Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuse Board replacement cost

Options
  • 17-06-2011 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    What would I expect to pay an electrician to move an old style (with white enamel screw-in fuses) fuseboard and replace it with a new one?
    The current fuseboard and metre are side by side in the garage. I plan on converting the garage soon and want to move it to the opposite wall.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

RTT wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    What would I expect to pay an electrician to move an old style (with white enamel screw-in fuses) fuseboard and replace it with a new one?
    The current fuseboard and metre are side by side in the garage. I plan on converting the garage soon and want to move it to the opposite wall.
    Thanks

anymore than 300 is a bit of a joke, make sure there registered and you get a cert for the esb

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

I had to replace the consumer unit in a rental and add an unit to protect electric showers from simultaneous use €400

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Thanks for that sparks and bakerbhoy. Do I need to get ESB to move the meter to the other wall or can an electrician do it? I've heard that metres now have to be placed outside for easier access to the meter reader. Is this true? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46,041 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks for that sparks and bakerbhoy. Do I need to get ESB to move the meter to the other wall or can an electrician do it? I've heard that metres now have to be placed outside for easier access to the meter reader. Is this true? Thanks
    Your electrician will fit the meter cabinet on an external wall and leave it ready for connection. The meter cabinet has to be located on either the front wall or on a gable wall within 2 metres of the front wall. See here

Thanks for the info guys. Got a quote yesterday for the job.

"Install new two row consumer unit to far side of garage
    Re-route all cables via the ceiling
    Install earth rod
    Install wiring and meter box for new ESB meter
    Supply cert for ESB"
    €780 incl. Vat.

This seems excessive. Nowhere near €300 as sparks24 suggested.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info guys. Got a quote yesterday for the job.

"Install new two row consumer unit to far side of garage
    Re-route all cables via the ceiling
    Install earth rod
    Install wiring and meter box for new ESB meter

Supply cert for ESB"
    €780 incl. Vat.

This seems excessive. Nowhere near €300 as sparks24 suggested.

all extras not mentioned in your original quote

reading about a job and actually seeing it are two very different things.

price sounds ok from reading your post but its all about what happens on the ground we cant tell exactly from a computer

sparks24 wrote: »
    all extras not mentioned in your original quote

reading about a job and actually seeing it are two very different things.

price sounds ok from reading your post but its all about what happens on the ground we cant tell exactly from a computer

Appreciate that sparks24. Do I need to get the earth rod and place the meter outside? According to the new regs, I think I do.

Appreciate that sparks24. Do I need to get the earth rod and place the meter outside? According to the new regs, I think I do.

yes there has to be an earth rod if its not there already and there has to be access to the esb meter from the outside

Advertisement