Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Course CCNA data networking lvl 6

Options
  • 17-06-2011 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I'm new to all this. After years of knocking about various jobs I decided to get my life in shape and get qualified. so at the tender age of 26:eek: I went back to education. I believe going back to education was the best move ive ever made, I finally feel a sense of direction and purpose and would recommend it to any adult whom for whatever reason did not complete their secondry education.

Anyway - Ive recently completed a fairly broad spectrum fetac lvl 5 IT course and gotten a place in a 2 year lvl 6 (advanced cert) in Data networking which also includes Cisco CCNA qualification and the obligatory safe pass.

I am a little confused by the different qualifications and abbreviations used by companies advertising job vacancies and am unsure as to my options and what I should focus on as the best possible career path.

I dont want to waste anymore time as Im already 27 and ultimately want to get working on a decent career path asap.

So after this data networking course I will have the opportunity to obtain advanced entry into a degree course in Blancherdstown IT or other such institute. I figure by the time I finish Uni I would be 31 or 32 depending on the degree type.

So maybe someone can help shed some light on my options;

would I be better off after this course continuing on to do an IT based degree? and If so would I need to renew my CCNA shortly after finishing this degree? (as I would have obtained my CCNA 2 years previous to the degree completion.)

Or would I be better off trying to go into employment with just my CCNA and data networking course under my belt and try gain further accreditation whilst tyring to work my way up. For example taking further cisco exams with home study?

Should I switch direction in Blanch IT and focus on Java programming as I seem to have a bit of a natural ability there that I could expand upon. I really enjoyed Java Programming in my last course, even though it was just fetac lvl 5 programming I found I took to it very fast and became quite good at creating small programs to perform basic tasks such as a payroll tax calculator and the like.

I really dont know what is more valuable to employers nowadays, a degree? or lots of abbreviations on my cv such as CCNA etc?

to try and become a network engineer?, a Java Programmer?.... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I think you'd be better of progressing to CCIP or CCNP after the CCNA and start working. The earning potential IMO is much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

iRock wrote: »
    I think you'd be better of progressing to CCIP or CCNP after the CCNA and start working. The earning potential IMO is much more.

Music to my ears! to be honest I want a degree (who doesnt?) but I want a decent starter job with potential to progress even more.
    I don't know much about the CCIP/CCNP.

Are they different levels or seperate routes?

would I need to take another course for them or could I just read some books after doing my CCNA and book an exam?

thanks for your ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Hi -
    I would second the suggestion to go after the CCNP exams once your done with the CCNA. A degree is all well and good to have on the CV but honestly your college course work will be completely useless to you unless you are studying networking specifically Cisco. I spent 5 years getting my degree which in the long run is now useless to me as there was little networking in it...I did help in getting me an interview though as HR require a degree often to be even considered.

ANyway, my advice is to do the CCNP but also try to get some experience with a company. Even if you work for free it will be worth it to get some hands on experience and also help with getting a job later on.

CCNP is different from CCIP. Better idea to get a CCNP before an CCIP if you have little experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

nellocono wrote: »
    Hi -
    I would second the suggestion to go after the CCNP exams once your done with the CCNA. A degree is all well and good to have on the CV but honestly your college course work will be completely useless to you unless you are studying networking specifically Cisco. I spent 5 years getting my degree which in the long run is now useless to me as there was little networking in it...I did help in getting me an interview though as HR require a degree often to be even considered.

ANyway, my advice is to do the CCNP but also try to get some experience with a company. Even if you work for free it will be worth it to get some hands on experience and also help with getting a job later on.

CCNP is different from CCIP. Better idea to get a CCNP before an CCIP if you have little experience.

Thats great to hear, I really do want to pursue qualification as opposed to academia. As part of my course I will be doing one day per week work experience maybe after the course I can convince the company to give me more full time work experience while I look for a job.

Advertisement