Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Ticket - Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 17-06-2011 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

I used to be a bit casual about parking but can't afford to be now.....

Anyhow last week got a shock when I saw the parking attendant moving off from my car as I came back froma short walk on the seafront and yes he'd left me the present of a ticket!

Funny really - what happened was that earlier I was parking in the town and as I went to pay a man passing handed me an all day permit saying "here take that - I don't need it - valid all day". Great - thanks a million. I put it on the dashboard and did my shopping. Then, equipped, as I thought, with an all day permit I decided on a walk on the seafront - drove down, parked, walked and then got the ticket. Turns out the permit was only for the one street - I never bothered to read it - just assumed. I'm quite pissed off with my good samaritan as I would just normally have paid the parking but now I have the fine!

Does anyone have sympathy for me? did I read somewhere that Dun L are v inefficient at collecting fines - any chance I could ignore it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Does anyone have sympathy for me? did I read somewhere that Dun L are v inefficient at collecting fines - any chance I could ignore it?

ticket should not only be valid on one street I would not have though unless streets had different rates. Harbour area for example is totally separate as run by the harbour co not the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

no sypmathy for you, you should always check things for yourself. you learnt a lesson to be responsible for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

I'm quite pissed off with my good samaritan as I would just normally have paid the parking but now I have the fine!

Does anyone have sympathy for me?

I totally understand your pain. I suggest you hang out on the street your originally parked on and wait to find that "good" samaratin again. Then demand he pay for your parking fine.

If that doesn't work you could start a Facebook campaign to have the bad (I refuse from here on in to refer to him as good) samaratin poked to death with pointy sticks covered in his own poo.

I mean, I had a cup of coffee the other day and it was hot! I nearly burned myself. What's that about!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Dún Laoghaire Parking attendants are Privately operated so you will definitely be billed, any parking ticket I've ever paid for has a street name on it

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Never knew they had street names so I feel sorry for you OP, but as someone also caught in Dun laoghaire, you'll def get chased for it.

You can appeal if you want? sometimes the appeals are understanding, I got off a Luas fine once because on my first time on it, i didn't realise they had a time limit to be used :o explained all this in a formal appeal and didn't have to pay so honest mistakes can sometimes be valid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

You'll most definitely get billed, as it is a private company.

Tbh, i have no sympathy at all. As harsh as it may sound, it is your responsibility, and yours only to check and make sure you have a valid parking ticket for the area that you are parked in.

The company take pictures of your 'illegal' parking, which can be viewed online.
    They most definitely would have taken a picture of the ticket which was on display, along with the dashboard etc. So there will be no recourse, or chance of getting off.

Edit :
    Also, a major reason for the ' single street ' permits, is offices and places of work, such as the HSE offices on Musgrave Street. Some of the staff there have permits for that street, but no other roads. I assume that this is the same throughout the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

since when has DL had private wardens, they all council aren't they:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

How can I have sympathy for such simple carelessness? If something is too good be true, then it should be checked further.

Anyway,the parking people are vultures that prey on us all and our role in the game is to deprive them of their major income by either paying for parking or not parking somewhere that needs to be paid, so always double-check to make sure the don't have any chance to lighten your wallet for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No they have outsourced to apocca

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

since when has DL had private wardens, they all council aren't they:confused:

At least 3 / 4 years, prob more at this stage.

Some council ones still walk around the odd time ( Brown Uniform ), but the private company wear blue and black, or red and black.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

The brown uniforms are based at Garda Stations and are state employees. The others are agebts for the council

• Registered Users Posts: 29 misslolapants

I've been to Dun Laoghaire court for ignoring a fine, they do grow & if you continue to ignore them, you'll end up in Dun Laoghaire court with a load of junkies n a judge pissed at time wasting over such minor issues. May aswell pay up now before it gets worse & count it as a lesson!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Electricsail

