Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Skype Work on Meteor WITHOUT WiFi

Options
  • 17-06-2011 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I am looking to move phones from 3 to Meteor.
    Unfortunatly I use my phone as much for Skype as for normal calls and texts. As such I need Skype in non-WiFi zones. I was in the Meteor store and was told if I buy a data plan I will be able to download and use Skype through this.

Has anyone had experience using Skype through a data plan with Meteor?

If so how did you find it? What level of Data usage did it take?

What phone did you use? Just interested as I have a budget of €100 for the handset and ideally dont want to spend more than €30pm.

Cheers! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

I've got Skype on my N8 and it works great although I haven't used it over 3G yet - but the function is there. I've only used it with WiFi, but I'll switch over to 3G later and let you know how it goes.

You could get the Nokia C7, which is very similar to the N8 for €120, and pay €30 per month for which you'd get 200 mins, 200 texts and 1GB of data. You also get all Meteor/Meteor calls and texts for free if you're not already a Meteor Bill pay customer, I think. (I didn't get the free Meteor/Meteor because I was on a 1 month rolling contract :mad:)

https://phones.meteor.ie/bp/choose_a_plan

The C7 is a good phone, but Nokia are switching to Windows Phone 7, and will release their first WP7 handset this year hopefully. However, Symbian^3 will continue to be suppored by Nokia, with 2 substantial updates on the way to improve the look of the OS and add functionality. People will call it a dead OS, and in some respects their right, but it's no worse than some Android handsets which will not be getting the lastest updates either.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Hi Kevin,
    Thanks for your info.
    This all started when I lost my phone over the weekend. I have just given up and gone back with a 3flexi €25 Contract for 12months: 300 flexi units (1 min call/ 2txts/ 500KB Data) 350 webtxts with a free HTC Wildfire. Also included 15GB broadband with Huawei E585 €15 Contract for 12months: €29 setup and on months free phone rental.
    If its half as good as they say on the tin it should suffice. Though I would prefer the Meteor 30day contract so I wouldnt have to think about bills and contracts etc.

Advertisement