Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this be the 4th summer in succession without heat?

Options
  • 17-06-2011 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

:(

Looking ahead that plunge of sub Arctic air seems to be pretty much a permanent feature for northern Europe (albeit at least in France etc they will get the odd blast of hot weather).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

mike65 wrote: »
    :(

Looking ahead that plunge of sub Arctic air seems to be pretty much a permanent feature for northern Europe (albeit at least in France etc they will get the odd blast of hot weather).

I think you'll find its the 5th poor summer in a row:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Hopefully it leads into a beastly cold winter with epic amounts of snow, especially over waterford:pac:

Tbh I am glad its not warm, anything over 20 celcius and I can't function, unbearable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Birdnuts wrote: »

Maybe your are right. Too many to count at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Last summer wasn't so bad.....

The Weather of Summer 2010: Warm and dry for most of season; sunnier than normal everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It was sunny and dry esp down here but we got 9 days of real heat (in early June I think) and that was that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Summer of 2010 is as good as we get except for the rare exceptional summer. If you want a better chance of good summers then you'll have to move to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

I thought last summer was pretty good for most of may and june and the first two weeks of july.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

2010 was okay as summertime goes in my book, but the met eireann summary did note that there were few hot days and this matches with my recollection. I prefer when the weather's not scorching hot even by Irish standards but too often, whenever there was settled weather, it brought with it a stiff breeze off the Irish Sea.

2006 was much better (though the Irish Sea kept temperatures down here when it was hot overall) and no summer in the last 10 years gave the widespread and prolonged heat of August 2003. I expect that was the exception and not the norm.

Does anyone feel there has been a horrible trend for the best weather to fall in early June over the past 5 years?! (August 2010 excepted) The adage about school exams could have some merit:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

oh ye 2006 was briliant! was camping in the wicklow mountains that year and have never enjoyed the summer in ireland so much.

This year is starting to remind me of the 2007 summer, the one where rhianna released "umbrella" and it rained almost constantly the whole summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The Sun is dead, mini ice age.

Yes.

We have four or five more to go. And as the Sun is seemingly in a possible 70 year Maunder minimum, maybe make that 80 years more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,513 ✭✭✭Heroditas

wonton wrote: »
    oh ye 2006 was briliant! was camping in the wicklow mountains that year and have never enjoyed the summer in ireland so much.

There was one weekend in August that year when the humidity was as bad as places like Florida at that time of year.
    Very unusual and extremely unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Joe Public wrote: »
    Summer of 2010 is as good as we get except for the rare exceptional summer. If you want a better chance of good summers then you'll have to move to them.

FA beach weather plus a very chilly August does not a good summer make:(

PS: All the models tonight point to continued poor fare as we head into July - looks like the only summer weather I'm going to get is when I head to Kenya later in the year:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

gbee wrote: »
    The Sun is dead, mini ice age.

Yes.

We have four or five more to go. And as the Sun is seemingly in a possible 70 year Maunder minimum, maybe make that 80 years more!

:eek:
    Mini ice age? Maunder minimum? Please don't say we're in the first five years of a Maunder minimum.........tooooooooooo scary :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I am glad its not warm, anything over 20 celcius and I can't function, unbearable

Lol, its winter here in perth and its 20 celcius and iam cold! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

slowburner wrote: »
    Mini ice age? Maunder minimum? Please don't say we're in the first five years of a Maunder minimum.........tooooooooooo scary :eek:

Scary indeed. But the important thing is we must think up some new taxes to levy so we can be seen to be doing something about it.

It's a little inconvenient, but I'm sure a few extra taxes will sort it out pronto.

{I'm being sarcastic} but I bet they'll want to launch nukes at the sun to 'wake it up' keep watching and buy a few extra blankets, if you can't afford one, there will be brand new used ONCE blankets left behind after the winos sleeping rough.

Good quality blankets too, just €40 in Guineys and your free, but you better be early as the City Councils bring them to the landfill [which would cost you €60] for free and the local charity's will provide a new clean blanket the next night, so soon YOU can have a new blanket for all your family.

That's a HOT tip. Store it up. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

gbee wrote: »
    Scary indeed. But the important thing is we must think up some new taxes to levy so we can be seen to be doing something about it.

It's a little inconvenient, but I'm sure a few extra taxes will sort it out pronto.

{I'm being sarcastic} but I bet they'll want to launch nukes at the sun to 'wake it up' keep watching and buy a few extra blankets, if you can't afford one, there will be brand new used ONCE blankets left behind after the winos sleeping rough.

Good quality blankets too, just €40 in Guineys and your free, but you better be early as the City Councils bring them to the landfill [which would cost you €60] for free and the local charity's will provide a new clean blanket the next night, so soon YOU can have a new blanket for all your family.

That's a HOT tip. Store it up. :)

I've read that twice and I know its sarcastic but it still makes very little sense! :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I've read that twice and I know its sarcastic but it still makes very little sense! :P
    Me too. I lost track when the blankets were mentioned. Better go to Guiney's all the same :p

Advertisement