Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brushing toddlers teeth?

• 17-06-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

So I know you are meant t brush your babys teeth as soon as they get them, but does this actually work for anyone? My little girl is 14 months, and only bites me when I try! Its rather painful and makes brushing impossible.

Has anyone been there, and if so do you have any suggestions? Thanks so much! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ktod

We had that!
    Did a few things that worked:
    Gave The Boy a toothbrush to play with, put in his mouth, hold, that type of thing until he got used to it. Also let him see myself, his Dad and his big brother brushing our teeth. Brought him to Tescos and made a huge deal of him picking a tootbrush and toothpaste. And happened to see an episode of Peppa Pig where Peppa and George are brushing their teeth - might be on youtube?
    Anyway, all of the above really helped and now we brush our teeth 'like George and Peppa'.
    Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Addison is obsessed with brushing her teeth :D

Saoirse, on the other hand, just bites the toothbrush... wash her teeth with a facecloth and some water (just rub them, no need for anything vigorous yet)... They say not to use toothpaste until they are over two.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pinkyponk2

Let him/her do it themselves. Even if they just chew on the toothbrush its still cleaning.

I've handed the toothbrush to my daughter since she got her first tooth. Obviously she didnt go it brilliantly at first but she's now 2 & 10 months and can brush her teeth really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

i use toothbrush and pretend to brush mine first then do hers, she's actually rather good she's only 8 teeth but lets me brush them for her for about 30 secs then wants to lick it. I tried cloth but disaster, you can get little babies brushes and these are handy, also seen in chemist one that is like teether

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

It's a nightly struggle that often ends in tears ! Some of the things mentioned above have helped. And turning it into a game that Peppa pig, Nemo, her cousins, minders at creche etc ... are all hiding in her mouth and we have to get rid of them often works. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Thanks all! I use the dentinox baby toothpaste, and some nights i just brush it along her teeth and then let her suck on it as she bites so hard! Other nights I don't even bother. Worried this will be bad for her in hte long run.

I had gone into the chemist yesterday, and they were useless. Asked about using a toothbrush and they just said she was probably too young and we might hit the back of her throat?? :confused: I know I look young, but I'm pretty sure I'm capable of brushing my toddlers few front teeth without major disaster!! :p

What toothbrush would you all recommend? I Think using a toothbrush and making it a game sounds like a brilliant idea, its what I had wanted to do anyway!

Thansk so much for the replies! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The early brushing is really only to get them accustomed to it while they're teething the flow of saliva keeps any plaque build-up at bay. Keep doing what you're doing and the habit will form and as she gets older she can work on her technique.

i just got colgate one in tesco if u look at kids brushes they all have ages

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Leafonthewind

Turning it into a game has worked for our two-year-old daughter. We think of what she's eaten beforehand and go hunting for those stray pieces of food with the toothbrush. She opens her mouth wide and we say "here's a piece of that broccoli you just ate, and here's some of that banana you had this afternoon, etc." while we brush. And then we hand over the toothbrush and she "brushes" her own teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I have a 10mth old and since he got his first tooth i have brushed his teeth with a finger toothbrush at first he was unsure but now he is fine he does bit it sometimes but sure thats to be expected so maybe instead of a normal toothbrush try the finger one first to get your little one used to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

My eldest son and I always brush in the morning and at bed time. The baby copies everything his brother does which makes it a little easier:D

At the start I brushed the babies and made a train noise which he liked.

Now however he wants to hold it himself and use any toothbrush other than his own on:rolleyes: so he basically chews on it, and I get to brush them briefly.

Early days yet but its justa case of getting him used to the idea. Good luck with it.

oh god i try use a cloth on Elisha was grand till she got few teeth, now i even dread putting bonjela on her back teeth as if u dont go in at the right angle you'd get your finger bit off ya!

I think getting them to copy is easiest as everything I do she wants to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Hacked, are you using the finger brush that comes with the detinox toothpaste? When I used that I had the same reaction, nearly lost my finger!

I got a baby toothbrush in Tescoes this weekend. At first I tried brushing her teeth for her, but she was having none of it & wanted to do it herself!
    I let her do it herself & I brushed my teeth at the same time so she could see what to do.
    The first few times she just messed around with it & spent more time brushing her eyebrows with it than her teeth, but by tonight she seems to have got the hang of putting it in her mouth.

Its a colgate toothbrush I got and nice and small for her little hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Yep, went out and bought a toothbruh in tesco. They have cheap little turtle brushes, tesco brand. Very cute, Looking forward to trying it out! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Megan is on to her 2nd toothbrush. Started just giving her the toothbrush to chew on while she is in the bath. She cleans her teeth in the morning with either me or her daddy, depending on who has got up with her. She's not a religious 2 minute brusher, but she has a tootbrush and knows what it is for and is getting into the 'habit' of brushing her teeth, regardless of whether she is doing it right or wrong or sticking the toothbrush down her throat!

I think while the little people are so young, its more about teaching them the habits and skills for life. They will get the hang of it in the long run.

I suppose the only other thing you can do now to promote good oral and dental hygiene is to just be careful that the little people don't eat too many sugary foods and that juices are well diluted.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 subrosachick

My little boy used to love having his teeth brushed but after a few months he refused to let me put the brush into his mouth. I got around it by buying a chewable baby brush that he uses himself. While he's busy chewing away (usually the handle rather than the brush!) I manage to insert the other brush - with a wee bit of baby toothpaste - into his mouth while making a funny sound. He finds it hilarious - and the teeth get brushed:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Lately i've found that if I put a bit of water in the sink, then sit him on my knee he messes around with the water and lets me get on with brushing his teeth. He loves water so this works well for us and has prevented tears and tantrums (from both of us) while trying to brush his teeth!!

Advertisement