Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Msc in Data Analytics (DIT Kevin St)

Options
  • 17-06-2011 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,
    Interested in this course and would love some feed back on anyone who is currently doing it. Particularly, how practical is it, what tools are used, is there any programming, do you use r, what is the maths content like, advantages, critiscisms, other obs.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

I've applied for the part-time option starting this Autumn.

There's a pretty detailed course document at http://www.comp.dit.ie/msc/documents/DT285DT286Programmedoc.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Paddy Orwell

Paul,
    Many thanks for that. Very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

How are you getting on with the course? I am considering applying for it. This seems to be a growing area job wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Speaking very generally, I would say that there would be a demand for people who are comfortable with statistics and data analysis in virtually any industry. There is a severe shortage of maths literate people in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

djpbarry wrote: »
    Speaking very generally, I would say that there would be a demand for people who are comfortable with statistics and data analysis in virtually any industry. There is a severe shortage of maths literate people in the world.

Thanks djpbarry, this is the main reason I was looking at this avenue.

I would consider myself strong at maths, however I'm currently in the construction industry and looking to change. I have talked to the programme coordinator and it appears I am suitable, I just wanted to receive some feedback about the course directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

If anything, djpbarry is being somewhat understated in his comments!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ramblingcelt

Am looking at this course as well as the msc in smurfit business school. I found talking with the course director in DIT very helpful.

The campus for smurfit looks better. DIT is like an old secondary school from the 60s but this says nothing about the course quality. If you have a strong education in maths Smurfit has the better saleable reputation if looking to go abroad. DIT seems better at bringing people up to speed.

There is a lot of work available for graduates in this field with at least one centre of excellence opened in Dublin but many in the UK and the US also.
    http://spotfireblog.tibco.com/?cat=228

Have not yet decided myself. :confused:

Advertisement