Bit tough really, parking in Dun Laoghaire for several years now, never saw street name on ticket before. Check the parking regulations on DLRCOCO site, which were updated last January. Believe it or not, before they were updated, parking in a pay and display area without paying for it was legal. A road marking, RRM016, was not included in the bye laws. I disputed it with the council and got my parking tickets cancelled. I also got fines that I had paid refunded by cheque.
    Shows the way the private parking companies (APCOA) and the council see parking fees as a revenue stream, rather than as a control as they have always claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Electricsail

The brown uniformed lads and lasses are employed by An Garda Siochana and give out tickets for non-display of motor tax. The private parking company do not give out tickets for non-display of tax, presumably as there is nothing in it for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

Tickets always have the street name on them because different prices on different streets.

And they don't do tax fines because they don't get the money from them - dublin city would

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pekka

Just paid €80 clamping fee to Dunnes Stores Dun Laoghaire. Strange had to pay in cash in the store! And was only looking for pyjamas. Avoid parking in the Dunnes Stores Dun Laoghaire carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

That's odd. Was it an actual clamping company? Like NCPS? or was it just dunnes security?

and how'd you park to get clamped?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

Pekka wrote: »
    Just paid €80 clamping fee to Dunnes Stores Dun Laoghaire. Strange had to pay in cash in the store! And was only looking for pyjamas. Avoid parking in the Dunnes Stores Dun Laoghaire carpark.
    Did you get a receipt ? who took off the clamp ?.No way would i have paid them i would have sat on the floor and refuse to move.Get in touch with their head office and ask about their policy re customer parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

I parked in Knock-na-Cree park this morning (free parking) cul-de-sac in Dalkey. I parked at least 30ft from the junction inbound into the estate (beyond the double yellows). On returning to my pride and joy discovered a plastic bag under my window valued at €40 as the cul-de-sac has a solid white line down the middle. It claims i was blocking the right of way. I will pay it to get rid of them, but on stubborn grounds will shop in other places in the future.

You can't park beside single white line where it would cause passing traffic to have to cross over the continuous line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

I totally agree, i think the white line in here are excessive in length also the double yellows only go a fraction of the distance.
    They must be raking it in during the week with the few Dart users that park in the same spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Lenstroni

DLRCC have some nerve in fairness. Visitors have to pay 2 Euro per hr to bring money and people to an otherwise dying town. Talk about biting the hand that feeds them. Its an Irish solution to an Irish problem! Next time forget Dun Laoghaire and go to Dundrum where you get 3 hrs for the price of 1. At least they value our custom.

A Dun Laoghaire resident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Lenstroni wrote: »
    DLRCC have some nerve in fairness. Visitors have to pay 2 Euro per hr to bring money and people to an otherwise dying town. Talk about biting the hand that feeds them. Its an Irish solution to an Irish problem! Next time forget Dun Laoghaire and go to Dundrum where you get 3 hrs for the price of 1. At least they value our custom.

A Dun Laoghaire resident.

You will love this :

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/council-defends-annual-bill-for-staff-car-parking-2953494.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Morlar wrote: »

That should be taxed as a BIK!! €700 each a year!

It would probably be cheaper (and closer to Council offices) to park in the other shopping centre - shur nobody goes in there any more anyway!

homer911 wrote: »
    That should be taxed as a BIK!! €700 each a year!

It would probably be cheaper (and closer to Council offices) to park in the other shopping centre - shur nobody goes in there any more anyway!

What gets me is that they could use West pier for free but don't fancy the walk.

"I would not consider the West Pier car park to be especially convenient."

Think about how close that is to the council offices, bearing in mind this is public money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Morlar wrote: »
    What gets me is that they could use West pier for free but don't fancy the walk.

"I would not consider the West Pier car park to be especially convenient."

Think about how close that is to the council offices, bearing in mind this is public money.
    But wouldn't that take a whole load of spaces out of public usage at the West Pier?

But wouldn't that take a whole load of spaces out of public usage at the West Pier?

There are plenty of spaces on the east and west pier monday to friday. Weekends can be a different matter.

Advertisement