommend NAB. No monthly account fees and you can overdraw without penalty (not sure how much though). It's free to withdraw money from NAB ATMs and 'Redi' ATMs which are pretty common. Free Visa debit cards too without transaction fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Bansai

Just a quick question. Im going to try opening an account with NAB before I go over to Sydney in Sept. The only thing is they are asking for an Oz address. We are staying at a hostel until we get a place to stay. Will the bank accept a hostel address? And is it safe to put a hostel down as your temporary address?

Appreciate any help!

Bansai wrote: »
    Just a quick question. Im going to try opening an account with NAB before I go over to Sydney in Sept. The only thing is they are asking for an Oz address. We are staying at a hostel until we get a place to stay. Will the bank accept a hostel address? And is it safe to put a hostel down as your temporary address?

Appreciate any help!

Unless they've changed it in the last month or so... I didn't put an Australian address down for my application...

http://www.nab.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/nab/nab/home/personal_finance/15/23

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Cupcake.

Hi Bansai

I signed up to CBA, they just used the bank's own address in Collins Street to get us started and once we found somewhere to live I rang up to change the address.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Unless they've changed it in the last month or so... I didn't put an Australian address down for my application...

http://www.nab.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/nab/nab/home/personal_finance/15/23

Only problem with that is if you're getting a debate card from them. They will post it overseas once it's not a credit card, but that's really of no use to anyone.

Simply stick down the branch address and collect everything from there until you get settled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Is that a card that lets you argue with the bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Zambia wrote: »
    Is that a card that lets you argue with the bank?

funny-sports-pictures-i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

For what it's worth,

I'm with ING Direct for my day to day banking and savings account. They're online accounts - they don't have branches but you can lodge money through AusPost if you need to. No account fees at all.. No ATM fees if you withdraw $200 (what they actually do is reimburse the fee immediately into your account. It's very handy being able to use any ATM) and if you get $200 cashout using EFTPOS they actually pay you .50c.

No branches might be a downside for some but they are by far the best bank I've ever been with. I've had one problem in 3 years and they gave me $100 to say 'sorry'. The interest rate on the savings a/c isn't bad either (not the best you can get but close two it). And their internet banking is as good as any I've ever used.

Before that I was with ANZ who used to charge me $6 a month just for the privilege of having an account with them and more depending on the amount of transactions I made.. Wouldn't touch them again if you paid me.

Also have a credit card with BankWest - Best rate & annual fee I could find and a fee free joint account (with the Mrs) with NAB for bills/rent etc. NAB are grand but their internet banking is horrible.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Only problem with that is if you're getting a debate card from them. They will post it overseas once it's not a credit card, but that's really of no use to anyone.

Simply stick down the branch address and collect everything from there until you get settled.

I dont think there was an option for anything to be sent to me. I've made arrangements to go into the branch once i land in Melbourne to sign and collect everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 RaZZTheKiD

i set up my NAB bank account online in Ireland

in oz now and should be picking up my bankcard today

have online banking set up aswell

only thing is they have charges on using any other ATMs, so just use NAB ATMs

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

I set up the NAB account last week and havent heard anything, how long did it take them to get back to you? I want to transfer some cash while the euro is strong against the AUD

I set up the NAB account last week and havent heard anything, how long did it take them to get back to you? I want to transfer some cash while the euro is strong against the AUD

Was is this link you got it from http://www.nab.com.au/movingtoaustralia/

Maybe you tried opening a account from a different link, which could of been for residents of australia, the link above should let you open a account and I got my e-mail back 3 days later but my gf got it after 1 day, even though I opened mine first.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I opened a NAB account from that link too a few weeks ago and received an email from them within a few hours. Their service seems pretty good so far, all my questions (via email) were answered straight away despite the time difference.

Just waiting to transfer the funds across at the minute. I'll send half my savings across today/tomorrow I think and hold off to see how the exchange rate fares out over the next few weeks before I transfer the rest of it. It was down at $1.29 a week and a half ago whereas today it jumped above $1.40 :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

rightyabe wrote: »
    Was is this link you got it from http://www.nab.com.au/movingtoaustralia/

Maybe you tried opening a account from a different link, which could of been for residents of australia, the link above should let you open a account and I got my e-mail back 3 days later but my gf got it after 1 day, even though I opened mine first.

Hope that helps

Yep, thats the one I used, I just emailed them there to see what the story was, that Dollar better not climb against the Euro:mad:

Yep, thats the one I used, I just emailed them there to see what the story was, that Dollar better not climb against the Euro:mad:

Strange, Yeah I transfered my money last week with Ulster Bank and the rate was s**t, kills me now to check XE.com to see it now at approx $1.40. Its was down at $1.29 when i done it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I was thinking about opening an account before I go over too and having read some of the above posts I'm thinking I'll go ahead and do so. will make it easier to transfer my savings by going into my bank than online where TSB have a ridiculous €1500 a day limit.

NAB seems to be the overweighing choice too so I'll be a sheep and just latch on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LauraRB

Mod edit This user is a spammer - gonna edit the post rather than delete as some useful info END

Good to hear some great feedback for NAB. They are the major sponsor of the jobsite I work for (<SPAM>). Their migrant banking team is specifically designed to help people moving to Australia. You can open your account online up to a year before you actually arrive. You will receive an email containing your bank account details and the contact details of a dedicated banker in Australia. This will allow you to transfer funds to your account, and ask any questions you may have to an experienced banker. Your banker will also be able to give you your bank cards when you meet with them, rather than having to wait for them to be ordered, so you will have immediate access to your funds.

Their website is www.nab.com.au/movingtoaustralia. They also have an offering for NZ & UK - www.nabgroup.com/migratbanking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 JonnyCash10

Got an account set up with ANZ through traveltowork,from what im reading they do not seem to be very popular why is this exactly?

Jebus I was also unaware of tsb's limit of 1500 a day which is gonna be a pain,Might set up with another bank here on the back of that if that will help,but will these money tranfer crowds be able to transfer more than 1500 from a TSB account?

Could an admin add a poll to this thread if threadstarter doesnt mind?
    Just to see which bank is most popular as I really dnt like paying fees that othe banks dont charge for!

• Advertisement
Advertisement