Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprenticeship

• 17-06-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I've been working in a bar in dublin for the last few years since i finished school but have been let go.

i would like to do an apprenticeship but seeing as there are limited opportunites here in ireland i had a look at the uk site and there are obviously a lot more so i was thinking about making the mover over.

i no apprentice wages over there are less than a 100 pound a week but i would be living with my aunt in kent so if i were to find an apprenticeship in that area is it possible for me to do it over there? what would i need? Are they for uk citizens only?

thank you for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

go for it if you really want to do it

first year or two will be tough money wise but you never know you might get overtime and that you know

its worth it i think best thing i ever did so if you want it you will suffer for a year or two its hard work being a tradesman, long hours, very phyisical work, you could be getting up at an ungodly hour to travel to a job i often did 25 hours a week in the car going to and from the job on top of a long week

but i still loved it, and if you dont it will find you out fair quick so go for give it a go anyway whats the worst that can happen?

course you can do it in the uk you just need an national insurance number to start working

best of luck with it hope it all works out

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Country lane

It might be worth checking out the hotcourses website for suitable colleges in kent - http://www.hotcourses.com/community/homePage.jsp?x=16180339&y=&a=0

• Registered Users Posts: 34 billy87

thanks for the replies, can you apply for the national insurance number while im still in ireland or do i have to be england to do an interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

you can get one in the north i think if you go up not to sure i seeing that on boards before

but if your going to be living with your aunt you have an address anyway and thats what there looking for, when your over ring the nearest one tell them your story and they'll bring you in for an interview, fairly quick and painless i've heard you just need a uk address and a few bits of id like your passport and stuff

have a read of this should tell you all you need to know

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/BeginnersGuideToTax/NationalInsurance/IntroductiontoNationalInsurance/DG_190048

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

This might be the site you were looking for but have a look at this site I stumbled upon the other day : http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/Be-An-Apprentice.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 billy87

i wont be able to stay with my aunt now which is disappointing so going to have to look into an area that has a lot of apprenticeships and move over and start looking,

Advertisement