Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On waiting list???

Options
  • 17-06-2011 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

My sister, age 30 with kids. Never really had a full time job only one or two part time ones years and years ago due to having a family early.

Cant remember but she left school with either no junior cert of the bare minimum, think it was bare minimum.

She now wants to get back into study now the kids are bigger, she applied for pre nursing course, 2 yrs in waterford (she lives there and due to family wants to stay around this area). Didnt get in but was told she is in the top half of the waiting list for any cancellations or leaving results that dont accept. Anyone know what the chances are she might get in? I think she is about 15th out of 50. But at this stage should she start looking at other options.

She has been to fas, no help at all. Her ideal career would be nursing, but with no education and being out of work so long she seems to have a bit of a fight to get a place, and she is losing hope but I dont want her to give up due to this.

I will suggest to maybe try get a job for a year and apply next year. Has anyone ever gotten in the second yr of applying after being refused the first yr?

Also are there any other options open to her? Possibly trying to get a course in another career path but is it too late to apply for this year?

What are the best websites/places to go to get help with getting back to education?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

My advice is not to give up as she may get in but in truth its not looking great. She should try get as much education behind her before applying to college. The VEC is a great place to start with regard to adult education. The local adult education office (look in phone book or ask around) would be my first stop if I was her.

As I have said she should really look at what she wants and how best to get there. VTOS do great courses so again try the adult education guidence place and they can better advise. Places like this and VTOS can help put her on the right path and give her a chance to really think hopefully be the very best the next time she goes for college. Hope this helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Postit

I know nothing about nursing so perhaps someone else here can give you the info you want regarding the course in Waterford.

I will say this though; all colleges/universities when assessing potential mature students put a lot of stock in recent study. I appreciate that your sister hasn't studied in quite some time, but my advice would be to enrol for a small online module in somewhere like the Open University, taking a science or health module e.g. http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/s154.htm

Doing and passing a course like this will show the college/university that she really wants to do the pre-nursing course and that she has recent experience in studying.

If she spent this year doing a good quality and relevant online module from the OU, I would say she has a much better chance of getting in next year. She could always run this idea by the course co-ordinator in Waterford to see how it would improve her chances next year.

Also, doing an online course will allow her to dip her toe in the water study-wise and get a job too!

Hope this helps and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 siobhan2005

Many thanks for the helpful information, ill get her to contact vec and see if they can help, getting some more education seems to be the way to go.

She would be happy doing this, its just she didnt know where to start.

I went through the traditional route ie leaving cert/uni I didnt have too much information to help her situation.

Ill also get her to contact the college (its a plc course i think) and ask what she could do.

Advertisement